X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New threads

Originally posted by goon View Post
    Correction, the best way to project players is through rule changes
    That's not what I'm arguing. I am arguing that any helmet today would protect against injury more than a leather helmet. That is what I'm arguing, not what is the best way to protect players. Leather helmet < modern helmet.

By the way, how this got to this argument is pretty, pretty good.
    Originally posted by JackFan96
    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post
      The more I'm researching it, the more I'm finding conflicting information. Most studies that I have read say something along the lines of more time being needed for anything conclusive to be proven.
      I know, I'm just giving you a little crap. Field turf, as much as I don't want to see it at CAS, is by far the most logical surface for a renovated stadium. Cold air climate in a place that is near sea level at a stadium utilized by multiple programs, gotta be field turf.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

That's not what I'm arguing. I am arguing that any helmet today would protect against injury more than a leather helmet. That is what I'm arguing, not what is the best way to protect players. Leather helmet < modern helmet.

By the way, how this got to this argument is pretty, pretty good.
        Make it into a poll question. see what other people think, I dont know how to do it. I would garuntee its safer then the modern helmet. A lot of NFL experts talk about how the helmet is considered a weapon and causes players to do things they would not do with out it, so that would justify to me using a leather helmet to help cut down on the injuries that are produced from the modern helmet.

I would guess Troy Palamalu(SP) would change how he leaps head first if he had a leather helmet. Even if he didnt, I bet it would produce fewer injuries.
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Make it into a poll question. see what other people think, I dont know how to do it. I would garuntee its safer then the modern helmet. A lot of NFL experts talk about how the helmet is considered a weapon and causes players to do things they would not do with out it, so that would justify to me using a leather helmet to help cut down on the injuries that are produced from the modern helmet.

I would guess Troy Palamalu(SP) would change how he leaps head first if he had a leather helmet. Even if he didnt, I bet it would produce fewer injuries.
          Hoooooooooow?

I literally don't know how to respond to someone that thinks a leather helmet offers more protection than a modern one.

You are one giant facepalm.

Comment

Hoooooooooow?

I literally don't know how to respond to someone that thinks a leather helmet offers more protection than a modern one.

You are one giant facepalm.
            It’s the helmet that can be the cause of the injury, so you remove what causes the injury, then less of the injuries would happen. Simple as that. The weight and size of the helmet, allow players to use them in a way that is essentially like a weapon. If it is not as big and hard of a helmet it’s not as dangerous. Its called critical thinking, they use to teach it in college. Common Sense should teach you to figure out what the problem is, see what causes the problem, they correct what’s wrong.

Explain how the modern helmet has saved injuries? There are neck and spine injuries are a direct use of how players use the equipment. You change the equipment and how its use.
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

It’s the helmet that can be the cause of the injury, so you remove what causes the injury, then less of the injuries would happen. Simple as that. The weight and size of the helmet, allow players to use them in a way that is essentially like a weapon. If it is not as big and hard of a helmet it’s not as dangerous. Its called critical thinking, they use to teach it in college. Common Sense should teach you to figure out what the problem is, see what causes the problem, they correct what’s wrong.

Explain how the modern helmet has saved injuries? There are neck and spine injuries are a direct use of how players use the equipment. You change the equipment and how its use.
              No. You are so completely wrong that I am at a loss for words. Helmets do not cause injuries cause of their weight or how they are used. Players are bigger and faster and stronger than they ever have been. That is why there are more injuries. Wearing a leather helmet is like wearing no helmet at all.

Here's my deal for you. If you think wearing a leather helmet is safer, meet me in Brookings and I'll smack you with a 2x4 while you're wearing a leather helmet. And then I'll let you smack me in the head with a 2x4 while I'm wearing a modern helmet. Cause I think you would feel a lot more pain than me.

Comment

And there won't be neck and spine injuries directly related to how players use leather helmets?

This conversation is one giant face palm

Comment

No. You are so completely wrong that I am at a loss for words. Helmets do not cause injuries cause of their weight or how they are used. Players are bigger and faster and stronger than they ever have been. That is why there are more injuries. Wearing a leather helmet is like wearing no helmet at all.

Here's my deal for you. If you think wearing a leather helmet is safer, meet me in Brookings and I'll smack you with a 2x4 while you're wearing a leather helmet. And then I'll let you smack me in the head with a 2x4 while I'm wearing a modern helmet. Cause I think you would feel a lot more pain than me.
                  So players are bigger faster and stronger, so shouldnt they be able to aviod injuries better while playing? Concussions are on the rise, spine injuires have increase. They are a result inpart because of the helmet. Modern helmets were designed to prevent skull fratcures. there are current very few standards in place to regulate helmet safety. Sure skull fractures are down, but more concussions have come up because of the helmet. There are an estimated 136,000 sports-related concussions in the United States each year among high school athletes, according to a recent study by researchers at the Sports Concussion Clinic at Children's Hospital in Boston and the Center for Injury Research. The American Academy of Neurology and the National Brain Injury estimates that as many as 20 percent of high school football players suffer at least a minor concussion in a season, most of which are not diagnosed.

Most concussions are a result of a jolt to the head back and forth.

The only thing that helmets are design to prevent, skull fractures, but how many concussions are caused because of the helmet.

If helmets are so safe, why did the NFL crack down, on helmet to helmet hits? Because the helmets are causing severe injuries. Seriously do some critical thinking, you will see the helmet causes a lot of the serious problems when it comes to injuries.

I gave you examples, now you try more then just your opinion.

You really got some major thread drift started here.

Comment

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
                    And there won't be neck and spine injuries directly related to how players use leather helmets?

This conversation is one giant face palm
                    If players do not lead tackling with their head, it would cut down on those injures yes. If they had a softer helmet, it would most likely keep players leading with their head.

Comment

If players do not lead tackling with their head, it would cut down on those injures yes. If they had a softer helmet, it would most likely keep players leading with their head.
                      But if they DID lead with their head, which one would protect them better?

I'm done.

Edit: I'm not trying to argue that players should lead with their heads. The ONLY point I am trying to make is that players DO lead with their head and that modern helmets protect them in those collisions more than a leather helmet would. And if you disagree with that statement, then I don't know what to tell you.
                      Last edited by RabbitObsessed; 12-16-2010, 07:38 PM.

Comment

But if they DID lead with their head, which one would protect them better?

I'm done.
                        Leather, unless they lead with enough force to fracture their skull. which rarely is the case. improper technique using helmets will cause it to be worse leading with the head. concussions are worse because of helmets, but you have nothing to argue with, but players maybe "feel" safe.

Case closed.

Anyways hope to see the yellow pants for all the home games this coming year.

Comment

Leather, unless they lead with enough force to fracture their skull. which rarely is the case. improper technique using helmets will cause it to be worse.

Case closed.
                          You are wrong.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/35983.php

There is a reason that they aren't worn today. They aren't safe.

Comment

Leather, unless they lead with enough force to fracture their skull. which rarely is the case. improper technique using helmets will cause it to be worse.

Case closed.
                            Let me understand what you are trying to say. If a football player ran into a brick wall with their head at the same speed and same angle with either a leather helmet or a current helmet their injuries will be more severe with a current helmet?

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                              Let me understand what you are trying to say. If a football player ran into a brick wall with their head at the same speed and same angle with either a leather helmet or a current helmet their injuries will be more severe with a current helmet?
                              Save yourself and don't get sucked in like I did.

Maybe parents should tell their kids to start wearing leather bike helmets???

Comment

You are wrong.
                                Use anything to back up your point, your opinion does not count for much. I know they will never go back to leather helmets, but you started talking about safety being a concern, so I showed that helmets can be a direct link to increase in injuries, now back up your point of view. Thats right, you can't.

Comment

Working...
                                X