Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Luke Meadows and TOB

Originally posted by SDSUFootballDad View Post
    there is NO WAY coach stigge can say next year "here you go TOB you can get the job done the starting spots yours" LOL . He has to be sitting next year, if it was me i would have pulled the red shirt freshman from the bench and would have been getting well ahead of the game for next year. This was one of the worst performances from a QB i have seen in a long time and hes had a few of them.
    Purhaps this post is a bit emotional.. and if so it's understandable, but Pulling the Red-Shirt would be the Dumbest thing at this point... Play the JuCO if you must.. but one should not cut off their nose to spite their face...

Comment

there is NO WAY coach stigge can say next year "here you go TOB you can get the job done the starting spots yours" LOL . He has to be sitting next year, if it was me i would have pulled the red shirt freshman from the bench and would have been getting well ahead of the game for next year. This was one of the worst performances from a QB i have seen in a long time and hes had a few of them.
      You are making yourself look like an idiot right now. Don't come on to an SDSU message board with "Football Dad" in your name and complain about the head coach and starting QB.

You must be the parent of a freshman player (probably a walk-on), because you're acting like one...

If you were really a part of the FAMILY, you'd have a better understanding of what goes on behind clothes doors and how decisions are made. Yeah, let's pull Sumner's redshirt for the last 2 or 3 game of a season where we aren't in the playoff mix. Great idea, Dad! Get a clue... And before you post, think about who reads these blogs.

On behalf of Stig, I'm disappointed in your post.

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
        Doesn't our whole QB issue go back to the fact that the coaching staff gave the keys to TOB, an underclassman, which caused Whittier and Mondol (SP?) to transfer?

I could be all wet here. This is my first season getting deep into SDSU football.

This probably should not be said, but someone on here said that they hope that TOB "gets the gears moving" between the ears. Based on his picture in the program, I wouldn't bet the house on it.

Suit and tie....dress sharp play sharp...just like work. Act like you want to be there.
        Whittier and Mondol transfered because they weren't NEAR the QB O'Brien is (will be/can be)... They would have never, ever, ever beat him out for the starting job - that's why they left the program....

Glad to have you supporting the Jacks, but with that comment, it makes sense that this is your first year getting "deep" into the program.

We've never had a quarterback "get his gears moving" prior to his Junior year, so let's not be so shocked that TOB is any different... Most QB's make a HUGE mental leap prior to their last season or two. I wouldn't be suprised if that isn't the case for Thomas as well.

Comment

And if you were the head coach last year, we wouldn't have made the playoffs. Let's give Stig some credit, at the same time, let's not cut him too much slack. I think it's good as a fan base that we are dissappointed with this team's performance, but again let's have some perspective. I'm not even sure how to feel. Dissappointed, hell yes! but I also have a lot of respect for Stig. Let's go out and win next week!
          LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Rabbit View Post
            Whittier and Mondol transfered because they weren't NEAR the QB O'Brien is (will be/can be)... They would have never, ever, ever beat him out for the starting job - that's why they left the program....

Glad to have you supporting the Jacks, but with that comment, it makes sense that this is your first year getting "deep" into the program.

We've never had a quarterback "get his gears moving" prior to his Junior year, so let's not be so shocked that TOB is any different... Most QB's make a HUGE mental leap prior to their last season or two. I wouldn't be suprised if that isn't the case for Thomas as well.
            I saw Whittier and Mondol play during the Spring game, and from what I saw neither of them would have been the "answer". Again, I'm not sure how to feel, but I am glad a lot of you are upset. As a fan base we need to expect more, but at the same time, we need to give more. We need to cheer louder, show up in masses, and donate in bunches. IT STARTS WITH US! At this level, money and donations mean a lot. If you want to see competitive team, put some effort forward!
            LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

I think its time to move on. TOB made more mistakes than he should have, and had a horrible day. I forgive him. Let's hope he does not have a repeat performance on Saturday. I think he has absorbed about as much wrath from this board to last a life time. Read Playing for Pizza a John Grisham novel. Good stuff. Grisham has primarily written novels about the legal profession, but he took a different turn on this book. He was speaking in general about how we jump on pro athletes for not performing to our standards in the NFL. The main character was really the goat after blowing several passes in a NFL playoff game. His agent got him a job in Italy playing in their verison of the NFL to escape the wrath he got after that one game where he ended up in the hospital. A particular sports writer just tore him apart. Even his opponents in the Italian version of the NFL referred to him as the Goat. Yet this fellow in the novel rallied and help the Parma Panthers win the Itailian version of the Super Bowl.

Maybe we should give our opponent credit for a stepped up pass defense. A defense that was not their in the prior three games that we won. I wish some of you could see the Indiana State-NDSU game tape. The NDSU defense shut down the QB and he did not get the pass yardage that he got a week later against SDSU. So there are 22 players on the field at one time and they often influence the out come of each and every play that is executed.

Comment

IMO, you can't criticize either Meadows or TOB without acknowledging their accomplishments as well.

Meadows has been one of the best, if not the best offensive line coaches in the conference, and maybe nation at our level. He is an asset to the program, not a detriment. Maybe he could use some work at playcalling... what college coordinator couldn't? IMO, the offensive line was one of the glaring strengths of this team this year, and Meadows is directly responsible for that. Looking to next year, offensive line will be one of the few knowns heading into the season, and Meadows should get the credit for that.

TOB was good enough to get us to contribute to getting us to the playoffs for the first time in 40 years. 40 years. We have had some great quarterbacks during that timeframe, and none of them could be a part of a playoff team. He also received high praise from his teammates in the preseason and early in the year.

There were aspects of this team that suffered all year long. Bad snaps on punts and kicks, poor rush defense, weak coverage on the corners, dropped passes, and too many throws to the other team.

Last year we were 8-4 and made the playoffs. This year not so much. What changed? Did TOB throw that much worse? Did Meadows call the games that much worse? Or could it be that our defense wasn't as stout, special teams weren't as tight, and receivers weren't as experienced.

Could TOB play better, sure. But to pin this season on him is disgusting, IMO. Anyone who believes a different qb, no matter how talented, is the answer to what ails this team is dilusional, again just my opinion.

If we start a RsF next year with an inexperienced backfield, receivers who drop passes, poor special teams execution, and a weak rush defense, you might as well kiss the playoffs goodbye.
                “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                  IMO, you can't criticize either Meadows or TOB without acknowledging their accomplishments as well.

Meadows has been one of the best, if not the best offensive line coaches in the conference, and maybe nation at our level. He is an asset to the program, not a detriment. Maybe he could use some work at playcalling... what college coordinator couldn't? IMO, the offensive line was one of the glaring strengths of this team this year, and Meadows is directly responsible for that. Looking to next year, offensive line will be one of the few knowns heading into the season, and Meadows should get the credit for that.

TOB was good enough to get us to contribute to getting us to the playoffs for the first time in 40 years. 40 years. We have had some great quarterbacks during that timeframe, and none of them could be a part of a playoff team. He also received high praise from his teammates in the preseason and early in the year.

There were aspects of this team that suffered all year long. Bad snaps on punts and kicks, poor rush defense, weak coverage on the corners, dropped passes, and too many throws to the other team.

Last year we were 8-4 and made the playoffs. This year not so much. What changed? Did TOB throw that much worse? Did Meadows call the games that much worse? Or could it be that our defense wasn't as stout, special teams weren't as tight, and receivers weren't as experienced.

Could TOB play better, sure. But to pin this season on him is disgusting, IMO. Anyone who believes a different qb, no matter how talented, is the answer to what ails this team is dilusional, again just my opinion.

If we start a RsF next year with an inexperienced backfield, receivers who drop passes, poor special teams execution, and a weak rush defense, you might as well kiss the playoffs goodbye.
                  Alot of good points made. It's a team game and by no means are ToB and Meadows to blame for the season. I'm as guilty as anyone for railing on them after NDSU, but you're right, they aren't the reason for a rough season, just a part of many things that went wrong this year.

Also, you are right about Meadows and the offensive line. He's been a great coach as witnessed by the annual looks our graduating linemen get from NFL scouts.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                    I know I'm not placing the entire season on TOB. My comments have been with his inability to not stare down a receiver. If he isn't able to get away from this fault, he is hurting the offense. Teams will continue to run at the one receiver he is looking at and the INT's will keep coming. Is he stubborn and won't listen to the coaches? Are the coaches really not seeing this fault? Don't know the answers but when the common fan sitting in the stands sees this every game, do you not think players/coaches from other teams are not seeing it.

I totally agree we have had other issues which have affected our season. The long snapping is one that sticks out to me too. Giving opposing wide outs a 10 yard gap at the line kills me. I'm just saying this is something that TOB needs to work on, otherwise next year is going to be the same. If he doesn't and someone else can, maybe they do need to switch.
                    Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

When did this board turn into the Bison board? Lots of hate being thrown around here. I think we can all agree we're disappointed in the outcome of this season. I think we can all agree our QB play was especially disappointing. Everyone had hoped TOB would show improvement this season and that did not happen.

I think his play was a combination of 1) new WR's across the board, 2) a horrible first game which had to negatively impact him for the rest of the year, 3) play calling that reflected a lack of trust that TOB could make the correct throw if asked to make a throw down field (which was reinforced when he actually made throws down field), 4) and a lot of dropped balls (there were at least 3-5 dropped balls per game - and easy catches most of the time).

I also was able to watch couple of practices during Fall Camp. From what I saw, there wasn't a lot of pressure being put on TOB by the other QB's. Will there be next year after some seasoning? I hope so. I also hope TOB takes this season's mistakes and uses them as motivation to prove all naysayers wrong. That is the only way he's going to get better. He needs to hit the weights and throw a lot of passes this offseason.

One thing is clear: we need improved QB play next season by whomever is behind center if we are going to win games. Right now the book on us is stop the run and force them to pass.

One last thought - we need to get the penalties under control. Way too many dumb personal fouls this season. Those are mental mistakes which shouldn't happen.
                      "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum View Post
                        One last thought - we need to get the penalties under control. Way too many dumb personal fouls this season. Those are mental mistakes which shouldn't happen.
                        Good post. As for the penalties, I've mentioned this the last several years. The UNI game was really terrible and during the Ind. St. game they may have cost us a chance to win as well.
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Come on people...TOB is not the sole reason we are going to finish under .500 for the first time since 2001. Has he played his best, not even close, but considering the receiving corps he had to work with this year, this isn't all on him....or Luke Meadows for that matter. Both are fully capable of leading this team to the playoffs, just like they did last year!

A glaring stat that is really hurting us this year:

SDSU is now minus-8 in turnover margin for the season, tied for last in the Valley.

From Terry's Blog
                          Also, the grass isn't always greener on the other side. Sumner had a great high school career at Brandon Valley there is no denying that. The press hyped that up more than it probably should have. But that doesn't equate into him being the next great Jackrabbit QB. I've heard the reviews of Sumner and his abilities are rather mixed (at best) after a season of him running the scout teams. Bottom line, he's got a lot to learn just as TOB does. All the coches on the SDSU staff know how to evaluate talent, not just Meadows or Stig. I trust our coaching staff knows what they would be getting had they pulled Sumner's redshirt this year and thrown him to the wolves. We would have seen a lot of INTs from him as well.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                            Come on people...TOB is not the sole reason we are going to finish under .500 for the first time since 2001. Has he played his best, not even close, but considering the receiving corps he had to work with this year, this isn't all on him....or Luke Meadows for that matter. Both are fully capable of leading this team to the playoffs, just like they did last year!

Also, the grass isn't always greener on the other side. Sumner had a great high school career at Brandon Valley there is no denying that. The press hyped that up more than it probably should have. But that doesn't equate into him being the next great Jackrabbit QB. I've heard the reviews of Sumner and his abilities are rather mixed (at best) after a season of him running the scout teams. Bottom line, he's got a lot to learn just as TOB does. All the coches on the SDSU staff know how to evaluate talent, not just Meadows or Stig. I trust our coaching staff knows what they would be getting had they pulled Sumner's redshirt this year and thrown him to the wolves. We would have seen a lot of INTs from him as well.
                            This same scenario plays out everywhere football is played.

If the offense does well then praise is lauded upon the coaches and the qb. When it doesn't go well then they get all the blame. Its part of the gig and isn't always accurate. Is it to a degree, absolutely but BtownJack is right, there were plenty of factors that led to the struggles.

I'm pretty sure there is nobody more disappointed about the way things have turned out than the coaches and the players. I trust them to figure it out.

Its kind of funny how things have changed in five years. We used to be an average DII team and now our fans expect to be in the FCS Playoffs every year. I'm thrilled that we are thinking that way and that it is a realistic goal. Nobody wins it all every year!

SUPERBUNNY
                            MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

If your hands are on the ball every play from offense. Well, almost everyplay, your dictate what over 40 plays happen with your passing. You deserve to get blame, at the same time, when you lead us to the playoffs, you deserve praise. Stats dont lie. If he plays smart and in the system, we win, if he forces and tries to create more then he should, we loose. Our system is designed to run like 40 times a game and pass 25, not the other way around. Its to much for him.

Its also the plays. After running 5 yard out routes for a year and a half or a swing pass to the RB. its obvious the D will start to figure that out. If he is good enough to be the starting QB, he should be able to handle more passing options. He has yet to prove and consistancy is not there, staring down recievers are though. Look at the points per game Crawford put up as a starter last year, then TOB won some games but the point production was much less.

We have an Offensive like that is talented enough to do more then block up the middle runs. They provide good pass coverage. Don't be afraid to punt, TOB needs to learn that. WR missed some bunny passes, but they also have taken licks and hits, because they have to stop and wait for the ball to be deleivered. TOB can not hit a timing route, and the WR are too experienced to make up for it.

I don't care who is going to be QB next year, but they have a lot of learning to do. Inexperienced WR no depth or experience at RB, iffy QB play lack of strong D line, in consisitant secondary. We have a lot more questions going into next year then I think we did this year. That makes me worry.

all that said, I trust Stig will right the ship and beat our expectations for next year.
                              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post

Isn't TOB largely responsible for our turnover margin?
                                Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Working...
                                X