Luke Meadows and TOB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Luke Meadows and TOB

As incompetent as Brad Childress is,he gave a good piece of advice when he was throwing Favre under the bus after throwing some interceptions - "Sometimes you have to remember that it's OK to punt the ball". Hopefully TOB realizes this before next season.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
      As incompetent as Brad Childress is,he gave a good piece of advice when he was throwing Favre under the bus after throwing some interceptions - "Sometimes you have to remember that it's OK to punt the ball". Hopefully TOB realizes this before next season.
      Exactly, especially as well as our defense was playing. Trying to force things is a sign of immaturity and it can be corrected. I don't know what to say about Meadows but I sure think a screen or two would be a much better idea than swing pass after swing pass. TOB is just so immobile and that must limit play calling options.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Meadows gets alot of credit for the great offense we had with Berry and Harris, but I think Coach Bailey had alot to do with that too. He was only here for one season, but I think he had a nice impact on Ryan Berry.

Comment

Originally posted by sfjacksfan99 View Post
          Never been a fan of Meadows, even when he was a "genious" when Berry was under center. TOB, I defended all year.

I'm done with both. Eric Eidsness and Austin Sumner should be in those two positions next year.

Those two jokers have cost this team way too many games this year. With the game 14 all today in the 2nd half, all Meadows wants to do is throw when his rotten quarterback can't hit an open receiver and throws into coverage way too much. I know Minett was hurt. But they seem to think Duffy is quite capable, so why didn't they run the ball? Either that or bring in Clare.

Straw that broke the camel's back was today. These two guys should be out. Is this a knee jerk reaction? Maybe. Should it be considered? Absolutely.
          With a fan like this, SDSU does not need fans.

Comment

I think you are spot on. Meadows should never have gotten all the credit when Berry exploded his senior year. Bailey was the pass game coordinator and transformed the offense that year. It didnt hurt that there were other strong targets to throw to besides harris. Fox actually led the conference in receiving most of that year and you had Steffen as a number 3 which is pretty nice.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies View Post
              With a fan like this, SDSU does not need fans.
              He only spoke the truth. What are we as fans supposed to say:

"Ahh shucks, we'll get 'em next time..."
              "That's ok Thomas, good try..."
              "He's only a Soph, he'll get better..."

B.S. The fact of the matter is that TOB has been terrible this year. His stats and his play don't lie. He has regressed, not progressed. As fans, we expect better, want better and deserve better.
              "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
                He only spoke the truth. What are we as fans supposed to say:

"Ahh shucks, we'll get 'em next time..."
                "That's ok Thomas, good try..."
                "He's only a Soph, he'll get better..."

B.S. The fact of the matter is that TOB has been terrible this year. His stats and his play don't lie. He has regressed, not progressed. As fans, we expect better, want better and deserve better.
                You obviously do not follow or know many of the people associated with the football program. Just stating an obvious fact.

Comment

TOB's rating by NFL standards would be 63, it is an easier number to relate to than the NCAA number.

With a 63, give someone else a try.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies View Post
                    You obviously do not follow or know many of the people associated with the football program. Just stating an obvious fact.
                    You are right. I am sure that those people associated with the program are saying that TOB is progressing just the way that they expected. I am sure that they are thrilled that TOB threw 3 TD passes at NDSU. It is just too bad that two of them were to the wrong team.
                    -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

I might as well chime in. I have a lot of hope for our receivers in the years to come. I would like to say the same for TOB, but I simply can't. There were probably four games this year (Delaware, NDSU and UNI for sure...and probably Illinois State, too) where his performance gave the team no chance -- NO CHANCE -- to win. As I posted elsewhere, he doesn't just play poorly...when he's bad, he's an abject disaster.

Our play calling is very, very vanilla. I can buy that we don't have the personnel to do anything more this year, but you need to try on occasion just to make it a threat. But it extends beyond this year, so...I think it's a fair topic for us to whine about.
                      Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

I think there we have to somewhat look at the inability to put O'Brien on the bench. You can't keep trotting a guy out there INT after INT. We simply could not bench him for a half a quarter or even a series. Just to let him settle or something.
                        We really need to address this and get our QB situation in order. Lotzer? Is he back next year? Rumor was academic issues. Is that Jordan Thomas going to become somewhat useful as a backup? If Sumner beats TOB out for the starting position how does TOB handle it? Does he bail? And we're stuck again with a single QB option? Would Lotzer even consider playing again since Sumner is on the team? Our entire QB situation is in disarray in my opinion.
                        I watched the Jackrabbit Insider and they had a great interview with Jeske. I'm just wondering at least Jeske could have run when the play broke down vs. throwing an INT. Don't get me wrong he was fun as heck to watch play this year.
                        With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Eidsness's primary job is Quarterback's coach/passing game coordinator.

Meadows' primary job is associate head coach/offensive coordinator. Meadows' secondary job is to coach the O line not TOB.

Meadows' is not responsible for most of TOB's failures; Eidsness's job is directly related to TOB's failures.

My first question - Is Meadows, per his offensive coordinator title, directly responsible for Eidsness's results in QB play and failure in the passing game? Obviously, Stig is responsible for all, but what responsibility does Meadows directly have as offensive coordinator for Eidsness failures/successes?

My second question - If we agree that the passing offensive play calling selection is poor - does this come down to Meadows calling poor plays or Eidsness failure to provide proper plays in that particular game plan for Meadows to call?

My belief, not confirmed, is that Meadows comes up with running game plan. Ditto for Eidsness coming up with the passing game plan. I do not see that the Jacks have a running backs coach. I'd guess this is one of the unfunded coaches position. However, we can all agree, that the Jack's running backs, thru the years including this year, have been fantastic. Who gets the credit for that? Meadows? Stig? Also, everyone at the beginning of the year was worried about the O-line. Meadows has developed a deep offensive line. Also, who gets the credit for the great offensive game plan vs. Nebraska?

It also seems to me that TOB, when he is not locked onto one receiver, passes to an area and not a receiver. Is this TOB's fault for not being able to read progression or Eidsness's fault for not coaching him to do this?

It will be an interesting off season. TOB has had a year and a half already to prove himself. We saw the results. The QB job will be wide open this summer.

Comment

I have always disagreed with Meadows and his play calling ability. Example on Saturday of this: 3rd Qtr, we are down, we run a dive with Duffy that gets stuffed, we are sitting at 2nd and long. We decide to run the "Flash" with an injured Minnet, who cannot run effectively at this point of the game, NDSU being well coached understands this, they key on Duffy as Minnet cannot run, play gets stuffed, now it is 3rd and long. That is bad play calling. That tells me they had nothing else in the bag, they had no idea what to do. Once again, bad coaching cost us the game. Why do you think NDSU was putting highlight reel hits on our guys all game? They were well coached, knew every read off of our vanilla offense, and were properly positioned to lay huge hit after huge hit.

TOB's confidence is shot now, which I blame on Meadows. Defenses knows where we are going to be at all times, as we cannot evolve the offensive play calling to put him into situations where he isn't going to get picked off.

Yes it is probably time to move onto Sumner, but I hope Meadows is gone to give him a fighting chance.

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
                              I think there we have to somewhat look at the inability to put O'Brien on the bench. You can't keep trotting a guy out there INT after INT. We simply could not bench him for a half a quarter or even a series. Just to let him settle or something.
                              We really need to address this and get our QB situation in order. Lotzer? Is he back next year? Rumor was academic issues. Is that Jordan Thomas going to become somewhat useful as a backup? If Sumner beats TOB out for the starting position how does TOB handle it? Does he bail? And we're stuck again with a single QB option? Would Lotzer even consider playing again since Sumner is on the team? Our entire QB situation is in disarray in my opinion.
                              I watched the Jackrabbit Insider and they had a great interview with Jeske. I'm just wondering at least Jeske could have run when the play broke down vs. throwing an INT. Don't get me wrong he was fun as heck to watch play this year.
                              No way Lotzer is coming back.. He was lazy and didn't want to put the time in that it takes to be successful.

Comment

Don't waste the redshirt season for Sumner. But I hope TOB really works hard in the off-season to learn the ability to look off defenders. I find it hard to believe the coaches have not noticed this and if they haven't, makes you wonder what games they have been watching. Every game I've been to this year has been the same--defensive backs from other teams are jumping on the pass routes. I don't care if the play calling is vanilla, but we can't expect any type of passing game if defenses can watch the QB's eyes and know that's the only person he is going to look at.
                                Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Working...
                                X