Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WIU Game

Originally posted by SpeedRabbit View Post
    If we score 35 points I'll buy every one on this forum a drink!!!!!
    I have not drank alchoholic beverages in nearly 40 years, but I would gladly claim a free diet coke if this happens. It might cost 75 cents in my case, but otherwise, its going to be expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
      Patterson is looking for a job as an offensive coordinator.
      Originally posted by slosho View Post
      I like how this is added....
      No hidden meaning there.

In the story I read, Patterson simply said he doesn't want to be a head coach anymore and is seeking positions as an offensive coordinator.
      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
        Can you imagine SDSU treating Ralph Ginn in this manner who did sucumb to cancer I believe. I can not. WIU really did botch this affair and it cost them no doubt. At the Difference Makers breakfast this morning, just in passing Stig noted on the scoreboard at WIU it has all their playoff appearences which number about a half dozen. He mentioned that these were all to Coach Patterson's credit. He did not allude to the controversy of last season, but merely pointed out the accompolishments. If I recall correctly, Coach Stig and staff spent some time with Coach Patterson and his staff. I want to say it was the first year of the transition. So Coach Stig apparently thought highly of Patterson.

WIU brings a great defensive set that they have had for years. He diagramed it several times. It is a set somewhat of a one on one coverage. There two DB's who are often hard to track and they end up all over the field. They executed real well against Purdue and Sam Houston. He showed clips from both games. Defensively we will have our hands full, and with a struggling offense, the end result does not bode well in my mind.

With Barr at QB and others I think we are going to have a long night. Thats why I picked WIU in the prognagstics. I hope I am very wrong on that one, but right now, our guys are not playing with confidence. On the bus ride home, he texted the the staff for a list of all the mental mistakes that the guys made and they came up with a total of 62. Even Ryan McKight had five and some of them were penalities. If the fans on this board are in a tizzy, our guys are too, and that is basically our big problem. We are putting pressure on ourselves and lack the confidence that we had last season.

Thats the short and long of what I heard this morning.
        Good summary. Thanks for posting it.
        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I have not drank alchoholic beverages in nearly 40 years, but I would gladly claim a free diet coke if this happens. It might cost 75 cents in my case, but otherwise, its going to be expensive.
          Well, I haven't drank alcohol in about 40 minutes and already need my fix. I call his drink!

Comment

Originally posted by Danger41 View Post
            Well, I haven't drank alcohol in about 40 minutes and already need my fix. I call his drink!
            The way my luck is going this is how it'll probably pan out SDSU 35 Speedrabbit is now broke and W Illinois puts up 35+ At that point u might as well dig the hole and throw me in it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Can you imagine SDSU treating Ralph Ginn... Defensively we will have our hands full, and with a struggling offense, the end result does not bode well in my mind.

With Barr at QB and others I think we are going to have a long night. Thats why I picked WIU in the prognagstics. I hope I am very wrong on that one, but right now, our guys are not playing with confidence. On the bus ride home, he texted the the staff for a list of all the mental mistakes that the guys made and they came up with a total of 62. Even Ryan McKight had five and some of them were penalities. If the fans on this board are in a tizzy, our guys are too, and that is basically our big problem. We are putting pressure on ourselves and lack the confidence that we had last season.

I like the fact that everyone is looking inside themselves and are talking about the mental mistakes made at UNI. I'm actually feeling good about this game and think it is going to be a breakout week for the offense. I'm predicting we put up two early TDs (Minnett gets his first one of the year, TOB throws for a second) to go up 14-0 in the first and we end up with a win, 42-17 final score. Maybe it is the blue sky and sun with a dusting of snow on the higher peaks this morning that has me thinking positive but I think this team breaks out of a slump at home this week. Sadly I think attendance is under 10,000.

Note the lack of going over 10K isn't due to adults not attending, I think the student showing will be the problem Saturday.
              Last edited by jacksfan29; 10-07-2010, 09:34 AM.

Comment

Stig makes an excellent point in TV's Valley teleconference. The team"s biggest problem has been the inability to stop the run. This is a very astute observation. That is why he is the head coach and we are not.

NIU ran at will last Saturday. Delaware ran at will. It is demoralizing to the team and the fans.

We seem to be lacking the huge, space eating DT that we have had in the past aka Stewart. These guys don't earn the accolades of the pass rushing D lineman but they win the games.

We do have Dijon Starr red shirted, but he may be more of a pass rushing DT than a run stopper.

I am interested to see what the defense will do to stop the run this week.

I think the offense will come untracked also having a second game at home.

Jacks 35 WIU - 24

Comment

I hope I am very wrong on that one, but right now, our guys are not playing with confidence. On the bus ride home, he texted the the staff for a list of all the mental mistakes that the guys made and they came up with a total of 62. Even Ryan McKight had five and some of them were penalties. If the fans on this board are in a tizzy, our guys are too, and that is basically our big problem. We are putting pressure on ourselves and lack the confidence that we had last season.

I agree with your point, but -

Playing in that artificial atmosphere will cause mental errors. They had artificial noise going while we were at the line of scrimmage. Also, a fan was pointing a laser at the SDSU players. The ref told them to stop, but it kept occurring. The ref should have called a 15 yard penalty on the home crowd when it happened again.

I know they are DI players and not supposed to make the mental errors, but the pro's do it too. Look at what happens to the Viking opponents when they have to play in the toy box at the dome. Same thing. Artificial noise causing penalties and mental errors. Remember the Jacks lost at NIU two years ago also with Berry. Good thing the Jacks play like champions at the Fargo Dome.

I don't understand why the conference bans SDSU cow bells. How is it fair that NIU and NDSU get to pipe in all that fake noise but SDSU is not allowed to ring a cow bell in an outdoor stadium? Maybe Daktronics can come up with an artificial cow bell noise maker. Then it would be legal.

Comment

Originally posted by shot_5533 View Post
                    How is it fair that NIU and NDSU get to pipe in all that fake noise but SDSU is not allowed to ring a cow bell in an outdoor stadium?
                    This would be a great question for Justin Sell or the conference commissioner if they are ever on TV's live chat again.
                    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

For the record, it's UNI, not NIU. NIU would be Northern Illinois University.
                      "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

I woke up this morning all happy thinking it was friday, because that would mean i get to see my jacks play tomorrow. Well I got to work and relized it was thursday so now I am crabby because I have to wait an extra day.

I guess last night drinking a bottle of White Zin messed with my ability to tell time.
                        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Stig makes an excellent point in TV's Valley teleconference. The team"s biggest problem has been the inability to stop the run. This is a very astute observation. That is why he is the head coach and we are not.

NIU ran at will last Saturday. Delaware ran at will. It is demoralizing to the team and the fans.

We seem to be lacking the huge, space eating DT that we have had in the past aka Stewart. These guys don't earn the accolades of the pass rushing D lineman but they win the games.

We do have Dijon Starr red shirted, but he may be more of a pass rushing DT than a run stopper.
                          I am interested to see what the defense will do to stop the run this week.

I think the offense will come untracked also having a second game at home.

Jacks 35 WIU - 24
                          We only have four guys on the line, the LB's have to plug the holes,& defend the LOS from sideline to sideline,+ be able to sniff out pass plays & drop back into short coverage. We did very well against a good running Neb team.In the UNI game,i saw the dl fighting off blocks,way too much space in the LOS for a back to pick a hole to accelerate through & blow by the secondary.Need better game plan IMHO to stop the run.Maybe vary the number of guys at the line of scrimmage to disrupt & confuse thier blocking scheme would be worth looking at.
                          Last edited by jackdaniel; 10-07-2010, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfan29 View Post
                            Sadly I think attendance is under 10,000.

Note the lack of going over 10K isn't due to adults not attending, I think the student showing will be the problem Saturday.
                            I think you will be surprised with attendance Saturday. It's the Beef Bowl this weekend, which is consistently the 2nd largest attendance draw of the season behind Hobo Day. I would be very surprised if it was anything less than 12k and I expect it to be between 13k-14k. Now on the other hand, hopefully the weather cooporates. Looks like a 30% chance of T-storms Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by State_fan View Post
                              I think you will be surprised with attendance Saturday. It's the Beef Bowl this weekend, which is consistently the 2nd largest attendance draw of the season behind Hobo Day. I would be very surprised if it was anything less than 12k and I expect it to be between 13k-14k. Now on the other hand, hopefully the weather cooporates. Looks like a 30% chance of T-storms Saturday.
                              I agree. I would not hold out much hope for attendance after hobo day, but this week I expect a rather good crowd and good effort from the team.
                              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I'd say that's the biggest problem on defense. But the entire team's biggest problem? Doesn't it have to be the ability to score points? Aren't we 116 out 117 in scoring for FCS with 0 first half points on the year?
                                Originally posted by JackFan96
                                Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Working...
                                X