• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• goon
    replied
    Re: 2011 Schedule

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
    And the year before that they proved they could beat them.

I refuse to say that we need easier competition. SDSU needs to step their game up.

I really don't see how playing a weaker regional team will help SDSU when it comes playoff time.

Bring in good teams and the crowds will come.
    I never said it would help the play offs, but it could help bring in gate revenue. You dont think there would be good fan turn out if Augie game up for a game during a 12 game season? I for one think regional fans would be interested in it. and if we have 11 counter games, what is the problem trying to fill a 6th home game with a regional shool. I would rather play D-2 they waste a home game for a bye week which doesnt help us get closer to the playoffs or to bring an revenue in.

Leave a comment:

• SoDakJack
    replied

Originally posted by goon View Post
    And last year proved had a hard time beating them. Maybe not go for D-2 schools, but if we can play 12 games in a season and can get a good gate at home for the 6th game against a regional team, I think it needs to be considered.
    And the year before that they proved they could beat them.

I refuse to say that we need easier competition. SDSU needs to step their game up.

I really don't see how playing a weaker regional team will help SDSU when it comes playoff time.

Bring in good teams and the crowds will come.

Leave a comment:

• jackmd
    replied

Any advantage to scheduling less than DI level FCS opponents are outweighed by the importance of playing as many DI games as the schedule allows. FBS games are beneficial because of the large sum of money and the exposure so they should remain and in my opinion be a priority.

Ideally, we'd have a minimum of 6 home games per year but I'm okay with 5 as long as all the games, home or away, are DI level. I don't buy into the idea that beating a lower division or lower quality team does anything for confidence or helps to prepare a team for the next game or the rest of the season. Practice is what prepares you for the game that week.

Leave a comment:

• goon
    replied

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
    Could not agree more. SDSU went D-1 to play against D-1 opponents.
    And last year proved had a hard time beating them. Maybe not go for D-2 schools, but if we can play 12 games in a season and can get a good gate at home for the 6th game against a regional team, I think it needs to be considered.

in an 11 game Schedule if we play a BCS confrence game we need to counter that with a very winnable game. Not a cupcake like some say but there are a lot of schools with avg records we should be trying to get 2-1 deals for us and play them a little money for the return trip. Maybe there is a lot I don't understand, but if we want a new stadium, I feel it would be who of us to try to get as many games at home as we can to maximize potential attendance and gate revenue.

Leave a comment:

• SDSUAlum08
    replied

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
    This^^^^ A D2 game is not an option. It's proven now that 7 FCS wins will get you in the playoffs. The more FCS teams you play the greater the chance to make it to that magic number. And thanks to the Bizzzzzonn, it's proven a MVFC team with 7 wins is a dangerous opponent and playoff worthy.

Could not agree more. SDSU went D-1 to play against D-1 opponents.

Leave a comment:

• Theee Catrabbit
    replied

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
    I think I'd write my first letter of complaint to the AD's office if a DII was scheduled in football.
    This^^^^ A D2 game is not an option. It's proven now that 7 FCS wins will get you in the playoffs. The more FCS teams you play the greater the chance to make it to that magic number. And thanks to the Bizzzzzonn, it's proven a MVFC team with 7 wins is a dangerous opponent and playoff worthy.

Leave a comment:

• JackJD
    replied

I think I'd write my first letter of complaint to the AD's office if a DII was scheduled in football.

Leave a comment:

• RowdyRabbit
    replied

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
    The only positive i can think of playing USF would be if we got beat, we wouldnt hear about Lacrosse anymore.
    No way, I'd rather hear about Lacrosse.

Leave a comment:

• thumper_76
    replied

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
    How about getting your team ready to play a very tough non-conference schedule/FBS opponent and MVC schedule. How about reducing some costs and netting some more money. Many of the elite FCS schools do it for the same reason FBS schools play SDSU. It's warm up game. A DII game may not help our playoffs chances, but it doesn't hurt them either. What effect does having so many losses early in the season by playing such a tough schedule have on morale on the team, fan attendence? Taking yourself out of the playoffs by scheduling bravado is not smart either. A more balanced approach should be considered as reflected by Stig in Terry's blog. One "sacrificial lamb" early in the year should be sought. I doubt it will effect attendence much as people want more home games and show up for more reasons than who the opponent is as certainly a home game against the "marquis" opponent has not always put more butts in seats. http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...ItemsPerPage=5

USF is playing at McNeese State and UND this year and has an opening next year. I would rather play them and spread some money to a local product. I think people might be more curious about that game than play a non-scholarship program or other FCS team that is demanding too much money! There are some very good DII programs in the area that can play some good football. We should know that as well as anyone.
    The only reason those "elite" FCS teams such as Montana and UD play teams like that is the huge amount of money they make off of their home games, so they schedule those games instead of an FBS school, at least in Montanas case. For them it makes sense, but not for us, with how tough the Valley is and having a FBS game as well thrown in there, if you put in a DII then you are basically saying that the team has to go 7-2 through the conference and the other non conference game. Not a good idea to me IMHO with how tough the conference is growing up to be.

Leave a comment:

• ringthebells
    replied

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
    The only positive i can think of playing USF would be if we got beat, we wouldnt hear about Lacrosse anymore.
    I don't think State offers that sport.

Leave a comment:

• mitchellrabbit
    replied

How about getting your team ready to play a very tough non-conference schedule/FBS opponent and MVC schedule. How about reducing some costs and netting some more money. Many of the elite FCS schools do it for the same reason FBS schools play SDSU. It's warm up game. A DII game may not help our playoffs chances, but it doesn't hurt them either. What effect does having so many losses early in the season by playing such a tough schedule have on morale on the team, fan attendence? Taking yourself out of the playoffs by scheduling bravado is not smart either. A more balanced approach should be considered as reflected by Stig in Terry's blog. One "sacrificial lamb" early in the year should be sought. I doubt it will effect attendence much as people want more home games and show up for more reasons than who the opponent is as certainly a home game against the "marquis" opponent has not always put more butts in seats. http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...ItemsPerPage=5

USF is playing at McNeese State and UND this year and has an opening next year. I would rather play them and spread some money to a local product. I think people might be more curious about that game than play a non-scholarship program or other FCS team that is demanding too much money! There are some very good DII programs in the area that can play some good football. We should know that as well as anyone.

Leave a comment:

• jacksfan29
    replied

Ask Montana if playing a D2 school can hurt your playoff chances. I would rather see a cupcake FCS school come in which is what it sounds like we tried to do but couldn't get done. I don't have an issue bringing in SUU to open. I think it gives the team the motivation to prepare to open against a quality opponent who we have some history with. It is a home game which will draw a nice crowd (over 10K) and a quality win against SUU will go much further in developing confidence then a win over USF or any other local D2 school. To me those games are no win situations. If you don't win by 40 you get asked what happened. If you do win by 40 no one cares because that is what is expected. If you lose... well I think everyone remembers the fiasco not to be mentioned that occurred several years back.

Leave a comment:

• goon
    replied

Espcially the years that we can have 12 game schedule. Going for a cupcake again is fine with me. Doesnt help the record or chances for playoffs, but its a chance for another home game for the fans and a good chance to get on field experience before starting in the hard confrence games. if we have a chance for 12 games if it takes paying a local D2 school 100K to come over that is well worth it in my opinion. Which in fact may help attendance bringing in a local Mn or northern or augie. A regional game that should be a nice win and allow us a 6th home game I think is a no brainer IMO.

Leave a comment:

• JACKGUYII
    replied

Originally posted by rabbits64 View Post
    What good could ever come of a game with a d2 school? At the FCS level, you have to play up to collect a large paycheck. Playing a d2 school hurts more than helps, doesn't help the wins to get into playoffs. Won't happen, not even in the vocabulary in the athletic department.

Last edited by JACKGUYII; 02-19-2011, 10:26 AM.

Leave a comment:

• rabbits64
    replied

Originally posted by DakotaKid View Post
    I think a game with Sioux Falls college and/or the other DII schools in state would be a good thing on a rotating bases, differnet school every year.

There are bigger schools in other states that do it.
    What good could ever come of a game with a d2 school? At the FCS level, you have to play up to collect a large paycheck. Playing a d2 school hurts more than helps, doesn't help the wins to get into playoffs. Won't happen, not even in the vocabulary in the athletic department.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X