Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New Stadium

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
    Out of curiosity, can anyone name a BCS school with a track around their football field? I'm racking my brain and can't think of one.
    Boise St. does and I want to say that the University of Washington does as well. Boise is not BCS until next year but I guess that would count.

Edit: Duke's football stadium does as well. I did a quick google search and although Washington and Boise have great football programs (Duke doesn't), they're stadium is made fun of quite a bit because they have a track around it. I'm against having a track around it as well.
    Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
      Boise St. does and I want to say that the University of Washington does as well. Boise is not BCS until next year but I guess that would count.

Edit: Duke's football stadium does as well. I did a quick google search and although Washington and Boise have great football programs (Duke doesn't), they're stadium is made fun of quite a bit because they have a track around it. I'm against having a track around it as well.
      KU does too.

A track around the field is not a good idea.
      "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
      "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
        KU does too.

A track around the field is not a good idea.
        This.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

This seems to be where most posters are going, but I'll just say it this way. SDSU is building a multi-sport human performance facility that will benefit many, many sports. But the football stadium is a football stadium and nothing else. It must be designed and built to accomodate the football team and the football fans and nothing else. Both facilities are going to be tremendous additions to the campus.
          The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

I realized that I never specifically stated why I think a track is a good idea. It's mainly for the facility. I believe that a track inside a 22,000 seat stadium has the ability to become the home for South Dakota State High School Track Meet. I also believe it could bring a similar event to Brookings/ SDSU like the Howard Wood Dakota Relays in Sioux Falls. I know Brookings is limited on hotels rooms, but with SDSU not in session the dorms become available and I believe the athletes and coaches could stay in the dorms leaving all the hotels for the families and fans attending the track meet. The facility would eliminate the use of three separate facilities for the first day as is the current practice. The meet could be held at one location similar to how the state high school track meets are held in Iowa and Kansas. The SDHSAA state track meet located Brookings has huge economic impact potential for SDSU and the City of Brookings. Without the track added to the facility SDSU and Brookings cannot (I do not believe) add another spring event that has this kind of potential. To me the economic impact makes adding the track a no brainer.
            Even if Brookings is only added to the rotation with SF and RC for state high school track its a win for SDSU/ Brookings.
            We...ARE...STATE!
            SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

Sorry, NO TRACK IN FOOTBALL STADIUM!!!

Comment

I suspect that a realistic cost-benefit analysis would argue against your assertion. I however do not have such an analysis before me, so it remains possible (although I personally suspect that it is exceedingly unlikely) that you are correct.

Originally posted by GoJacks View Post
                I realized that I never specifically stated why I think a track is a good idea. It's mainly for the facility. I believe that a track inside a 22,000 seat stadium has the ability to become the home for South Dakota State High School Track Meet. I also believe it could bring a similar event to Brookings/ SDSU like the Howard Wood Dakota Relays in Sioux Falls. I know Brookings is limited on hotels rooms, but with SDSU not in session the dorms become available and I believe the athletes and coaches could stay in the dorms leaving all the hotels for the families and fans attending the track meet. The facility would eliminate the use of three separate facilities for the first day as is the current practice. The meet could be held at one location similar to how the state high school track meets are held in Iowa and Kansas. The SDHSAA state track meet located Brookings has huge economic impact potential for SDSU and the City of Brookings. Without the track added to the facility SDSU and Brookings cannot (I do not believe) add another spring event that has this kind of potential. To me the economic impact makes adding the track a no brainer.
                Even if Brookings is only added to the rotation with SF and RC for state high school track its a win for SDSU/ Brookings.
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by GoJacks View Post
                  It won't happen.

Comment

Like i said with the Dykhouse and soon to be fieldhouse on one end and the scoreboard and limited room to the south, there really is no room to put a track around the field. So i think the best idea is to drop the discussion. In SF it stinks being so much furter from the field, the track really ruins the athmosphere and pushes fans further away which is not a good thing IMO.
                    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Nothing says high school like a track around your football field.

If we want to maximize the home-field advantage, the fans need to be on top of the field. Home-field advantage ought to take precedence over hosting state track meets.
                      @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
                      --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

The only thing worse than having a track around the field is having rail road tracks and a road on the sidelines of a gaudy Field Turf.

New field at Lindenwood-Belleville. Yikes!

Comment

This isn't the new stadium, but its related to the Human Performance Facility and Indoor Practice Facility:

http://www.state.sd.us/boa/ose/docum...01_12_SDSU.pdf

I hadn't seen it posted anywhere else.

Date is July 17, 2012 - submissions are due to the State Engineer on August 1, 2012. Seems like we're getting closer to an announcement.

This ties into the discussion in other threads that are ongoing on this board.

Comment

This isn't the new stadium, but its related to the Human Performance Facility and Indoor Practice Facility:

http://www.state.sd.us/boa/ose/docum...01_12_SDSU.pdf

I hadn't seen it posted anywhere else.

Date is July 17, 2012 - submissions are due to the State Engineer on August 1, 2012. Seems like we're getting closer to an announcement.

This ties into the discussion in other threads that are ongoing on this board.
                            I saw that on twitter 2 weeks ago as well. The facility is going to be built we just don't know that the name is going to be yet.
                            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                              I saw that on twitter 2 weeks ago as well. The facility is going to be built we just don't know that the name is going to be yet.
                              You kids and your Twitter.

I may have to break down and join sometime soon. That way I won't be two weeks behind this stuff!

Comment

You kids and your Twitter.

I may have to break down and join sometime soon. That way I won't be two weeks behind this stuff!

Since it happened in the past in twitter means it was twated? Is that the correct terminology?
                                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Working...
                                X