Illinois State

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Illinois State

As long as the team doesn't throw 2 picks in the first quarter to give the opposition a short field, this team will be fine.
    -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
      As long as the team doesn't throw 2 picks in the first quarter to give the opposition a short field, this team will be fine.
      That certainly would help. With so many new faces, we just can not expect to pick up where we left off last season. Terry mentions in his blog this morning that he noted so many players who played their first D1 game at Delaware. Its great to have TV back on the job btw.

Comment

Had the team had a little time to settle down during the game, I think that the new faces would have been fine. But, the team was behind the 8-ball before they really even broke a sweat.

Everyone knows that this team wants to establish Kyle to help open the passing game, but this year could be the season that they have to pass to set up the run.

Comment

Looking forward to Saturday.

The Delaware game wasn't necessarily a big surprise. I don't think any of Stig's teams have won their first road game other than last year. We've had more disappointing losses to open the season (the game I won't repeat comes to mind). On the road, in front of 20K fans of an established program with a highly touted QB and very talented RB and defensive backfield isn't a game you expect to win to open the season. You really can't expect to win when your first drive includes 2 penalties and a horrible decision by the QB resulting immediately in a short field and a deficit. Then, dropped balls and questionable play calls and before you know it the game is out-of-hand.

That said, the program needs fan support more than ever this weekend. I think attendance would have been near a record if we would have had a good showing against UD, we didn't. I still think they'll be a nice crowd and their should be lots of excitement. Thank goodness we don't have a bye week to dwell on the disappointment of the performance Saturday. Have a great week of practice and come out Saturday with a chip on their shoulders, that's what we need.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

If Coach Stig never wins his first game isn't that a pretty big knock against him and his staff? How can a coach be notorious for not having his team ready for week 1 but still be in good standing with the school's fan base. I don't have a problem with losing to Delaware because it is tough road match-up to win, but I do have a problem with how the players played in the first quarter. If we want to be a top caliber team we have to stop having the yips in big games.

On another note, losing Conrad is a big blow. It's hard to replace a 1st team all-conference player and I feel bad for Conrad not being able to play his senior season. I wish him the best for his future and I know that who ever steps into his spot will give it their all. Does anybody know the specifics of how he hurt his neck?
            http://www.twitter.com/minneapolisjack

Comment

Originally posted by MinneapolisJack View Post
              If Coach Stig never wins his first game isn't that a pretty big knock against him and his staff? How can a coach be notorious for not having his team ready for week 1 but still be in good standing with the school's fan base. I don't have a problem with losing to Delaware because it is tough road match-up to win, but I do have a problem with how the players played in the first quarter. If we want to be a top caliber team we have to stop having the yips in big games.

On another note, losing Conrad is a big blow. It's hard to replace a 1st team all-conference player and I feel bad for Conrad not being able to play his senior season. I wish him the best for his future and I know that who ever steps into his spot will give it their all. Does anybody know the specifics of how he hurt his neck?
              I think that part of the problem is that they didn't play a game the first week. Having a game, even if it is against a lower caliber team, give a team valuable experience and allows the staff to work out any kinks in the offense and defense.

Comment

I think that part of the problem is that they didn't play a game the first week. Having a game, even if it is against a lower caliber team, give a team valuable experience and allows the staff to work out any kinks in the offense and defense.
                I agree that the schedule certainly didn't help things and no matter what it would have been a difficult game to win.
                It just seems that in big games SDSU has a tendency to look either over-anxious/nervous or flat. Games that come to mind are Iowa St, Delaware, Southern Illinois, Minnesota, Montana in 2nd half. I watched a good chunk of the USD-Minnesota game and the NDSU-Kansas game and both teams looked in-control and not overwhelmed by the moment.

I don't want to sound like too much of a Debbie Downer, looking forward to putting this loss in the rear view and taking on the Redbirds.
                http://www.twitter.com/minneapolisjack

Comment

Yes- he hurt his neck vs. Iowa State a couple of years ago. I do not know exactly what vertebra it is..

Comment

If Coach Stig never wins his first game isn't that a pretty big knock against him and his staff? How can a coach be notorious for not having his team ready for week 1 but still be in good standing with the school's fan base.
                    Rather, I think Stig & staff need to look at the "flake-out" games that they have from time to time.

*this year* the flake out game was the first game. Last year it was the SIU game. The year before it was the Cal-Poly game. There wasn't one in 2007, but there was the 'game that shall not be mentioned' in 2006. (arguably the Iowa State game was a 'flakeout game', but that wasn't a situation that the Jacks were familiar with--most of these flake-out games have happened at home)

These were games where SDSU came out of the gate looking like they had no business on a football field.

Comment

I agree that the schedule certainly didn't help things and no matter what it would have been a difficult game to win.
                      It just seems that in big games SDSU has a tendency to look either over-anxious/nervous or flat. Games that come to mind are Iowa St, Delaware, Southern Illinois, Minnesota, Montana in 2nd half. I watched a good chunk of the USD-Minnesota game and the NDSU-Kansas game and both teams looked in-control and not overwhelmed by the moment.

I don't want to sound like too much of a Debbie Downer, looking forward to putting this loss in the rear view and taking on the Redbirds.
                      I don't think that it is a matter of being overwhelmed. I think that it is a consequence of the approach of the team. This is a team that is a ball control, power running team. They never have really had an explosive offense.

I believe that as the year progresses that we will see a more dynamic team, but playing an above average team on the road as the first game was a pretty tall task.

They say the most improvement happens between games 1 and 2 for a college team. I think that being able to come back to CAS will help them to work on a few things and show the great team that I still believe we have in the Jacks.

Comment

I don't think that it is a matter of being overwhelmed. I think that it is a consequence of the approach of the team. This is a team that is a ball control, power running team. They never have really had an explosive offense.

I believe that as the year progresses that we will see a more dynamic team, but playing an above average team on the road as the first game was a pretty tall task.

They say the most improvement happens between games 1 and 2 for a college team. I think that being able to come back to CAS will help them to work on a few things and show the great team that I still believe we have in the Jacks.
                        Agreed, I think the Jacks should have a decent bounce back coming into CAS for our home opener. The atmosphere at CAS is always electric and gives the Jacks the boost that i believe they need. Like JackMD said, however, we need to show our support by showing up and cheering as loud as we can!
                        GO BIG,GO BLUE, GO JACKS!

Comment

This game will be decided on whether or not our line play has improved. Starting out in a 14 pt hole or not, 25 yds of rushing is a big O-line problem. And UD rushing for as many yards as they did on us is a big D-line problem. I have complete faith in the coaches to fix this by Sat. Also, like was mentioned by a UD fan (arrogant as he came off saying some of the stuff he said) we didn't hit hard at all that game. We need to come out at play Jackrabbit football. To me the reason our team was so good last year is they came out and made the other teams play our brand of football, and few teams can stand up to it. Its when we let the other team dictate the type of game that is played is when we come out looking like total @$$. The SIU game and the last half of the Montana game come to mind. We didn't play our game. The SIU and UNI people say we don't have the athletes, I say sure, if we were to play that style of ball. When we win games or play well, we come out, smash them from beginning of the game to the end, and play with great intensity. We didn't have that last Sat. I think if we come out and do that to the Redbirds, they will fold.

I predict we fix the line play this week and come out and smash them in the mouth.

SDSU by +14
                          Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
                            This game will be decided on whether or not our line play has improved. Starting out in a 14 pt hole or not, 25 yds of rushing is a big O-line problem. And UD rushing for as many yards as they did on us is a big D-line problem. I have complete faith in the coaches to fix this by Sat. Also, like was mentioned by a UD fan (arrogant as he came off saying some of the stuff he said) we didn't hit hard at all that game. We need to come out at play Jackrabbit football. To me the reason our team was so good last year is they came out and made the other teams play our brand of football, and few teams can stand up to it. Its when we let the other team dictate the type of game that is played is when we come out looking like total @$$. The SIU game and the last half of the Montana game come to mind. We didn't play our game. The SIU and UNI people say we don't have the athletes, I say sure, if we were to play that style of ball. When we win games or play well, we come out, smash them from beginning of the game to the end, and play with great intensity. We didn't have that last Sat. I think if we come out and do that to the Redbirds, they will fold.

I predict we fix the line play this week and come out and smash them in the mouth.

SDSU by +14
                            Disagree with the bold. All the UD fans have been pretty respectful. Saying that their team was better and that we sucked isn't arrogant: it's the truth.
                            Originally posted by JackFan96
                            Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post
                              Disagree with the bold. All the UD fans have been pretty respectful. Saying that their team was better and that we sucked isn't arrogant: it's the truth.
                              Im sorry I didn't clarify, there is one poster who had posted on AGS and fcsfans.com and was very arrogant about our teams talent, and about the MVFC in general, which I feel is a bit of a reach to base off of our first game across the country in one of the toughest places to play in FCS. No doubt we sucked, and I can own up to that. No doubt the UD fans in general are some of the most respectful you can encounter in this great land of FCS football. and I didn't mean to include them in that grouping, and I apologize for making it seem that I meant to.
                              Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
                                Im sorry I didn't clarify, there is one poster who had posted on AGS and fcsfans.com and was very arrogant about our teams talent, and about the MVFC in general, which I feel is a bit of a reach to base off of our first game across the country in one of the toughest places to play in FCS. No doubt we sucked, and I can own up to that. No doubt the UD fans in general are some of the most respectful you can encounter in this great land of FCS football. and I didn't mean to include them in that grouping, and I apologize for making it seem that I meant to.

Oh, okay, I thought you were referring to some UD fan on this board.
                                Originally posted by JackFan96
                                Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Working...
                                X