Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: SDSU at Delaware

Originally posted by henduster View Post
    Sorry rabbitt fans but I see the Hens in a close high scoring game.
    That can't be. we don't have high scoring games....Montana was an anomaly.

This thread is hopping by the way.....
    With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
      This thread is hopping by the way.....
      When you have two rationale fanbases that are bringing something to the table besides smack you get these results. It's been fun...sadly we can't do this with CAA teams, gets into a p1ssing contest after the third post.

Comment

Originally posted by UD1Hens View Post
        When you have two rationale fanbases that are bringing something to the table besides smack you get these results. It's been fun...sadly we can't do this with CAA teams, gets into a p1ssing contest after the third post.
        I'm glad that never happens with our fan base
        One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Man, everything has been said that can be said in a rational manner. Lets play the game already!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by State Line Liquors View Post
            Replies in message board format are typically defined by a previous point/argument. It would be overly presumptuous to reply to a thread, and call someone out, without reading prior comments.

Take it up with your colleague from Milwaukee.
            Relax. My colleague from Milwaukee said nothing about the Valley. Just the 'midwest'----Stig's coaching/recruiting philosophy predates SDSU's recent admission to the Valley, and includes their style of play in the Great West Conference and the D-2 days in the North Central Conference.

And, generally speaking, I don't agree with those who assert that SDSU's size is of prime importance (whether they be SDSU fans or Delaware fans). Throughout the D-1 era, SDSU has been pretty good at managing the line of scrimmage, and that's due more to discipline (IMO) and game planning than size.

The Jacks occasionally have 'brain fart' games (SIU last year, Cal-Poly the year before), where the team looks like a handful of tennis players that got a five minute briefing on what a football looks like just before the game. But the norm is that they play an exceptionally disciplined game in both the details and in the overall strategy.

If the Jacks win it will not be because of their size (IMO) it will be their ability to dictate strategy to the Blue Hens.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
              If the Jacks win it will not be because of their size (IMO) it will be their ability to dictate strategy to the Blue Hens.
              ...or something along those lines... It's actually simpler. If SDSU can control the LOS on D, and dictate what UD can/can't do on O, they will probably win. If they don't, or if it's a stalemate, UD will probably win.

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum View Post
                There is a tried and true formula that SDSU uses to be successful, and it's not very complicated. We rely on our size and force to overpower the run game on both sides of the ball. It sounds cliche and overly simple, but think back to the big games we have won over the last couple of seasons. We won those games because we came out early and were able to run the ball with authority and when it mattered.
                I think I'd be much more concerned about this if it were going to be twenty degrees with a fifteen knot wind on a frozen field. On a calm, sunny day with the temp in the 70's on Fieldturf... not so much.

I think this SDSU style of play will be highly effective - if - UD can't run. If that's the case, the game will play to your obvious strengths. Your D will get after Devlin and your O can control the ball and tempo.... though I honestly expect a more balanced attack from SDSU than your post suggests. I expect your coach will anticipate us focusing on the run game, and I think he's going to throw a bit more, even early on, to try to exploit that, get out on top, and take the UD emotion and crowd out of the game.

OTOH, if UD can run, even fairly effectively... the game will be much more about the skill positions, and team speed will be a much bigger factor. In that kind of game, I give UD the edge, and much of that is about Devlin. Rushing at 3-4 yards a pop makes it much easier for him to sustain drives than rushing 2-3 yards a pop. JIMHO, if we could rush for 4-5 yards a pop... this game won't be as close as some want to think.

...and to flesh out that 'game won't be close' comment out a bit... If UD can run, and this opens up the passing game for Devlin...UD'll put points on the board, probably in bunches. This will tend to force SDSU out of what they're comfortable with and away from their strengths. The game will shift away from a matchup of your running game vs. our passing game, more to a matchup of passing games, and I like our chances there very much (assuming we can effectively rush the passer and pass defend... and I could get fooled there... we struggled pressuring the passer last year, though I think we're a bit quicker on the edge this year, and your QB doesn't sound like he's going to hurt us much with his feet. Solid passer, but not a big runner)

Last year our O was very one-dimensional. Teams knew that, game-planned around that, and it killed us. Our coach knows that. He made it his mission to fix the OL and rushing game. He's got a stud at QB, and running the ball better turns this team into an instant contender.

This will be our first opportunity to see how he did.
                Last edited by Oldhen; 09-10-2010, 04:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Oldhen View Post
                  I think I'd be much more concerned about this if it were going to be twenty degrees with a fifteen knot wind on a frozen field. On a calm, sunny day with the temp in the 70's on Fieldturf... not so much.

Had to look up knots vs mph, we don't have an ocean. 17.3 mph in SD happens 3 times a year. 20-25 mph is the norm. 25-35 can happen for weeks sometimes months at a time. 40 mph winds for days and days! It's why we focus on the running game so much!

I think this SDSU style of play will be highly effective - if - UD can't run. If that's the case, the game will play to your obvious strengths. Your D will get after Devlin and your O can control the ball and tempo.... though I honestly expect a more balanced attack from SDSU than your post suggests. I expect your coach will anticipate us focusing on the run game, and I think he's going to throw a bit more, even early on, to try to exploit that, get out on top, and take the UD emotion and crowd out of the game.

You really don't know our coaching staff. Old school as it gets. Run (insert RB name here} right. Run (insert RB name here) left. Run (insert RB name here) up the middle. Repeat. It's been that way for decades. It's like the UNI players said, they didn't see anything they didn't see on film. They just couldn't stop it(but they wouldn't admit it).
                  Only one day until this entire thread is considered history!!!!!

Comment

Write up from the SDSU Collegian. I guess I'll claim ignorance on the TOB having 1450 yards in the air. Not bad considering he was not the starter for 3 games and came in off the bench against Poly. Probably would have had 2000+season.

http://www.sdsucollegian.com/sports/...hens-1.1573135

Comment

I didn't mean to insinuate that SDSU is going to be the biggest and strongest team that UD has ever played or even will play this year, but time after time the physical nature of our team and the style we play is cited as being surprising to a team who has not played us before. The "midwest" phrase was meant to sum up our mentality more than style of play. We're a little more than "3 yards and a cloud of dust". But, we fly around and like to hit.

As I said, I think we win on Saturday in a close, but higher scoring game. Think 31-28 or something like that. When we win, I will gladly pull the exerpt from the newspaper article where a UD player references the SDSU players and how big they were and how hard they hit. I don't mean that as smack. It's just something that we regularly read. I'll (not-so-happily) eat crow if SDSU loses and we're called pansies in the paper.

For what it's worth, this game and the NDSU game are two games that really worry me on our schedule (aside from the obvious UNI, SIU, Neb games). Playing any team on their field is tough. UD is an unknown (to us) but proven program and we have a history of slow starts at the beginning of the seasons. NDSU has a chip on their shoulder and we don't have a great track record at Fargo.

A little nugget for the UD fans on the board. My boss was a team captain for the UD Hens basketball squad back in '79-80 season. His daughter played one year at UD tennis before transferring to UWisc. I have the utmost respect for the UD program, but have the utmost belief in SDSU.
                      "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

One thing I'm concerned with, looking at the two-deeps, is the size advantage the UD wideouts have vs our CB's.

Combine that with QB Devlin that is supposedly so good, and it good make for a long day.

I'm all for keeping the ball out of Devlin's hands.
                        "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
                          One thing I'm concerned with, looking at the two-deeps, is the size advantage the UD wideouts have vs our CB's.

Combine that with QB Devlin that is supposedly so good, and it good make for a long day.

I'm all for keeping the ball out of Devlin's hands.
                          But, to be fair, aren't our DBs usually always outsized by the opponent's WRs? If Domino and Company get pressure, size difference won't matter.
                          -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                            But, to be fair, aren't our DBs usually always outsized by the opponent's WRs? If Domino and Company get pressure, size difference won't matter.
                            In fact, aren't almost *all* DBs shorter than WRs?

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                              In fact, aren't almost *all* DBs shorter than WRs?
                              Yes because if they were taller they'd be WR's! It just so happens all of our 1st string receivers are short.

Comment

In my opinion ,unless the size diff between WR & CB is tremendous,it won't matter much IF (big if) the coverage is tight .Except maybe a short pass where a super tall WR is standing & a short corner back is defending,but it has to be thrown just right, high enough so the defender can't jump up & tip it away,but not too high so the receiver can't catch it .On long passes & the receiver is running full speed & the CB is right with him,it becomes that much harder to place the ball just right.A good QB can do it , but not every time, especially with someone breathing down your neck, making you rush the pass.We just have to see which side of the ball plays best.

Comment

Working...
                                X