Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: SDSU at Delaware

Originally posted by HardCoreHen View Post
    UD's secondary is pretty good, but they won't be good enough if the untested Hen DL can't slow down the run or put some heat on the SDSU QB.

Untested UD DL Vs Untested Jacks OL,
    point goes to Jacks. Size matters, just ask your girlfriend. Also All American McKnight is a huge anchor at center
    Untested UD OL vs Salty Jacks DL, Point goes to SDSU, but barely because of Devlin's mad skills. SDSU will stop the run game, however, but doesn't UD want the game to rest in the hands of their best player?
    Running Backs: Minnett is an All American on the Payton Watch list. I'd say the edge goes to the Jacks.
    Receivers: I'm giving this to Delaware, I like our receivers but I think the UD QB can drop the passes into a paper cup if he wanted too.
    Tight Ends: Cochart is a stud and an NFL prospect, and the unit is deep. Point Rabbits. As long as Meadows remembers he has tight ends, of course.
    KR/PR: I'm giving this to Delaware, I've never been that happy with our return game lately, and it looks like it is remaining the same. Aanansen was a Kamikaze returner, that guy was fun to watch!
    Linebackers: Domino, nuff said! Point SDSU
    Secondary: I'll give the edge to Delaware, but if they can't get a push up front or stop Minnet, their Secondary is a moot point anyways. Our secondary has been able to shutdown big possession receivers though(Ramses Barden-NY Giants, springs to mind, geez he was huge)
    Special Teams: Edge State, we just do great things in punt blocks, kicking, field goals, and punts. Special Teams is always very fundamentally sound.

What does all this mean? Nothing, I just has some spare time on my hands. It's all paper talk, but I can't stand it anymore. Thank God the Vikes are on tonight, a little shot to take the jitters away!
    With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

It has been posted here in a couple of spots, but here's the UD Blue Hens fan board URL:

http://www.gohens.net/boards/viewforum.php?f=1

It's a good read. Seems like a bunch of great fans over there. Very respectful posters and some good analysis of the game as well.
      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post

Untested UD DL Vs Untested Jacks OL,
        point goes to Jacks. Size matters, just ask your girlfriend. Also All American McKnight is a huge anchor at center
        Untested UD OL vs Salty Jacks DL, Point goes to SDSU, but barely because of Devlin's mad skills. SDSU will stop the run game, however, but doesn't UD want the game to rest in the hands of their best player?
        Running Backs: Minnett is an All American on the Payton Watch list. I'd say the edge goes to the Jacks.
        Receivers: I'm giving this to Delaware, I like our receivers but I think the UD QB can drop the passes into a paper cup if he wanted too.
        Tight Ends: Cochart is a stud and an NFL prospect, and the unit is deep. Point Rabbits. As long as Meadows remembers he has tight ends, of course.
        KR/PR: I'm giving this to Delaware, I've never been that happy with our return game lately, and it looks like it is remaining the same. Aanansen was a Kamikaze returner, that guy was fun to watch!
        Linebackers: Domino, nuff said! Point SDSU
        Secondary: I'll give the edge to Delaware, but if they can't get a push up front or stop Minnet, their Secondary is a moot point anyways. Our secondary has been able to shutdown big possession receivers though(Ramses Barden-NY Giants, springs to mind, geez he was huge)
        Special Teams: Edge State, we just do great things in punt blocks, kicking, field goals, and punts. Special Teams is always very fundamentally sound.

What does all this mean? Nothing, I just has some spare time on my hands. It's all paper talk, but I can't stand it anymore. Thank God the Vikes are on tonight, a little shot to take the jitters away!
        I'm guessing there's little reason to specifically compare the QBs in your analysis, given the mention of them in other areas of your study? Point, Hens!

Comment

Originally posted by State Line Liquors View Post
          I'm guessing there's little reason to specifically compare the QBs in your analysis, given the mention of them in other areas of your study? Point, Hens!
          oops...I guess that was a given. But yes point to Hens for their QB. In algebra Devlin I would estimate is a given. It's pretty redundant but both QB's play will come down to their respective OL holding up.
          With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
            It's pretty redundant but both QB's play will come down to their respective OL holding up.
            I'd spin that a little differently. Last year, Devlin averaged 253 yds/gm of offense behind an OL that I thought was God-awful, and had no runnning game to speak of. He's going to play well in spite of our OL, if they're unimproved (but, Lord knows, I hope they're every bit as improved as our head coach says...).

The problem for UD is that 253 yards probably wouldn't be enough to win the game. Against a good D, but without a running game, Devlin'd get his yards, but probably not score enough points unless SDSU gave him short fields to work. It's just awful hard to drive the ball 70-80 yards if you are only getting 2-3 yds a pop out of your running game. Devlin's very good, but he can't work miracles.

Comment

There is a tried and true formula that SDSU uses to be successful, and it's not very complicated. We rely on our size and force to overpower the run game on both sides of the ball. It sounds cliche and overly simple, but think back to the big games we have won over the last couple of seasons. We won those games because we came out early and were able to run the ball with authority and when it mattered.

This is especially true against teams who have never played any team from the midwest. Think of the teams we played from the southern conferences in recent years. In almost every game, even the games we lost to unfamiliar foes, the opponents almost always talked about how big and physical our team was across the board. It's just the brand of football we play. We may spread it out now and then, but our offense and defense is built around the run game.

The first quarter of this game will be telling. It is hard to explain how demoralizing it is to have a team come out and physically manhandle you to start a game and how hard of a thing that is to overcome. Generally teams are prepared for the other team's scheme, and UD will be prepared for ours, but if SDSU comes out and physically handles them on both lines, we win the game. Regardless of how many 1st round draft picks UD has in their secondary.

For what it's worth, I don't think UD will be ready for our O-Line and definitely not our D-line. I think we win in a close game with more points being scored than you'd anticipate. Our secondary is going to have to play well.
              "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

I am too lazy to look it up, and someone else probably already has. Size-wise, how do the lines of the two teams compare?
                Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Originally posted by West-River_Jack View Post
                  I am too lazy to look it up, and someone else probably already has. Size-wise, how do the lines of the two teams compare?

Look here
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=)
                  (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum View Post
                    This is especially true against teams who have never played any team from the midwest. Think of the teams we played from the southern conferences in recent years. In almost every game, even the games we lost to unfamiliar foes, the opponents almost always talked about how big and physical our team was across the board. It's just the brand of football we play. We may spread it out now and then, but our offense and defense is built around the run game.

The first quarter of this game will be telling. It is hard to explain how demoralizing it is to have a team come out and physically manhandle you to start a game and how hard of a thing that is to overcome. Generally teams are prepared for the other team's scheme, and UD will be prepared for ours, but if SDSU comes out and physically handles them on both lines, we win the game. Regardless of how many 1st round draft picks UD has in their secondary.

For what it's worth, I don't think UD will be ready for our O-Line and definitely not our D-line. I think we win in a close game with more points being scored than you'd anticipate. Our secondary is going to have to play well.
                    Allow me to respond without coming off as cocky, I'm simply responding to your post. This isn't UD's first go-round with a physical team that had a huge O-Line and strong running game from your conference. Typically, in the playoffs, the CAA teams have been much faster/athletic at skill positions than the MVFC teams they've encountered. These matchups have been almost entirely at MVFC home sites as well. I think the grueling conference schedule of the CAA prepares teams for playoff football year in and year out. Now, I don't want to be a CAA homer, because I don't want them to win...I care at UD and UD only. Many of our seniors were on the 2nd place team in '07 and throughout the past few years these same UD players have played at Maryland/Navy, plus playing 4-5 ranked CAA teams often with 3 of them on the road per year. In short, I doubt UD players will be overwhelmed by anyone...they've been there and seen it all. Just as you can't explain how demoralizing it is to have a team come out and physically manhandle you, it is equally demoralizing to not be able to keep up with a team's speed at skill positions.

UD won't be like many teams on your schedule and vice versa...You think I am underestimating your size/strength/dominance up front and I think you are underestimating breaking in 3 new O-linemen for their first game on the road against a team that has already played once.

And I imagine your sentence about 1st Rd draft picks was tongue-in-check...they are talented, I'll leave it at that. It should be an awesome game. Delaware will be ready, regardless of how surprised you think they'll be. It's not the coaching staff's first game vs a MVFC team. I can't wait. Heck we could get rolled by you guys and I'll come back on Sunday and tell you how dominant you really were; I have no idea. I've just seen a ton of UD games to have them not be prepared for a style of play that they know is coming. By the way...great football convo over the past few days!

Comment

Originally posted by UD1Hens View Post
                      It's not the coaching staff's first game vs a MVFC team.
                      SDSU is not defined by its conference.

It is specious to assume that past experience with teams in the Valley is sufficient to grasp the way that SDSU plays.

The size may be similar to other teams in the Valley, but that's not where SDSU derives its advantage. SDSU was a ranked team in 2006 with players significantly smaller and slower than the current class.

Comment

One factor that does play into UD's favor is the fact that Delaware has been tough to beat in Delaware Stadium under KC Keeler. On the road, not so tough, but this game is in Newark and that probably will give UD an edge.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                          Only used that as an example because MilwaukeeJacksAlum said:
                          "This is especially true against teams who have never played any team from the midwest. Think of the teams we played from the southern conferences in recent years."

He sort of grouped SDSU in with Midwest teams, so I followed with the generality. Just as SDSU is not defined by its conference, Delaware is not defined by other teams who haven't played against midwest teams (even though they have) or SoCon foes as mentioned in his post.

I agree...every team is diffferent with a particular skillset.

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum View Post
                            There is a tried and true formula that SDSU uses to be successful, and it's not very complicated. We rely on our size and force to overpower the run game on both sides of the ball. It sounds cliche and overly simple, but think back to the big games we have won over the last couple of seasons. We won those games because we came out early and were able to run the ball with authority and when it mattered.

I think that is what concerns me about this game. It in a way reminds me of the Montana game. We are going to play a top quality FCS team in front of a large knowledgable, experienced fan base.

Our big, strong physical team completely wore out in the 2nd half against Montana and we didn't have any energy left to keep up with an offense that caught fire in the 2nd half.

I think I'm going to put the deciding factor on the coaches in this game. What did we learn from Montana and how will we respond this time? The playcalling we had against the Grizz, as we were holding on for dear life just trying to run the clock out, was abysmal at best. Delaware isn't going to play MVC football.....are we ready for their game? I hope so....

Comment

What the heck, everybody and his brother is commenting on this game so for what it is worth, I might as well get my 2 cents worth in. Every time I think I have this game figured out, somebody states a point that makes me wonder. So I have decided that what I think isn't really important and that the better talent plus a few breaks will decide the outcome.Although it will be heartbreaking for the losing team not to mention their fans, I am sure it will not be the end of the world. All I can say is this is a great game for both schools and it should give the UD's administrations reason to schedule this type of game in the future. Sorry rabbitt fans but I see the Hens in a close high scoring game.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post

It is specious to assume that past experience with teams in the Valley is sufficient to grasp the way that SDSU plays.

The size may be similar to other teams in the Valley, but that's not where SDSU derives its advantage. SDSU was a ranked team in 2006 with players significantly smaller and slower than the current class.
                                Replies in message board format are typically defined by a previous point/argument. It would be overly presumptuous to reply to a thread, and call someone out, without reading prior comments.

Take it up with your colleague from Milwaukee.

Comment

Working...
                                X