Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: SDSU at Delaware

Originally posted by HensRock View Post
    Using info I got from this site and GoJacks.com (and the non-existant Delaware info which appears to be a State secret), I've compiled the 2-Deeps for both teams on a single sheet and offfered it to the members at GoHens.net. I thought you Jacks fans following the game would also appreciate having the 2-Deeps for both squads on a single sheet, so I thought I'd share it with you.

http://www.gohens.net/downloads/Delaware-SDSU.pdf
    I like the size of our OL starters, but I did notice that UD's 2nd string OL are a bunch of HUGE freshman...geez.
    With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
      I'll toy some more...photographic proof.

Well...even if it's wrong...Wagon Train is on at Noon followed by Daniel Boone...who can argue with that programming!

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
        What is funny I was thinking State probably has one of the best defensive backfields that Devlin is going to see this year.
        That could well be true. On the whole, though, I don't recall seeing many groups of DB's disrupt our passing game all that much... with the exception of ASU in '07 at Chattanooga. Even with Flacco throwing, they were so much more athletic than our group of receivers it wasn't funny. Don't think I saw more than a step or two of separation by our guys all night.

That is if the defensive front doesn't eat Devlin alive.
        This is one of my two big concerns. First is that our OL won't be able to get the running game going, second is that they won't pass-protect. OL has been a real sore spot, as you might guess from my first post. Lots of folks say they've made big strides, but last year, quality DL's gave us fits. Moats (JMU/Buffalo Bills) and Tracy (W&M/NY Giants) were absolute wrecking crews against our passing game, much more disruptive than any secondary except ASU.

Comment

Originally posted by Oldhen View Post
          That could well be true. On the whole, though, I don't recall seeing many groups of DB's disrupt our passing game all that much... with the exception of ASU in '07 at Chattanooga. Even with Flacco throwing, they were so much more athletic than our group of receivers it wasn't funny. Don't think I saw more than a step or two of separation by our guys all night.

This is one of my two big concerns. First is that our OL won't be able to get the running game going, second is that they won't pass-protect. OL has been a real sore spot, as you might guess from my first post. Lots of folks say they've made big strides, but last year, quality DL's gave us fits. Moats (JMU/Buffalo Bills) and Tracy (W&M/NY Giants) were absolute wrecking crews against our passing game, much more disruptive than any secondary except ASU.
          IMO, a defensive backfield is only as good as the D-line. It doesn't matter who you have on the WR if the QB has all day to throw. On the flip-side, an aggressive D-line can make a decent secondary look great by rushing passes and creating tipped passes.
          -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

I like the size of our OL starters, but I did notice that UD's 2nd string OL are a bunch of HUGE freshman...geez.
            Hopefully we can season these pups in time for a playoff run.
            This is part of the young group coming in that OldHen spoke highly of.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
              IMO, a defensive backfield is only as good as the D-line. It doesn't matter who you have on the WR if the QB has all day to throw. On the flip-side, an aggressive D-line can make a decent secondary look great by rushing passes and creating tipped passes.
              Agree completely.

Some of this, though, comes from UD's passing scheme (of which I am not a big fan). For the past eight years, it has emphasized short or mid-range passes to stationary receivers at spots on the field underneath coverage. Ball-control passing?

We have a new OC who has started to move away from this... but you'll still see lots of passes (too many) to flatfooted UD receivers underneath coverage with their back to paydirt... unless our OC has further modified the scheme to include more higher-risk downfield throws to moving targets.

I can only dream.

Comment

Originally posted by State Line Liquors View Post
                At the risk of sounding ignorant, how come SDSU and NDSU don't play in the same conference as USD and UND?
                They did ten years ago.

At the time that the University of Northern Colorado, South Dakota State and North Dakota State (3 of the 9 members of the North Central Conference) opted to go D-1 there was a conference vote on whether the entire conference should go D-1. That vote failed. USD voted in favor of the move. UND did not.

UND even went so far as to hold a press conference to say they never wanted to play NDSU again.

There is considerably more bad blood between UND & NDSU than between USD and SDSU. There are many reasons for this--and most of them are irrational and incomprehensible to those who are not die-hard supporters of one of the two institutions.
                Outside of NDSU who's your least favorite MVFC opponent? Do you guys think the UNI fans and program seem like whining weenies too?
                Watch this press conference and see if you can guess how SDSU fans generally feel about UNI.
                Tell me about the Beef Bowl the Cereal Bowl and Hobo Day(?)!
                Most of the state's farm & ranch associations sponsor a football or a basketball game. SDSU is very much a 'working' university, and these are the occasions where the various ag associations give back.

The Beef Bowl & Cereal Bowls aren't quite as exciting as the Pork Classic--wherein a live pig is auctioned off at center court during halftime of a men's basketball game.

Hobo Day is billed as 'the biggest single day event in the Dakotas', and features a parade, various traditional excesses, and the consumption of significant quantities of alcohol. It dates back to 1912, and has had its ups and downs. It is, apparently, one of the more odd homecomings celebrated at the college level.
                In addition, how come only five home games? Our fans would bubble like a bowl of Rice Crispies if that as our schedule.
                $$$

SDSU is, shall we say, rather frugal. They field 21 varsity sports on an $11M budget. The football program operated out of construction site trailers for about a decade.

At present there isn't enough money in the budget to buy home games.

One other thing you should know about--although since the home and home was canceled, you'll miss an opportunity to see them in person: the Pride of the Dakotas. It's a BCS caliber marching band (the current band director was hired away from Utah). There aren't any good videos of the band available. Suffice to say that I've seen the bowl halftime shows put on by "Name Brand" schools and only "Script Ohio" has impressed me.

Comment

Originally posted by Oldhen View Post
                  Our secondary is the best you will see all year. That includes Nebraska. No, I'm not full of $hit.
                  Just when I was beginning to think it was possible that UD fans were a reasonable bunch...

Sorry, but this statement is purely ridiculous. Sounds like something a Bison or UNI fan would say.

I don't doubt that your secondary is very, very good, but to say your defensive backfield is better than Nebraska is a pretty big leap. I guess we'll see.
                  “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                    Just when I was beginning to think it was possible that UD fans were a reasonable bunch...

Sorry, but this statement is purely ridiculous. Sounds like something a Bison or UNI fan would say.

I don't doubt that your secondary is very, very good, but to say your defensive backfield is better than Nebraska is a pretty big leap. I guess we'll see.
                    Like I said... reserve judgement until you've played both. Ours don't have the NFL-measurables, but they are a very effective group.

You think Nebraska's better after playing both, I'll concede.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post

Watch this press conference and see if you can guess how SDSU fans generally feel about UNI.
                      Those two should never have been chosen to speak for their team. Awful.....sad thing is Mahoney was a South Dakota boy(though O'Gorman), he should have known better. Grace turned out to be an idiot as well. OK, I'll admit my respect for UNI is very little. SIU and Lennon has been a class act all around! We need to beat both this year!

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post

I agree totally ridiculous Will any of Delawares Db's get drafted in the first round??? Let me answer that with a RESOUNDING NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SpeedRabbit View Post
                          I agree totally ridiculous Will any of Delawares Db's get drafted in the first round??? Let me answer that with a RESOUNDING NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                          Relax fellas...so a Big 12 team has a better secondary. UD's is good enough to dominate at this level without having a first roud draft pick back there. Just like Minett is good enough to dominate even though he might not get drafted until the late rounds. Doesn't matter, objective is to win, whether you have April draftees or not.

Comment

If our D-line doesn't dominate their O-line I don't think anyone can say that we'll win this game. They have a proven QB that is without a doubt their strength. As stated before, it doesn't matter how talented our backfield is if they are having to provide run support and if their QB has time to throw or escaps the pocket. We have struggled mightily against teams with mobile QB's and it appears UD has a mobile QB with a great arm.

So, we need to stuff the run early, pressure the QB so we can hold them on 3rd and long, control the clock with our ground game on offense and value the ball. We don't do those things and we should win. I don't know if we can count on our offense to put up more than 30 points, too many unanswered questions. That said, IMHO, it doesn't matter if our defense does the job it can and we don't turn it over or choke on special teams.
                            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

UD's secondary is pretty good, but they won't be good enough if the untested Hen DL can't slow down the run or put some heat on the SDSU QB.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                                If our D-line doesn't dominate their O-line I don't think anyone can say that we'll win this game.
                                I'm inclined to agree.

If UD's able to run the ball, we should win and it might not be close. Devlin will have just too many options and should get time to throw. That will bode quite well for the rest of our season.

We don't run the ball, it'll come down to how effectively SDSU can control the clock and what kind of field position they give UD. Devlin's very good, but he'll have an awful time trying to put points on the board without a running game unless he gets short fields. I'd expect to see way too many UD three-and-outs and a brutal third down pass rush against Devlin. That was the story of '09. Not interested in a replay.

UD's always prided themselves on stopping the run, but the past 4-5 years... not so much. We're pretty average there. I'd expect SDSU to be able to drive the ball and convert third downs.

Comment

Working...
                                X