Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SDSU at Delaware

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
    Where do you find all those good QB's? I guess its helpful to be within miles of several major population centers such as Philadelphia, NYC and others.
    Within a 5-6 hour drive from Delaware, you can get to PA, MD, NJ, NY, Mass, Conn, Rhode Island, Wash DC, VA, and NC. Heck, within 20 minutes from campus you can get to PA, MD, and NJ alone. Definitely a bunch of other schools competing for the same guys, including FBS and top FCS teams but lots of talent to find.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
      Where do you find all those good QB's? I guess its helpful to be within miles of several major population centers such as Philadelphia, NYC and others.

Flacco transferred from the University of Missouri

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
        Flacco transferred from Pittsburgh and is from nearby Audobon, NJ (about an hour from UD's campus).

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
          Not Missouri...University of Pittsburgh.

*Hopefully the Hens players aren't as quick as their posters...UD1Hens beat me to it.
          "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

As much fun as it is to talk about us, I'm curious to learn about you guys.

At the risk of sounding ignorant, how come SDSU and NDSU don't play in the same conference as USD and UND? Outside of NDSU who's your least favorite MVFC opponent? Do you guys think the UNI fans and program seem like whining weenies too?

Tell me about the Beef Bowl the Cereal Bowl and Hobo Day(?)!

In addition, how come only five home games? Our fans would bubble like a bowl of Rice Crispies if that as our schedule.

Comment

The is no way to explain Hobo Day.... you have to experience it!

Comment

First, the discussion in this thread regarding an established and respected FCS opponent supports very strongly the reasons I support continuing to schedule games like this one. Articles and web discussion from coast to coast about this game. That doesn't happen if you never venture outside your region.

Next, its going to be one heck of a game and will likely come down to the basics. Field position, time of possession, and valuing the ball. The team that "wins" 2 or 3 of these categories will likely win the game. Granted, that is the way it is with most evenly matched opponents. I can't wait.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by State Line Liquors View Post
                  As much fun as it is to talk about us, I'm curious to learn about you guys.

At the risk of sounding ignorant, how come SDSU and NDSU don't play in the same conference as USD and UND? Outside of NDSU who's your least favorite MVFC opponent? Do you guys think the UNI fans and program seem like whining weenies too?

Tell me about the Beef Bowl the Cereal Bowl and Hobo Day(?)!

In addition, how come only five home games? Our fans would bubble like a bowl of Rice Crispies if that as our schedule.
                  USD and UND did not jump to D1 at the same time, even thought the XDSU's asked both of them to come along for the ride. They jumped later, as such a great disdain as come from both XDSU's towards their respective UXD.(i.e NDSU is playing USD this year and SDSU is playing UND, and the scheduling controversy goes on)
                  Least favorite opponent would be SIU, because we have not beaten them IMO, however I think we respect SIU more than we do UNI because of said "whininess" by fans on up to their coach, once again my opinion
                  Hobo Day is our homecoming, about 30000-50000 people descend upon Brookings if they are young they start drinking friday, go to bed, wake up at 7am and start drinking again, wait for the parade, some actually go to the game, pass out somewhere for two hours get up and drink again. There is a great parade with about 20 odd bands, floats, & candy and brings back a lot of memories for those of us born and raised in Brookings and now passing it on to our own kids. We usually don't start drinking until 9am, because we are a little wiser now.
                  The Beef Bowl embraces our ag heritage and they actually auction of donated cattle at halftime. Of course it's pretty much the same two or 3 people that buy them. Also a beef feed in the tailgate area
                  Cereal Bowl is sponsored by the SD Corn growers and Soybean growers there they usually donate around $800000 or so to the school, with big "Happy Gilmore" checks.
                  5 home games because we don't want to play D2 schools and we want our payday check. We also need about 10000 more seats in our stadium to make it worth it to pay people to come visit us. You try to get teams to come to SD. As such the FBS games have been really close so travel to them has been fun. But our average attendance is as high as it has ever been and we have a new AD that is getting $%#% done! So we're on our way!
                  With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Blog about a Delaware connection to SDSU. You have to log in to read it.

http://www.newarkpostonline.com/arti...2806388446.txt
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                      Blog about a Delaware connection to SDSU. You have to log in to read it.

http://www.newarkpostonline.com/arti...2806388446.txt
                      Here is another article about this by our school's website:
                      http://www.udel.edu/udaily/2011/sep/...ine090710.html

Next is a short game preview and prediction from our student newspaper, UD Review:
                      http://www.udreview.com/sports/under...tate-1.1554870 (Note: Delaware is no more intimidating than Montana, so your returning starters should be fine with the atmosphere/noise.)

Thanks for the info regarding the various names and info about SDSU. Nice to have intelligent conversations with passionate fans from the midwest. I 'know' about your RB and running game...how about your sophomore Qb/passing game?

Comment

Originally posted by UD1Hens View Post
                        Flacco transferred from Pittsburgh
                        yea that is what I meant

Comment

Great finds, JackMD and UD1Hens!

Comment

Thanks for the info regarding the various names and info about SDSU. Nice to have intelligent conversations with passionate fans from the midwest. I 'know' about your RB and running game...how about your sophomore Qb/passing game?
                            Here is a little preview I put together this afternoon. A primer for several more stories to run Thursday and Friday.
                            http://hartleyshuddle.wordpress.com/...t-2009-season/

Comment

I 'know' about your RB and running game...how about your sophomore Qb/passing game?
                              When TOB was born God decided his arm should be replaced with a rocket launcher. I'm not even kidding a little, he throws lasers. They say he has taken this team by the horns over the course of the Summer. He has done all the right things. Ice in his veins, all the right things could be said, but this kid walks the walk. Let's hope it translates. He was an MVFC newcomer of the Year.
                              But think as a Redshirt Freshman he has:
                              Almost led the Jacks to victory against a B10 Minn. team in front of 40000
                              Almost beat down Montana at their own own home in front of 25000 howling griz
                              Almost beat a nicely ranked Cal Poly team on the road when he was asked to come in off the bench when our starting Sr. QB went down.

SO....my guess is he, like us fans, is pretty sick of almost. He is going to do great things this year!
                              With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
                                USD and UND did not jump to D1 at the same time, even thought the XDSU's asked both of them to come along for the ride. They jumped later, as such a great disdain as come from both XDSU's towards their respective UXD.(i.e NDSU is playing USD this year and SDSU is playing UND, and the scheduling controversy goes on)
                                Least favorite opponent would be SIU, because we have not beaten them IMO, however I think we respect SIU more than we do UNI because of said "whininess" by fans on up to their coach, once again my opinion
                                Hobo Day is our homecoming, about 30000-50000 people descend upon Brookings if they are young they start drinking friday, go to bed, wake up at 7am and start drinking again, wait for the parade, some actually go to the game, pass out somewhere for two hours get up and drink again. There is a great parade with about 20 odd bands, floats, & candy and brings back a lot of memories for those of us born and raised in Brookings and now passing it on to our own kids. We usually don't start drinking until 9am, because we are a little wiser now.
                                The Beef Bowl embraces our ag heritage and they actually auction of donated cattle at halftime. Of course it's pretty much the same two or 3 people that buy them. Also a beef feed in the tailgate area
                                Cereal Bowl is sponsored by the SD Corn growers and Soybean growers there they usually donate around $800000 or so to the school, with big "Happy Gilmore" checks.
                                5 home games because we don't want to play D2 schools and we want our payday check. We also need about 10000 more seats in our stadium to make it worth it to pay people to come visit us. You try to get teams to come to SD. As such the FBS games have been really close so travel to them has been fun. But our average attendance is as high as it has ever been and we have a new AD that is getting $%#% done! So we're on our way!
                                Thanks for the all the info! If UD fans could offer a good enough guaranteed attendance do you think we might be able to convince the powers that be at both Universities to schedule the UD visit for Hobo Day? Sounds like a perfect opportunity to see a few of your 'bunnies' with their guards down (and tops up perhaps?) I was really hoping football would have given justification to see your part of the country. I know it's on the other side of the state, but I have to admit that 'Deadwood' was probably my favorite show of all time and I would have loved to make the few day excursion to get over to the Black Hills and see the countryside along the way.

Given the general lack of interest by SIU's fanbase (from what I hear) and the 'dopey, whiny, little brother' feeling I've always had from UNI, I think I officially have a school in the MVFC to hang my banner on. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                X