Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fall Camp Thread

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
    Can a redshirt travel with the team? Could anyone see a case where Sumner is the #2 QB in name but holds his redshirt during the season? Would only be pulled if TOB got hurt and we needed to go with the #2, otherwise Thomas gets mopup duties?
    I believe redshirts can travel- as long as they don't play there redshirt is still a go.

Comment

Unless rules are different now, redshirts can travel as long as coaches are OK with using up a travel spot on a non-player. Theoretically Sumner could travel all year and not play a snap and take his redshirt year.
      I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
        Can a redshirt travel with the team? Could anyone see a case where Sumner is the #2 QB in name but holds his redshirt during the season? Would only be pulled if TOB got hurt and we needed to go with the #2, otherwise Thomas gets mopup duties?
        One would have to think that they will have Sumner travel and dress just incase a QB goes down. Otherwise, I guess they could go with Jeske as the third emergency QB like they almost had to do in Fargo 2 seasons ago.
        http://www.twitter.com/minneapolisjack

Comment

I would be very surprised if Sumner travelled as a redshirt. It's always a squeeze getting everyone that they want/need on the trip without a redshirt taking up a spot.

Plus, I think a year just getting used to things as a young guy would be much more beneficial than burning up a year so he can grab bench and never play.

Just my .02

Comment

Originally posted by Danger41 View Post
            I would be very surprised if Sumner travelled as a redshirt. It's always a squeeze getting everyone that they want/need on the trip without a redshirt taking up a spot.

Plus, I think a year just getting used to things as a young guy would be much more beneficial than burning up a year so he can grab bench and never play.

Just my .02
            I hear that M. Hyland is taking some backup snaps also so my guess would be that Sumner would not travel. Just a guess.

Comment

Anyone know how the team is healthwise? Seems like in following Hartley's blog that there are a few guys being held out of practice. Are those considered major injuries or are they mostly precautions right now?

Only 10 days away from Delaware now, I hope we can go in there at full strength!

Comment

Wow we are thin at QB this year. Jordon Thomas and Sumner and thats it. Corey Jeske is a great guy and a worker on D, but really never got much chance to show what he could do at QB. I suppose he is an option in case we have QB going down, but not likely since he is needed on defense.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                  Wow we are thin at QB this year. Jordon Thomas and Sumner and thats it. Corey Jeske is a great guy and a worker on D, but really never got much chance to show what he could do at QB. I suppose he is an option in case we have QB going down, but not likely since he is needed on defense.
                  We are short- didn't help any that Lotzer quit

Comment

Originally posted by SpeedRabbit View Post
                    We are short- didn't help any that Lotzer quit
                    We lost like 4 QB's in the last 2 years if you count crawford in the mix. That's quite a few. Lotzer was a big factor, but I don't blame him, TOB has at least the next year or three locked up, and not sure if anyone disputes that Sumner will be the eventual future. Wish he would have stuck it out just this year though. Oh well wish in one hand.....
                    With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

I was of the impression that Loetzer didn't quit, that other factors sidelined him for the year. That's why I'd been hoping that he comes back next year. A baseless hope, perhaps. Regardless, in terms of depth, the Jacks went from QB-rich to QB-OK in one year. Going to have to bring in another young stud or two next year.
                      This space for lease.

Comment

The Jacks will be limited to the amount of people they bring based on the plane size. Stig has some injured upper class men that have earned the right to travel with the team. Stig has too much class to bring an underclassman along who has not earned a spot over an upper class man who has earned his stripes. Stig will put the team first, that is why he wins. In the past, red shirts and most non travel squad players have been responsible for themselves to get to the away games. The NCAA regulates how many travel squad people you can dress for a game. I am speculating that the depth chart for Delaware should be posted because the Jacks should now be installing their game plan. I'm surprised that TV has not reported this if it indeed has occurred. Then again, I'm not that surprised based on TV's past reporting performance. I would also guess that the coaches have not listed the travel squad because there should still be some back up position battles occurring. Pure speculation on my part.

Comment

From Terry's new blog:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...Id=personaDest

"Also, the Jacks are going to consider three true freshmen to play. That means they'll prepare as if they'll play, probably travel and then get in the game as ready or if necessary. They are: QB Austin Sumner, DL Dijonn Starr and CB Avery Boykin.
                          According to coach John Stiegelmeier, Starr and Boykin are being considered because of their ability, while Sumner is getting a look due to a lack of depth - just three bodies.
                          Keep in mind that SDSU had a true freshman at QB last year, too, and he never wound up playing, thus preserving his redshirt."

Comment

I'm hearing Brandon Wegher talk again. Any truth?

Comment

Looks like I'll have to eat my words, TV came thru with some reporting thru the press conferance.

Comment

Originally posted by shot_5533 View Post
                                The Jacks will be limited to the amount of people they bring based on the plane size. Stig has some injured upper class men that have earned the right to travel with the team. Stig has too much class to bring an underclassman along who has not earned a spot over an upper class man who has earned his stripes. Stig will put the team first, that is why he wins. In the past, red shirts and most non travel squad players have been responsible for themselves to get to the away games. The NCAA regulates how many travel squad people you can dress for a game. I am speculating that the depth chart for Delaware should be posted because the Jacks should now be installing their game plan. I'm surprised that TV has not reported this if it indeed has occurred. Then again, I'm not that surprised based on TV's past reporting performance. I would also guess that the coaches have not listed the travel squad because there should still be some back up position battles occurring. Pure speculation on my part.

Really????

Tell me who in the SD media would report even half as much ingo as TV does and has done in regards to SDSU athletics.

I think I may have veered this one off the road....seems to be a trend with a few threads....Sorry, but that was just a really interesting comment.

Go Jacks!!
                                SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Working...
                                X