Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fall Camp Thread

Originally posted by shot_5533 View Post
    Looks like I'll have to eat my words, TV came thru with some reporting thru the press conferance.
    You do realize he has a wife and two unborn children in the hospital right now don't you? Cut the guy some slack, he's doing an amazing job, especially considering the circumstances.

Comment

My thoughts and prayers are with Terry and his wife plus unborn children.

How would the general public know that?

That being said - I'm confused. Please explain - Why can professional coaches and amateur players be questioned on this board but the professional career sportswriter is considered untouchable? Because he is paid to cover SDSU sports?

Comment

My thoughts and prayers are with Terry and his wife plus unborn children.

How would the general public know that?

That being said - I'm confused. Please explain - Why can professional coaches and amateur players be questioned on this board but the professional career sportswriter is considered untouchable? Because he is paid to cover SDSU sports?
        Most SDSU fans will defend TV because of the amount of coverage he has brought to the Argus and SDSU community. If you look at the media coverage now compared to 5 years ago it's come a lonnnng ways and we all owe TV and the Argus for that because they raised the bar.

Most fans have some knowledge of Terry's current situation from following his twitter account twitter.com/terryvandrovec and I think everybody is hoping for the best.

I also give props to the Brookings Register and Nick Hartley for stepping up big these last couple months and providing good coverage. It's been great to check out the daily recaps/videos of practice.
        http://www.twitter.com/minneapolisjack

Comment

Am I imagining things, but it seems that TV mention a while back that as many as six true freshmen could see playing time this fall. Seem like he made mention of this when he reported we had 32 new faces on the team this year. I am curious, who the other three might be.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
            Am I imagining things, but it seems that TV mention a while back that as many as six true freshmen could see playing time this fall. Seem like he made mention of this when he reported we had 32 new faces on the team this year. I am curious, who the other three might be.
            That would have been myself in the first post of this thread. The names mentioned were: Auston LaBlance, DiJon Starr, Jack Sherlock, Avery Boykin, Ramel Crenshaw and Cedric Provost. Crenshaw, LaBlance and Sherlock have battled through some injuries in fall camp.

Comment

Originally posted by SFJACK View Post
              I'm hearing Brandon Wegher talk again. Any truth?
              Hopefully he stays in Iowa City

Comment

Originally posted by MinneapolisJack View Post
                I also give props to the Brookings Register and Nick Hartley for stepping up big these last couple months and providing good coverage. It's been great to check out the daily recaps/videos of practice.
                Thanks for the props, but I would refrain from giving any to the Brookings Register as of right now. I am not currently employed by the Brookings Register sports staff. All of the work so far has been all free lance work. All of the fall camp coverage has been through HartleysHuddle Media, which I started up back in May.

So shameless plug time... If you want good SDSU coverage in the city of Brookings, HartleysHuddle Media is the name you should turn to

Something about blogs, twitter and video irked my sports editor at the Register.

Comment

I just finished checking it out. Awesome site and coverage. That is what I expect for coverage. The videos are tremendous. I compare them to Greg Bedell's work with the Packers for the Milwaukee Journal.

Comment

Greg Bedard I mean.

Comment

The Jacks will be limited to the amount of people they bring based on the plane size. Stig has some injured upper class men that have earned the right to travel with the team. Stig has too much class to bring an underclassman along who has not earned a spot over an upper class man who has earned his stripes. Stig will put the team first, that is why he wins. In the past, red shirts and most non travel squad players have been responsible for themselves to get to the away games. The NCAA regulates how many travel squad people you can dress for a game. I am speculating that the depth chart for Delaware should be posted because the Jacks should now be installing their game plan. I'm surprised that TV has not reported this if it indeed has occurred. Then again, I'm not that surprised based on TV's past reporting performance. I would also guess that the coaches have not listed the travel squad because there should still be some back up position battles occurring. Pure speculation on my part.
                      IMO - any injured player that cannot suit up should not be traveling regardless of what they have contributed in the past. Costs associated with bringing someone who doesn't have the opportunity to contribute don't make sense. If a player is a true freshman and the coaches feel he's a contributor he better be on the plane.

As far as depth chart being posted, does that even happen?? Until the team gets off the plane I would assume that the public would have no clue who's on the travel squad. Heck, most players used to not know until Thursday of game week if they were traveling or not.

I appreciate the work TV puts in regardless of if he has personal stuff he's dealing with or not. He's the best SDSU has had in the 19 years I've been around SDSU sports.
                      I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Every school posts a depth chart prior to a game.

Look at Iowa. Woody Orne is listed as second string for their game this weekend.

You are right, the Travel squad is posted the week of the game, early enough so the players can make plans with their professors for missing Friday classes.

So your telling me that Conrad K., if he is still injured and cannot play, does not have the right to fly to Delaware with the team? I'm not saying list him on the travel squad, I'm asking you - Does Conrad have the right to fly with the team if he is still injured for Delaware?

Comment

That's a tough question 5533. But I would say no if he does not have any chance of playing. Do you set the precedence that injured seniors get to travel.....or only players that have so many starts......where does it begin/end? What if you had 9 seniors that were hurt? It sucks - but there are travelling limitations and you do what is right for the team. I think our guys expect that. Now, if there is a way to do it without him (or any other senior) counting against our travelling healthy player cap - of course you take them.

Comment

Every school posts a depth chart prior to a game.

Look at Iowa. Woody Orne is listed as second string for their game this weekend.

You are right, the Travel squad is posted the week of the game, early enough so the players can make plans with their professors for missing Friday classes.

So your telling me that Conrad K., if he is still injured and cannot play, does not have the right to fly to Delaware with the team? I'm not saying list him on the travel squad, I'm asking you - Does Conrad have the right to fly with the team if he is still injured for Delaware?
                            SDSU puts out a pdf news release on game week that will have the current depth chart along with a write-up of that weeks opponent and team stats/records. You can find it at this link: http://www.gojacks.com/SportSelect.d...&Q_SEASON=2010 (it won't be posted until next week)

Heres a link to what they typically look like. https://www.nmnathletics.com//pdf4/6...B_OEM_ID=15000

A good read on game week.

Comment

I'm guessing that some alumni, certain dignitaries, and sportswriters are flying on that charter too. Can someone who knows, verify that? I don't know who flies on the charter.

Conrad is a captain; no question he would and deserves to go in lieu of one of the dignitaries. He has earned that right. Kick out the dignitary.

A player that is on the travel squad, regardless of year of eligibility, has earned that right also.

Stig knows what he is doing; he would do the best for the team.

Comment

Originally posted by JackFlash View Post
                                That's a tough question 5533. But I would say no if he does not have any chance of playing. Do you set the precedence that injured seniors get to travel.....or only players that have so many starts......where does it begin/end? What if you had 9 seniors that were hurt? It sucks - but there are travelling limitations and you do what is right for the team. I think our guys expect that. Now, if there is a way to do it without him (or any other senior) counting against our travelling healthy player cap - of course you take them.
                                I'm not sure what Coach Stig's philosophy is but I could see if a player was a Sr and a team captain that they would allow them to travel. But I agree that it could get iffy as to where to do draw the line.

As far as Conrad goes, I still have my fingers crossed that he will be ready to go against Delaware. I see that he is practicing with a helmet on now so hopefully his neck is feeling better.

Comment

Working...
                                X