2010 MLB Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2010 MLB Draft

I know the MLB draft is still a few months away but we have a good chance to have a few players drafted this year. Both Jesse Sawyer and Blake Treinen was named by Jim Callis of Baseball American has draft sleepers for the Dakots. He wrote the following per his twitter account:

Dakotas #mlbdraft sleeper: South Dakota State 3B Jesse Sawyer. 6-2/220 with some raw power and maybe enough athleticism to stay at 3B.

Bonus Dakotas #mlbdraft sleeper! South Dakota St. RHP Blake Treinen. 6-4/215, 3rd school/1st year of varsity, FB up to 94, has hard breaker.

Re: 2010 MLB Draft

Baseball American released its state by state write up on the Dakatos today. Here is the toip 5 prospects which include 3 Jacks and 1 recruit of ours.

1. Blake Treinen, rhp, South Dakota State
    2. Trever Vermeulen, rhp, South Dakota State
    3. Jesse Sawyer, 3b, South Dakota State
    4. Andy Leer, ss, Mary (N.D.)
    5. Kolton Emery, rhp, Stevens HS, Rapid City, S.D.

Here is the write ups on Treinen, Vermeulen, and Sawyer.

Treinen Comes Out Of Nowhere

Blake Treinen didn't play in an official game in the first three years of his college career, serving a stint on the junior varsity team at NAIA Baker (Kan.), not playing baseball at Arkansas and sitting out 2009 at South Dakota State after transferring. He has been a revelation this spring, a 6-foot-4, 200-pound righthander with a fastball that tops out at 94 mph. He's still learning to pitch, so his hard breaking pitches and command need refinement, but he has more potential that the typical Dakotas prospect. He went 7-0 in the regular season before Oral Roberts routed him with 14 runs in four innings in the Summit League tournament.

South Dakota State plays in an offensive environment, with the Jackrabbits and their opponents averaging a combined 17.2 runs per game in 2010. That makes righthander Trever Vermeulen's 1.12 ERA (third in NCAA Division I entering regional play) and one home run allowed in 64 innings all the more outstanding. Vermeulen is a 5-foot-10, 180-pound submariner who is more likely to be a senior sign for 2012, but he overmatches college righthanders with a lively 83-86 mph sinker and a sweeping slider.

Jesse Sawyer has set and tied South Dakota State's single-season home run record (19) in each of his two years since transferring from Lethbridge (Alberta) CC. The 6-foot-2, 220-pounder offers righthanded power and arm strength, though his lack of range may force him to move from third base in pro ball.

Comment

40, Could you possibly share the information on Kolton Emery too?

Comment

Originally posted by 76Rabbit View Post
        40, Could you possibly share the information on Kolton Emery too?
        They didn't have a write up on Emery, they just ranked him. From what I hear he has a small chance of getting drafted late in the draft, but won't be high enough or enough money for him to sign. I have seen him several times and his fastball is 86-89, pretty good slider that is mid to high 70s, decent changeup. He has been playing 2B this season, but could play SS or 3B and has a very good bat. I think he could come in next season and be the 3rd or 4th starter and has play 2B or 3B depending on the need there.

Comment

I guess I wouldn't be too disappointed if the Jacks didn't have any players drafted. That would mean we will get them back for next season.
          http://www.twitter.com/minneapolisjack

Comment

Perfect Game released their write up on South Dakota today.

1. BLAKE TREINEN, rhp, South Dakota State (Jr.)
            Fourth-year JR, but first Division-I baseball experience (7-1, 75 IP/82 SO); FB up to 94 mph, off speed raw

3. JESSE SAWYER, 3b, South Dakota State (Jr.)
            Canadian power bat in 6-3/220 frame, tied own record for season HR (19), long/power swing, projects 1B
            4. TREVOR VERMEULEN, rhp, South Dakota State (Jr.)
            Five-foot-10 submariner, abusive stats in offensive league (9-1, 1.12, 10 SV), has mid-80s fastball, + sink

One other thing that was mentioned that I found interesting is that basketball recruit Marcus Heemstra will also be playing on the baseball team as a pitcher. I looked up their write up on him and his fastball tops out at 88 right now. I sure hope they are right now this, as he could develop into something really special as a pitcher with his size.

Comment

Originally posted by sdjackfan40 View Post

Fourth-year JR, but first Division-I baseball experience (7-1, 75 IP/82 SO); FB up to 94 mph, off speed raw

Canadian power bat in 6-3/220 frame, tied own record for season HR (19), long/power swing, projects 1B
              Five-foot-10 submariner, abusive stats in offensive league (9-1, 1.12, 10 SV), has mid-80s fastball, + sink

One other thing that was mentioned that I found interesting is that basketball recruit Marcus Heemstra will also be playing on the baseball team as a pitcher. I looked up their write up on him and his fastball tops out at 88 right now. I sure hope they are right now this, as he could develop into something really special as a pitcher with his size.
              That would be surprising to me if he played baseball as his scholarship would then count against the baseball team rather than the basketball team and a full-ride would take up a big percentage of the scholarships allowed for baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                That would be surprising to me if he played baseball as his scholarship would then count against the baseball team rather than the basketball team and a full-ride would take up a big percentage of the scholarships allowed for baseball.
                I don't believe it would count against baseball, as basketball is considered by the NCAA to be ranked higher then baseball. Basketball is right under football.

Comment

I don't believe it would count against baseball, as basketball is considered by the NCAA to be ranked higher then baseball. Basketball is right under football.
                  I understand it the same way you do. He could not have gotten a baseball schollie and walked on for basketball, but he could do it the way that has been mentioned above.

Comment

Who is #2, #5, etc?
                    Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Wouldn't this count the same way as Vlastuin would have counted against the track scholarship total if he took a full ride for basketball?

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                        Wouldn't this count the same way as Vlastuin would have counted against the track scholarship total if he took a full ride for basketball?
                        Vlastuin is on a TRACK schollie. If he played on the basketball team, then he would have counted against the basketball scholarship limit, which last year there was no capacity. Depending on his interest, with the five schollies availabe, this may be worth a revisit.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                          Who is #2, #5, etc?
                          #2 is RHP Lincoln Gassman from Dakota State and they ranked 4 players.

2. LINCOLN GASSMAN, rhp, Dakota State (Sr.)
                          Big frame (6-3,/220); some polish for NAIA hurler, 88-92 FB, feel for off-speed; SR sign type (6-3, 4.61)

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
                            Vlastuin is on a TRACK schollie. If he played on the basketball team, then he would have counted against the basketball scholarship limit, which last year there was no capacity. Depending on his interest, with the five schollies availabe, this may be worth a revisit.
                            My bad, guess I had the rule backwards in my mind. Carry on

Comment

Here is Perfect Game's response to my draft question today.

When can we expect RHP Blake Treinen of South Dakota State and any other of the [...]Jackrabbits drafted?

The Jackrabbits (great nickname) had an outstanding year, going 39-20 and beating 3 NCAA regional teams. Treinen and Jesse Sawyer should be round 15-25 type picks and I know scouts love Trevor Vermeulen, although his size and sidearm style might make him better as a senior pick in 2011.

Comment

Working...
                              X