2010 MLB Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2010 MLB Draft

ORU's Tyler Saladino is the first Summit League player (Conference MVP) off the board in the 7th round, overall pick 218, to the Chicago White Sox.
    If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
    - Steven Wright

Comment

Blake Treinen was just drafted in the 23rd round 707 overall by the Florida Marlins.

Comment

Originally posted by sdjackfan40 View Post
        Blake Treinen was just drafted in the 23rd round 707 overall by the Florida Marlins.
        Wow, you were all over that one sdjackfan40
        - Steven Wright

Comment

Congratulations to Blake. I can't imagine how cool that must feel. Sure would like to see him in blue and yellow next year though.

Comment

Originally posted by SouthernJack View Post
            Congratulations to Blake. I can't imagine how cool that must feel. Sure would like to see him in blue and yellow next year though.
            Well he has until August 15th or so to sign a contract, if he doesn't sign he can return to SDSU and keep his eligibility.

Comment

Maybe someone knows more than I would, but I gotta think he would go much higher next year if he can come back and work a bit more on his breaking stuff and control.

Does it benefit him to come back for a year, or head off to the minors?
              http://www.twitter.com/minneapolisjack

Comment

Notable Players Drafted Today:

Summit League Players Drafted

Tyler Saladino (ORU), 218 pick (7th Round) by the Chicago White Sox
                * Summit League Player of the Year/New Comer of the Year
                Boone Whiting (Cent), 559 pick (18th Round) by the St. Louis Cardinals
                * Summit League Pitcher of the Year
                Blake Treinen (SDSU), 707 pick (23th Round) by the Florida Marlins
                * SDSU's ace this year and first team All-Summit League pitcher
                Dakota Robinson (Cent), 804 pick (26th Round) by the LA Angels
                * Left Handed Pitcher

Other Notables

Matt Szczur
                (Villanova), 160 pick (5th Round) by the Chicago Cubs
                * FCS National Championship Game MVP versus Montana
                Bret Mitchell (MSU, Mankato), 362 pick (12th Round) by the New York Mets
                * from Kemo's other alma mater
                Lucas O'Rear (Northern Iowa), 397 pick (13th Round) by the Cincinnati Reds
                * key reserve for UNI's basketball team, plus UNI didn't field a baseball team this year
                Robbie Price (Kansas), 401 pick (13th Round) by the Tampa Bay Rays
                * Coach Ritchie Price's younger brother

ORU has 4 signees go in the first 20 rounds as well!
                Last edited by Kemo; 06-08-2010, 08:24 PM.
                - Steven Wright

Comment

It would benefit him to go this year. Those players drafted as seniors when their eligibility is used up have no bargaining power as far as their contract goes because they don't have anywhere to go to play except to the team that drafts them.
                  Originally posted by MinneapolisJack View Post
                  Maybe someone knows more than I would, but I gotta think he would go much higher next year if he can come back and work a bit more on his breaking stuff and control.

Comment

Originally posted by MinneapolisJack View Post

He should probably go this year. If he waits until next year he would most likely have to be a top 5 or 10 round pick next year to get around the same bonus if even that. The bonus amount can play a big role into how the the player is advanced or how many years the player has to prove himself

Comment

He has no choice. He must go. He can always come back and get his degree.
                      LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Here is an example of bonus's...

Twins gave Michael Tonkin (Jason Kubel's bro-in-law) $230,000 he was drafted in the 30th round. now he was a high school arm

Twins gave Brian Dozier who was like a 6th round draft pick last year $20,000

It depends on what the offer is, but since he is a redshirt junior his age begins to hurt him also.

Unless they go really cheap he'd be best to sign.

Comment

Just look at the ORU pitchers from last year. Serrano was pitcher of the year but he was a 23 yr old senior and he signed for $25,000. You have to take advantage of whatever leverage you have and that window of opportunity can close very quickly. I think it is very unlikely that Blake will have a better financial opportunity next year even if he improves his draft standing. It pains me to say it but I think it's practically a necessity that he sign this year.

Comment

My son spoke to Blake today and he said he is getting ready to report to the Marlins short season Low A club in a few days. It's going to be fun to follow his progress as Blake begins a new chapter in his life.

Comment

Here's Terry's article on the Argus.

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...ATES/100609025

Good luck Blake!

Comment

I just heard that Blake Treinen may indeed be back next season for the Jacks due to the Marlins being concerned about the results of his physical. If so then it is good for the Jacks, but I really feel bad for Blake.

Comment

Working...
                                X