2010 MLB Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2010 MLB Draft

Not sure this should be discussed on a forum. I thought gossip wasn't allowed.

Comment

Originally posted by 76Rabbit View Post
      Not sure this should be discussed on a forum. I thought gossip wasn't allowed.
      It's not gossip. I too questioned it a little bit when I was told this morning, but I was then showed a post by Blake on his Facebook where he replied to someone elses post and stated that the Marlins said he had to much inflamation in his shoulder and it was to big of a risk to sign him. The Marlins could still change their mind and have until August 16th to sign him if they want.

Comment

Confirmed.

From his facebook page:

they said i had too much inflamation in my shoulder and it was viewed as too much of a risk to sign me...i found it odd.. but i still have another year of college ball to prove em wrong.. its just motivation..

Comment

Originally posted by SouthernJack View Post
          Just look at the ORU pitchers from last year. Serrano was pitcher of the year but he was a 23 yr old senior and he signed for $25,000. You have to take advantage of whatever leverage you have and that window of opportunity can close very quickly. I think it is very unlikely that Blake will have a better financial opportunity next year even if he improves his draft standing. It pains me to say it but I think it's practically a necessity that he sign this year.
          I am friends w/ Brad, Dusty Colemans dad. Dusty was a very late pick of the A's after his sophmore year at Witchita State. He played that summer in the Cape Cod League (wood bat) and did quite well. A's saw that and offered Dusty late 1st round money (7-figure signing bonus and paying for him to finish last 2 yrs of schoo)l. The A's only give 2-3 guys big contracts each year, so Dusty of course accepted. I think unless you get a very respectable signing bonus that you need to come back and prove yourself again. Next years MLB Draft could be very exciting for us!

Comment

Originally posted by TeaJackrabbit View Post
            I am friends w/ Brad, Dusty Colemans dad. Dusty was a very late pick of the A's after his sophmore year at Witchita State. He played that summer in the Cape Cod League (wood bat) and did quite well. A's saw that and offered Dusty late 1st round money (7-figure signing bonus and paying for him to finish last 2 yrs of schoo)l. The A's only give 2-3 guys big contracts each year, so Dusty of course accepted. I think unless you get a very respectable signing bonus that you need to come back and prove yourself again. Next years MLB Draft could be very exciting for us!
            Coleman was drafted in the 28th round and signed for $675,000. His talent projected him to go between the 3rd to 5th round, but teams were worried about his asking price and he was a draft eligible sophomore. He went to the Cape Cod like you said was named an all star. The MLB draft is not like most other drafts. It is all about the players leverage in a lot of cases. Players all in the draft because of their asking price or injuries and bigger market teams may take them later then expected and be able to sign them. Once a player is a College Senior the player has next to no leverage for his signing bonus. I have seen many Seniors get drafted in the 7th to 10th round range and only get a couple of thousand dollars to sign. A

I think next year could be a very exciting baseball season and we could have a few more players drafted.

Comment

Working...
            X