Summit Tourney

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Summit Tourney

Bison get the #1 overall seed Oregon State in the tourney. Good luck to them.

One would think ORU will be the favorite next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
      Bison get the #1 overall seed Oregon State in the tourney. Good luck to them.

One would think ORU will be the favorite next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Ugh, not good draw. I suspect ORU will be a favorite next year. SDSU will have to play some good ball next year to make it back to the Regionals.

Comment

My first reaction as well(ORU as favorite), but they surely didn't impress this year. Granted the Southland is a far better baseball conference than the Summit(they're a 2-bid league), but ORU finished in the bottom half with a .500 conference record(15-15; 30-26 overall). On the flip side, their RPI was at 94 which puts them way ahead of the Summit leader(Omaha) at 175.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammersmith View Post
          My first reaction as well(ORU as favorite), but they surely didn't impress this year. Granted the Southland is a far better baseball conference than the Summit(they're a 2-bid league), but ORU finished in the bottom half with a .500 conference record(15-15; 30-26 overall). On the flip side, their RPI was at 94 which puts them way ahead of the Summit leader(Omaha) at 175.
          They lost Coach Walton a few years ago and I was curious how they'd do after he left. He was able to pull in some really good talent, especially pitchers, to Oral Roberts.

oral Roberts will be the favorite still, but I'm not sure if they will be as dominant as they were in the past.
          If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
          - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
            They lost Coach Walton a few years ago and I was curious how they'd do after he left. He was able to pull in some really good talent, especially pitchers, to Oral Roberts.

oral Roberts will be the favorite still, but I'm not sure if they will be as dominant as they were in the past.
            We got two in the majors, so we have not done so bad ourselves. We are seeing better talent than back in the D2 days. I know that might offend some of our former players from that era, but other than Kallevig, no one made it past Class AAA back then. I think Coach Schrage is about where we can expect in terms of wins and losses. He had a reputation for turning programs around, but at SDSU he had a pretty good frame and foundation to start with, so we have not seen magic, but one can hardly say we are going backwards either. I see Reggie Christiansen is finally starting to shine at SacState. We lost a good coach when he left.
            Last edited by Nidaros; 05-27-2014, 07:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
              Ugh, not good draw. I suspect ORU will be a favorite next year. SDSU will have to play some good ball next year to make it back to the Regionals.
              Game on now(10pm) on ESPNU. Beavers choosing to use their #3 pitcher. Hope it comes back to bite them.

Comment

Bison lose 2-1. Great game with great pitching on both sides. Bison had a chance to take the lead in the 9th, but the ball came up 10ft short(potential 2-run homer). Will play UNLV in about a half hour.

Comment

Another tough 2-1 loss to UNLV and the seasons over for the Bison.They had the tying run on third and the winning run on second with two outs.An infield ground ball out ended the game and season for the Bison.Good showing,but not enough to stay alive in the "loser goes home" and the winner stays alive game for both teams.Good effort by the Bison.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                    Another tough 2-1 loss to UNLV and the seasons over for the Bison.They had the tying run on third and the winning run on second with two outs.An infield ground ball out ended the game and season for the Bison.Good showing,but not enough to stay alive in the "loser goes home" and the winner stays alive game for both teams.Good effort by the Bison.
                    Without indoor facilities and considering the long winters, its going to be tough for a team from the Dakotas to advance to round two. Some times by the end of May, the teams hit a stride, but not this year. Great effort by the Bison. There was a great story in the Fargo Forum about their pitcher Dave Ernst who was drafted by the Chicago Cubs in the 47th round just out of high school in Fargo. He waived that draft choice to play for the Bison. It turned out to be a better choice as anyone beyond the 10th round ends up in the minors, and one bad performance in the minors, there is a good chance you will end up released and without a contract. Also you lose your amauter status. So Ernst made a good choice it appears and has one more year to compete.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                      Without indoor facilities and considering the long winters, its going to be tough for a team from the Dakotas to advance to round two. Some times by the end of May, the teams hit a stride, but not this year. Great effort by the Bison. There was a great story in the Fargo Forum about their pitcher Dave Ernst who was drafted by the Chicago Cubs in the 47th round just out of high school in Fargo. He waived that draft choice to play for the Bison. It turned out to be a better choice as anyone beyond the 10th round ends up in the minors, and one bad performance in the minors, there is a good chance you will end up released and without a contract. Also you lose your amauter status. So Ernst made a good choice it appears and has one more year to compete.
                      Just heard yesterday that the Summit League baseball coaches voted 6-0 to hold the next three Summit League baseball tournaments in Sioux Falls regardless of who wins the regular season. I assume that Oral Roberts had a vote in this as they will be part of the tournament next year. SF / SDSU has hosted the tournament twice and twice have set attendance records. Money and people in the seats always speaks loudly.

Good year for the Jacks. Find someone to hit the ball and we can be pretty good the next couple of years. Our current pitching staff along with transfers and recruits will keep us in most ball games.

GBGBGJ

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                        The Bison ran into the same thing we did last year, a pitching staff that is worthy of advancing but now offensive firepower.

Comment

Working...
                        X