Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sanford Arena?

Blank
    Last edited by i_got_a_fever; 03-14-2016, 08:42 PM.

Re: Sanford Arena?

Originally posted by i_got_a_fever View Post
    Why are all the ndsu fans calling the renovated BSA Sanford Arena? I never heard anything about Sanford actually giving money to ndsu. Please clarify.
    I do not recall who, but someone on here said an announcement was soon in coming.

I noticed in Fargo and surrounding communities, the Merit Care facilities have yet to put up Sanford logos or any suggestion that a merger supposely occured, they are still all Maroon and white. I don't see any quick movement on that part of the merger so for those eager Bison fans to expect Sanford money may take some time.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
      I do not recall who, but someone on here said an announcement was soon in coming.

I noticed in Fargo and surrounding communities, the Merit Care facilities have yet to put up Sanford logos or any suggestion that a merger supposely occured, they are still all Maroon and white. I don't see any quick movement on that part of the merger so for those eager Bison fans to expect Sanford money may take some time.
      Sanford and Meritcare have merged to become Sanford-Meritcare.

Comment

the building signs have not yet changed, but every advertisement, sponsorship logo etc... are all Sanford/Meritcare. they have been in talks with NDSU about a the BSA renovation and yes an announcement is expected by the end of July. Sanford is also giving money to th UP Center and NDSU has switched their team doctors from Innovis to Meritcare, which leads alot to believe Sanford will give towards the renovation
        BISON FOOTBALL

Comment

Some news on the name today and also a planned new Hospital

Also
          , beginning in July, Sanford Health-MeritCare will switch to a “unified brand,” but the name is not yet available for public release, MeritCare spokesman Darren Huber said.
          http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/280947/
          BISON FOOTBALL

Comment

It will happen. Sanford (the hospital) and Sanford (the money) want to make a strong contribution in Fargo to cement the relationship in the merger.

Comment

Info on what Sanford is building in Fargo. The link is from TV's twitter page.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article...50/group/News/

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbit74 View Post
                Info on what Sanford is building in Fargo. The link is from TV's twitter page.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article...50/group/News/
                This is a totally seperate project from the Bison Sports Arena renovation. Many believe that Sanford will have a large hand in that project, too. The ND State Board of Higher Education gave their approval to the BSA project on June 25. Legislative approval is still needed. The project will be funded entirely with private funds. Although only about $8.5 million of the needed $34 million is "officially" in hand, Dick Hanson, while serving as NDSU Interim President was quoted a couple of months ago as saying that about $29 million had been raised. Announcements are anticipate before the end of July.

The documents submitted by NDSU to the SBOHE on the BSA renovation and indoor track projects are here (see pages 157-161):
                http://www.ndus.edu/uploads%5Cdocume...-MATERIALS.PDF

There are 3 phases for BSA renovation plus a single stage for new construction of an indoor track facility.

Administrative/Basketball Practice Facility Phase ($13.2 million): Basketball Practice Court Addition, Men's and Women's Basketball Complex (team meeting rooms and video centers, individual player locker areas), New Complex Entry and Ticket Office, Bison Hall of Fame, Athletic Staff Offices.

Student-Athlete Well Being Phase ($10.3 million):
                Student-Athlete Academic Center (individual and group study areas, computer laboratories, tutoring staff offices), Student-Athlete Commons Area, Strength Training Facilities, Sports Medicine Center, Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation Center, Individual Locker and Meeting Rooms (baseball, men's and women's track and field/cross country, men's and women's golf, soccer, softball, wrestling).

Competition Phase ($5.6 million):
                Basketball Competition Arena (suites, approximately seating for 5,700, club level meeting space, enhanced concessions and vendor area, state of the art technology).

Indoor Track Competition Facility ($5 million):
                200 meter eight lane competition track, men's and women's track locker and meeting rooms, baseball and softball batting cages, indoor golf practice facility, spectator seating.

Comment

The announcement of the "name" will come in July. It won't be anything special but it will be public and official.
                  Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

It has already been announced that the name will be Sanford Health, but not officially until July. Quite frankly, I don't think there was much of a chance that it would have been anything but that, however the Sanford-Merit tag was useful during the lead up to the transition.

The latest announcement on building in Fargo is more in line with the announcement of the new hospital and then the joint venture with the Y on the fitness center. This is similar in strategic positioning as the facility that is located by the USF complex. It will be very beneficial in the plan to move forward as research organization. Some people (not saying any previous posters) believe that Sanford is expanding research only in the type 2 diabetes area, which is not true. Research is expanding in many, many areas, but the T2D is a special focus.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
                      Some people (not saying any previous posters) believe that Sanford is expanding research only in the type 2 diabetes area, which is not true. Research is expanding in many, many areas, but the T2D is a special focus.
                      Since I have first-hand knowledge, yes Sanford is expanding its research in key areas besides just Type II Diabetes.

Comment

I was just reading this thread and realized someone not living in Fargo or following the situation closely might get easily confused with all the different projects and proposed projects going on. None of the following is new information; I'm just going to try and break it down to eliminate possible confusion.

Definitely going to happen:
                        - $12 million fitness center near the Urban Plains hockey arena in south Fargo. $6 million from Sanford Health and $6 million from the FM YMCA.
                        - approx $2.5 million athletic center near Urban Plains(but separate from the above) modeled after the new one Sanford Health built in Sioux Falls.
                        - Sanford Health will be the new medical provider for NDSU athletics.

Almost certainly going to happen:
                        - $250-350 million major hospital in south Fargo just north of Urban Plains. This hospital will become the primary facility in Fargo, and much of the current primary hospital will be given over to the cancer and heart centers. Meetings with doctors and staff will take place over the next two years, with the start of construction planned around 2013 and completion around 2016.

Likely to happen:
                        - $34.1 million BSA renovation/addition plus new indoor track facility. Read Kermit's post on the previous page for the full breakdown. With the current hints given by Hanson and the local media, it appears Sanford(unknown if Denny or Health) will be donating about $20 million to the project. An announcement is expected by the end of July.

Unlikely to happen:
                        - A major aquatics facility next to the Urban Plains Center. A group has been trying to get this project off the ground for a couple years and was hoping for significant financial help from Sanford Health. With everything else they have on their plate, it doesn't look like Sanford Health is interested in this one. I'm kind of sad about that since this looked like the best chance for NDSU to bring back its swimming & diving program someday(the current pool is being removed as part of the BSA reno).

Here are a couple photos of the area. The first gives you a sense of where Urban Plains is in relation to NDSU and the city. The second is a look at where the projects are happening within the Urban Plains development. The satillite photo is about two or three years old, and that part of the city has developed very quickly, so there's a lot less grass and farmland today than what the photo shows.

Last edited by Hammersmith; 06-29-2010, 03:47 PM. Reason: added photos

Comment

This just in the sports teams at NDSU will now be known as the Sanford Bison or perferably just the Sanfords. Good for the Fargo and NDSU, maybe.

It seems Bison fans have always been quick to be critical of large donations from an individual to a school to their north. I was not in favor of changing the name of our medical school but it happened just the same. I can't say anything too bad has occurred as a consequence.
                          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                            This just in the sports teams at NDSU will now be known as the Sanford Bison or perferably just the Sanfords. Good for the Fargo and NDSU, maybe.
                            I will just tell you, NDSU athletics will be greatly impacted from the integrated Sanford Sports Medicine Programs.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                              I will just tell you, NDSU athletics will be greatly impacted from the integrated Sanford Sports Medicine Programs.
                              I know that they will and I must admit I am envious.
                              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
                              X