Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sanford Arena?

Originally posted by tjbison View Post
    Lets not forget that there is the Denny Sanford, and Sanford Health. I'm not sure but I think this is a private donation from Denny himself and not coming directly from the Health system of Meritcare/Sanford. Like I said I'm not sure but I thought thats what I had heard
    It is a donation from Sanford Health.
    http://south.sanfordhealth.org/newsr....cfm?id=0,1751

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
      It is a donation from Sanford Health.
      http://south.sanfordhealth.org/newsr....cfm?id=0,1751
      Sanford Health Foundation, no doubt a private foundation by IRS definition which means there are few or one donor, Dennis Sanford. I dont think Sioux Valley Hospital or Merit Care Hospital precessors to Sanford Health were sitting on 10 million bucks to be given to refurbish a basketball arena.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
        Actually, Goon, keep in mind Sanford "merged" (swallowed?) a significant player in Fargo that had been there a long, long time. Only guessing but it's possible all the money was on the MeritCare side of the ledger -- ND money.
        South money... the donation would not have happened without both funds and the decision making from the south. I just wish South Dakota State were affiliated with Sanford instead of Avera. Don't get me wrong Avera is a great organization, but does not have the potential to benefit the school that a partnership with Sanford would. Hopefully Chicoine can see the benefit the school would get from this. Sanford-Coughlin Alumni Stadium in 5-10 years anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by launcher46 View Post
          South money... the donation would not have happened without both funds and the decision making from the south. I just wish South Dakota State were affiliated with Sanford instead of Avera. Don't get me wrong Avera is a great organization, but does not have the potential to benefit the school that a partnership with Sanford would. Hopefully Chicoine can see the benefit the school would get from this. Sanford-Coughlin Alumni Stadium in 5-10 years anyone?
          Are you kidding??? Avera just contributed to one of THE premier research buildindings in the upper midwest. If you haven't stopped to look at the Avera Health and Sciences Center you really should. The building in its entirety cost $51 million with a large chunk of that coming from Avera with the other chunk coming from student HEF funding. Chicoine is focused on RESEARCH that is why we are partnered with Avera and why Avera gave money to invest in this building and the PEOPLE that are using it. To say that there is no benefit to having this partnership is short sighted imho.
          Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

I think the real sentiment here was that Sanford has deeper pockets....

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
              I think the real sentiment here was that Sanford has deeper pockets....
              How about simply different priorities?

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                How so?

Comment

Could be, but that is not what I was reading between the lines. I guess only the poster(s) know their real sentiment regarding that issue. carry on.

I think both donations (Avera's and Sanford's) are quite generous and will be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                    Sanford Health Foundation, no doubt a private foundation by IRS definition which means there are few or one donor, Dennis Sanford. I dont think Sioux Valley Hospital or Merit Care Hospital precessors to Sanford Health were sitting on 10 million bucks to be given to refurbish a basketball arena.
                    I'd bet Sanford through a foundation, is sitting on 10 million to be given to refurbish a bb arena. Many big health-care systems have lots of cash.

I agree with other posters about the priorities health-care systems may have for their money. Maybe targets or focus would be more descriptive than "priority". Sanford has contributed to several facilities that have a direct connection to athletics (I believe USF's field in Sioux Falls is one). Avera's donation which made SDSU's new science building a reality, impacts all students at SDSU and that includes our athletes who now can schedule labs and classes at times that "fit" practice schedules -- that was getting very tough in recent years in the old building (and it had become difficult for students who wanted certain degrees to participate in certain sports).

The old Merit-Care, now Sanford, is the big hitter in Fargo. They must have determined it's an investment that will benefit not only NDSU and Fargo but also Sanford. Another form of advertising.

Comment

I'd bet Sanford through a foundation, is sitting on 10 million to be given to refurbish a bb arena. Many big health-care systems have lots of cash.

I agree with other posters about the priorities health-care systems may have for their money. Maybe targets or focus would be more descriptive than "priority". Sanford has contributed to several facilities that have a direct connection to athletics (I believe USF's field in Sioux Falls is one). Avera's donation which made SDSU's new science building a reality, impacts all students at SDSU and that includes our athletes who now can schedule labs and classes at times that "fit" practice schedules -- that was getting very tough in recent years in the old building (and it had become difficult for students who wanted certain degrees to participate in certain sports).

The old Merit-Care, now Sanford, is the big hitter in Fargo. They must have determined it's an investment that will benefit not only NDSU and Fargo but also Sanford. Another form of advertising.
                      I don't doubt what you are saying, and if it came from Merit Care, it only shows how they make their money, like charging you 10 bucks for aspirins and etc. When you examine in detail a hospital bill, you find all these little things add up to big bucks. If so its good for Fargo and NDSU and cements trust in the local health care provider then so be it. I honestly thought that Denny Sanford had dumped 10 million into the Sanford Health Foundation, but I could be very wrong on that. I would love to be Denny's accountant, on second thought, no I would not. I am not planning on having major stroke any time soon.

Comment

Maybe Target or focus are better words than priorities, but clearly all you have to do is look at how each institution spends their discretionary money to see where their target,focus and priorities are. Sanford has always been more athletic focused with Kelby at the helm. IMHO whoever wants to have their name on the football stadium is fine with me as their is not a venue in the state which puts more people in the seats than Coughlin and thus good exposure.

Comment

Maybe Target or focus are better words than priorities, but clearly all you have to do is look at how each institution spends their discretionary money to see where their target,focus and priorities are. Sanford has always been more athletic focused with Kelby at the helm.
                          I will agree with you, but also with the focus on athletics comes athletic health research. Just this week I have 3 research studies being conducted with athletes with respect to athletic health and injury prevention.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                            I will agree with you, but also with the focus on athletics comes athletic health research. Just this week I have 3 research studies being conducted with athletes with respect to athletic health and injury prevention.
                            Maybe this will become a bidding war between the "non profits" and or other companies.

Comment

Just for the record, Sanford is also partnering up with our R&T Park for a biotech research facility. They're initially investing a little over $600k, but will be ramping up to $8 million a year by 2015. The initial outlay is so small because it's a brand new building that has been sitting vacent for about a year due to Alien Tech pulling out(they made and developed RFID tags). I only bring this up because of the comments about Sanford supporting athletics at NDSU instead of academics.

Comment

That doesn't seem to be comparable to the Avera gift.

Comment

Working...
                                X