Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USD is in.

From the horses mouth yesterday:

The University of South Dakota will hold a press conference at 2 p.m. this afternoon in Vermillion to announce its athletic programs will join the 10-school Summit League beginning in 2011

On Tuesday, the league’s Presidents Council voted unanimously to invite the school into the conference beginning July 1, 2011, according to an email sent to Summit League member schools. USD will not compete in team tournaments that season, the last that the Coyotes are ineligible for NCAA postseason competitions.

In 2012-13 USD will be an active member of NCAA Division I and will participate in Summit League tournaments.

USD announced it would lift its athletic programs from NCAA Division II to Division I in 2006 and is now competing as a Division I independent.

Inclusion in the league would mean USD and South Dakota State , a member of the Summit League, would resume head-to-head competitions in sports other than football by the fall of 2011. The in-state rivals have not competed against each other in most sports since SDSU left Division II after the 2003-04 season.

Cara Jones '07

Annual Giving Officer, University of South Dakota Foundation

PO Box 5555

Vermillion, SD 57069

Phone:605-624-5711
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
      I'm willing to put a lot of money on the fact that even if the vote was 8-2 (or something else) the Summit League is going to come out and say it was unanimous. It wouldn't be a good way to accept a school into the conference by saying "there are a few schools who don't want you, but we are going to take you anyways." I could be wrong but...
      Yeah, I bet you are right. I am sure that Commissioner Douple would lie to the public about the vote if it wasn't unanimous. That would be good for public relations and the Commissioner's credibility.

Comment

Originally posted by rcjacks View Post
        Yeah, I bet you are right. I am sure that Commissioner Douple would lie to the public about the vote if it wasn't unanimous. That would be good for public relations and the Commissioner's credibility.
        Not that it matters, someone may have made a motion to accept USD, had that seconded, voted with some being opposed. There might have been further discussion, a second motion made and that met with an all-in-favor vote. Again, it doesn't matter one bit either way.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

I did not post the link to today's Argus and their feature on USD getting in but what is of interest to me is the layout of the article. The article starts out talking about the resumption of the SDSU-USD rivalry as though it was priority no 1. Finally Mick Garry gets around to talking about the uncertainty of scheduling. I am a long ways from being a Journalist, but it seems to me that conference membership is about scheduling and the big dance revenue and these are more important than the opportunity to throw frozen dead rabbits at Frost Arena. Sure the rivalry is important, but finding a conference is really a bigger deal in my mind. Seems like the layout should have made that more clear.
          Could there be some editing work by Stuage Whitney here?

quotefrom the argus:Uncertainty regarding conference affiliation has been a part of the transition process since the school announced in 2006 - with no future conference membership in sight - that it would be leaving Division II as well as the soon-to-disband North Central Conference, where USD had been a member since the 1920s.

Comment

Here is Terry's story, it may still be a few years until we see USD. If we do play them before 2011 sounds like we will pay USD to come to Brookings:

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...32/1002/sports

Rivalry could resume before 2011

But hurdles stand in way of getting game before Summit play

Terry Vandrovec • tvandrovec@argusleader.com • April 16, 2009

The rivalry will resume.

Wednesday's announcement that the University of South Dakota will follow South Dakota State into the Summit League beginning in 2011-12 assures as much.

But assuming that the two will get together on a regular basis before that - particularly in basketball - might be assuming too much. Both schools are all but done scheduling in hoops for 2009-10 and have many non-conference dates booked for 2010-11. . . . (read more)

Go State!

Comment

Only reason USD is in already is the Summit League is worried about Centenary leaving the conference and moving down.

But I'm sorry to say I do have to agree with Lakes on one of his comments. I am not looking forward to going to Vermillion to watch a BB game. The reason is the Dome is a dump to watch a BB game, if you are a visiting fan. I hope USD had to promise a real BB facility to the Summit League to be accepted. I refuse to watch a BB game in the Dome ever again.
              Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Originally posted by bub94 View Post
                Only reason USD is in already is the Summit League is worried about Centenary leaving the conference and moving down.

But I'm sorry to say I do have to agree with Lakes on one of his comments. I am not looking forward to going to Vermillion to watch a BB game. The reason is the Dome is a dump to watch a BB game, if you are a visiting fan. I hope USD had to promise a real BB facility to the Summit League to be accepted. I refuse to watch a BB game in the Dome ever again.
                I am going to lamblasted for saying this, but USD is a great addition to The Summit. Their basketball teams are competitive, it is a conference game for us that is only a 2 hour drive, and the renewed rivalry will be fun. I went to college in the Big Twelve, and I can honestly say, that the SDSU/USD games were more fun than any Big Twelve conference game I have been to.

The Dakota Dome is obviously not Frost Arena, but just be glad that it isn't our basketball arena.

Comment

I'm not looking foward to watching basketball at the Dakotadome (it is a dump and terrible for fans), but you have to admit it is better than listening to another road game on the radio. I would much rather have the opportunity to watch another SDSU game in person versus playing that game 1000 miles away from Brookings against Centenary, Houston Baptist, or Chicago St.
                  "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
                    I'm not looking foward to watching basketball at the Dakotadome (it is a dump and terrible for fans), but you have to admit it is better than listening to another road game on the radio. I would much rather have the opportunity to watch another SDSU game in person versus playing that game 1000 miles away from Brookings against Centenary, Houston Baptist, or Chicago St.
                    Sorry, I'm listening to this one on the radio. That's closer than the seats at the dome for visitor fans.
                    Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

• Re: USD is in.

What was the reason why NDSU and SDSU were invited? Give me a break. USD is a great addition to the Summit, and is a no different addition than SDSU was a few years back.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
                        I won't go to the Dome again for a basketball game. That place is terrible for basketball(unless your down by the court). It's O.K. for football but that's it. When they build a arena to play basketball, I'll like the drive to watch the games. I don't care if the dome was in S.F., I still would go.
                        USD is a good addition to the Summit. They aren't as good as SDSU or NDSU but they are better than some of the schools. They won't stabilize the Summit for several years. When they do that and build an arena, they will be a better addition. I don't think the Summit League will allow the crap to happen that USD used to do. SDSU isn't perfect but when you compare the 2, they are angles.

Comment

What was the reason why NDSU and SDSU were invited? Give me a break. USD is a great addition to the Summit, and is a no different addition than SDSU was a few years back.
                          I don't agree with that. There are definite differences the main one being our decision to move up to the DI ranks versus USD's need move up to DI. How quickly some forget. The administration at USD and UND were committed to remaining DII just 5 short years ago. Nothing happened in the last 5 years that we didn't know was going to happen when we decided to make a logical move up. We had (and I hope still have) leaders with vision who made the move to DI successful. USD moves up, joins a conference we created and then gets accepted into the Summit on our coattails. That is just one major difference.

USD's athletic programs are in transition to DI during the most difficult of financial times. Their facilities, as a whole, are not at the level they need to be and right now all they have are some plans to improve them. USD may turn out to be a great addition to the Summit League but we don't know that for sure right now.

Comment

I'm not saying they aren't a good fit for the Summit. I'm just saying the fast decision to accept them is because Centenary might be leaving. It took SDSU and NDSU a few years to find a conference. If there wasn't a possibility of Cent. leaving the Summit League, USD might have had to wait until they had a better facility for BB.
                            Last edited by bub94; 04-16-2009, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                              and there students are too cracked out to comprehend what it means....
                              well played both of you.

Back to the point. Udot was going to get in, what other options were there? Not many. I know I enjoyed our time away from playing them however when the games return the the court I for one will be there giddy and happy to have some excitement return the the area. We are a few years ahead of them in all aspects, they think they will be catching us soon but lets look at that. They only were good in basketball because they could bring in D-1 guys who wanted more PT or what ever reason to play, now they are not going to be getting those recruits anymore, how do they expect many high school kids to tour the dump and be excited that most games they are lucking to get 1000 fans when they can go to programs with nicer facilities and better crowds and many other things that affect athletes choices.. Krogman is the exception to the rule, They are not fulling appceaiting womens sports which if they would have done it right they would have been able to have a strong program and volleyball, take that sucsess and build it up even faster keep that momentum going. However they decided to forget about womens sports to try to make up the difference for football so they can get their pay day. I for one would be disapointed if thats the direction my school took. imagine if we did that appraoach, our womens team might not have been able to do what they did this year and I would not trade that for anything.

Hopefully they can get those things straigthen out in the next few years. otherwise the only teams to even have sucsess their are the womens teams, will be then struggling to catch up. It is what it is, and we have no reason to doubt we are going to be continuing to dominate them in all aspects again. RO will point to a few basketball games the last few years they played for the men but have little else to back anything up. Where we sit, I like our chances.
                              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I'm not saying they aren't a good fit for the Summit. I'm just saying the fast decision to accept them is because Centenary might be leaving. It took SDSU and NDSU a few years to find a conference. If there wasn't a threat of Cent. leaving the Summit League, USD might have had to wait until they had a better facility for BB.
                                Where's your source? You've posited a 'threat' of Centenary leaving 3 times now, where's the proof?

Comment

Working...
                                X