Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USD is in.

Originally posted by mitchell View Post
    During the press conference Commissioner Douple said that 6 other teams applied for membership into the Summit. He wouldn't name the schools because he said some of the schools were currently in conferences. Any speculation to who the other schools were?

He did say UND submitted an invite but that they won't even take it seriously until they figure out the logo.
    6 others?

ummmm.... I'd go with
    Utah Valley State or whatever they are called today
    UND
    Chicago State University
    Eastern Illinois
    I still think Denver wants in....
    maybe a NJIT?

Comment

Is USD going to have to get baseball?

Comment

If their football team is bussing to the Carolinas to play a game, I don't think there is enough money in their bucket to field a baseball team.

Comment

*smack deleted - filbert*
          Last edited by filbert; 04-15-2009, 07:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lakesbison View Post
            NOVAJACK.

have fun thinking small time. congrats. you got it now!
            If you are the arbiter of what is big time and what isn't, Lakes, heaven help us all. Fargo may be in the middle of a continent but it ain't the center of the world.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
              why do they want odd numbers? that just doesn't make sense.... unless they have a team to join before then I think its a mistake....
              Big 10 has 11 members. That's working pretty well.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell View Post
                During the press conference Commissioner Douple said that 6 other teams applied for membership into the Summit. He wouldn't name the schools because he said some of the schools were currently in conferences. Any speculation to who the other schools were?

He did say UND submitted an invite but that they won't even take it seriously until they figure out the logo.
                99.9% certain
                UND
                Chicago State
                Utah Valley
                Houston Baptist
                Texas-Pan American

Pick one(don't know which)
                NJIT (>50%)
                Denver (<25%)
                Seattle (<10%)
                New Orleans (<10%)
                someone else

On a side note, take the unanimous vote with a big grain of salt. In situations like this, conferences want to give the appearance of everyone being on the same page. What probably happened was one or more informal votes(i.e. off the record) to see where everyone stood and whether USD had enough votes to get in. After all the discussion was over and it was clear USD had the votes, any dissenters would've been asked to vote with the majority for the sake of unity. Now, it's quite possible USD actually did get a unanimous vote during the informal voting, but we can't tell that from the press releases and interviews.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                  The Big Ten schools have deeper pockets and don't have to rely on travel partners when scheduling conference road games. In an 11 team Summit League somebody will be the odd man out, it would make for some interesting scheduling/travel. I think the Summit will add somebody, or somebody will be moving on to get to even numbers by 2011.

Comment

Originally posted by 90Jackrabbit View Post
                    The Big Ten schools have deeper pockets and don't have to rely on travel partners when scheduling conference road games. In an 11 team Summit League somebody will be the odd man out, it would make for some interesting scheduling/travel. I think the Summit will add somebody, or somebody will be moving on to get to even numbers by 2011.

Point taken, but if maximum road game scheduling efficiency were the goal, Summit wouldn't have gone to 10 with SDSU and NDSU, thereby eliminating those pesky rotating one-game weekends for the travel partners that exist right now. Granted, an 11 team league isn't as good as 10 for travel partnering, but 10 isn't as good as eight, either.

Big 10 basketball doesn't home and home all 10 opponents each year and in that respect, it makes travel partnering less relevant. Why can't Summit do the same, having teams partnering home and home with 6-8 teams closest to them and schedule single games with remaining 2-4 teams furthest away? THAT might cut travel costs more than the current system, keep the bigger conference membership, and allow teams to have more robust out of conference schedules.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammersmith View Post
                      On a side note, take the unanimous vote with a big grain of salt. In situations like this, conferences want to give the appearance of everyone being on the same page. What probably happened was one or more informal votes(i.e. off the record) to see where everyone stood and whether USD had enough votes to get in. After all the discussion was over and it was clear USD had the votes, any dissenters would've been asked to vote with the majority for the sake of unity. Now, it's quite possible USD actually did get a unanimous vote during the informal voting, but we can't tell that from the press releases and interviews.
                      Thank you!

Comment

I really don't know why anyone on SDSUFANS.com or BISONVILLE.com is happy about this.

we just put ourselves RIGHT back to 2002-2003 with this decision.

embarassing. we do all the work and THEY are caught up with us now.

WAY TO GO PEOPLE. WAY TO GO.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                          A couple of points: 1) Take the 11 with a grain of salt folks...you know that the Summit is "waiting" for UND to get their act together. In fact, I pointed out earlier that I believe USD's visit and acceptance was intended to spur them on. They've also got the "other" teams noted as applying. I would take any bet right now that it will be a 12-team league when 2011 rolls around.

2) I think the league will look very closely at an east-west division instead of north-south (i.e., 4 in the Dakotas, Kansas City and Southern Utah) although I'll concede they can go the other way...but I think it will definitely be two divisions.

3) USD's admission in 2011 (not eligible for Summit League tournament action until 2012-2013) will have nothing to do with the Summit League site bid now being considered for the 2011-2012 conference tournaments...so forget the "impact" of more tickets etc. (unless of course they want to come watch the Jacks). Will the league consider it in a 2013-2014 bid several years away (making it 6 years in a row in Sioux Falls)...I'm not sure...maybe...but I would also expect they may want to rotate somewhere else at that point.

Comment

we do all the work and THEY are caught up with us now.
                            NDSU's WBB program is in the same conference as SDSU's and they still haven't caught up with the Rabbits.

Not to mention, the U ain't in the Summit for another 2 years.

Comment

The point is unless there was an underlying reason (money, or a member seriously considering leaving the conference) I really don't know why they moved now..... The school just announced budget cuts, they still don't have a basketball/volleyball facility... they don't have baseball which is like the number 2 sport in the conference.... plus they aren't a counter..... and then just to add they made fun of us 6 years ago for going D-I.....And we are helping them out.....

Comment

I really don't know why anyone on SDSUFANS.com or BISONVILLE.com is happy about this.

we just put ourselves RIGHT back to 2002-2003 with this decision.

embarassing. we do all the work and THEY are caught up with us now.

WAY TO GO PEOPLE. WAY TO GO.
                                Let me try and understand this.

First of all you say "we" as in you or anyone else on here had any effect on the decision.

Secondly, in 2002-2003 NDSU and SDSU were in Division II. Are you trying to say that by adding USD to the Summit League, that puts SDSU and NDSU......back in Division II?

Third: NDSU and SDSU were not the first two teams in the history of everything to move up divisions. It has happened before, believe it or not. I'm sure the State schools being in the Summit helped USD's inclusion, but to say that "we do all the work" is simply not true.

Lastly you say "WAY TO GO PEOPLE. WAY TO GO" as if, once again, you or anyone else here had ANY effect on it.

It's done. Accept it.
                                Originally posted by JackFan96
                                Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Working...
                                X