Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USD is in.

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
    If this happens...this is the time SDSU and NDSU take a SERIOUS look at FBS Football.

We've "moved up" and "moved out" once before, I don't see any reason why we can't do it again....there's no doubt it's in NDSU's long range plans.

Go Jacks!!
    Maybe after SDSU averages 15,000 a game (the minimum for FBS) it might be on the table, and after the moratorium ends on FCS-FBS reclassifications.

Strong emphasis on the "might".
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by JamesJacks View Post
      One of the reasons I worry about this is scheduling for our basketball teams. This now means we will have 2 less nonconference games. How can our women's team boost their RPI with two more Summit League games? Maybe some of the other posters are correct in that someone will drop out of the league.
      Well if we go to a North/South or East/West rotation in conference games, we will only have to play Centenary once a year as opposed to twice a year. That in itself will increase SDSU's RPI. Add in the fact that USD will probably be a mid-level conference team by the time they play, I don't think this will hurt SDSU's RPI.

Also if they add UND in the next few years, that will also increase the RPI of the conference.

Right now with a 10 team conference, we play 18 conference games. If we have a 12 team, North/South division conference, we would have 16 conference games. That would give us 2 additional non-conference games.
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
        We knew that this decision was only a matter of timing. The only scary part is that there are now 5 FCS football playing Summit teams. If the Summit picks up the expected 6th member (UND) will there be a drive to have a Summit football conference, and will NDSU/ SDSU/ WIU be required to join?
        I can't imagine that happening. IIRC correctly, at that point the 3 MVC FB schools would be counters for the BB autobid. As a block, they would have the ability to put the Summit League in a very precarious position. I can't imagine that the Summit League would ever do that. It is a BB league first and foremost, and why would the 6 non-FB schools (halve the conference) want to risk it. Who knows though, I was surprised by the timing of this, thought for sure it would be at the June meeting at the earliest.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Well, I wondered when I'd be in the DakotaDome for a sporting event again. I'd say there are good odds I'll attend the UC-Davis game on D-days and now I know for sure I'll be there for at least a couple of basketball games in 2011-2012, maybe more.

Big news for USD and for fans of college athletics in South Dakota.

Just spoke to me brother, he saw Meierkort at O'hare in Chicago today. Said he was headed to Nashville. What's happening in Nashville?
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
            I think we can do without the smack on this thread.
            I cleaned it up. Sometimes it just goes off.

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
            MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
              Well, I wondered when I'd be in the DakotaDome for a sporting event again. I'd say there are good odds I'll attend the UC-Davis game on D-days and now I know for sure I'll be there for at least a couple of basketball games in 2011-2012, maybe more.

Big news for USD and for fans of college athletics in South Dakota.

Just spoke to me brother, he saw Meierkort at O'hare in Chicago today. Said he was headed to Nashville. What's happening in Nashville?
              Cant say other than the Grand Old Opry, who knows. My congratulations to USD on gaining membership in the Summit. Its a win-win for SDSU. We should not worry about the defeats on the field anymore than worrying about gloating about the wins over USD. I am hoping Chicoine and Abbott will be working together in changing the state law in order to allow multi year contracts and to make all other necessary changes of D1 athletics that are in conflict with SD law. I think they can work together and I think they have. If the vote was 10 to zip, then we have no doubts about President Chicoine's vote.

Comment

Welcome aboard, USD.
                Lots of winners:
                - Yotes get a quality conference early in transition.
                - Rivarly. Big win for Jacks AND Yotes there.
                - South Dakota sports fans get more home-state D-1 contests, and SoDak joins Indiana as multiple-school Summit state. Center of gravity in Summit has definitely moved west in the last few years.
                This is win-win-win.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                  - Rivarly. Big win for Jacks AND Yotes there.
                  It'll mostly be wins for USD, however.
                  Originally posted by JackFan96
                  Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post
                    It'll mostly be wins for USD, however.
                    Well, so much for trying to be congratulatory and complimentary on your big day.
                    RO, meet Pavlov.

Comment

Im just beyond words today.

seriously jackrabbit fans.

WHY DO WE (NDSU/SDSU) want USD/UND in?? its like 2001, and NONE OF OUR WORK THE LAST 6-7 years are for not!!!

PLUS, now this might allow UND to get in.. CRIPES!!!!!!!!!!!!
                      \
                      \\
                      welcome back to the NCC... ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzz

Comment

Originally posted by Lakesbison View Post
                        Im just beyond words today.

seriously jackrabbit fans.

WHY DO WE (NDSU/SDSU) want USD/UND in?? its like 2001, and NONE OF OUR WORK THE LAST 6-7 years are for not!!!

PLUS, now this might allow UND to get in.. CRIPES!!!!!!!!!!!!

Think you meant all the work the last 6-7 years is for naught.
                        And bring UND on. In a few years, the transition will fade away and four regional D-1 rivalry schools will exist within shouting distance of one another. Someone always has to go first.

Comment

The official Summit League press release.........

University of South Dakota accepts invitation to join Summit League

ELMHURST, IL - The University of South Dakota (USD) has accepted an invitation to become a member of The Summit League, Commissioner Tom Douple announced today at a press conference on the USD campus in Vermillion, South Dakota. USD will begin league competition during the 2011-12 academic year and will have full eligibility for all regular season and tournament championships in 2012-13.

"We are extremely pleased to add The University of South Dakota to our league membership," said Douple. "The academic profile of the university and its history of athletic successes are both outstanding qualities and will provide an excellent fit with our league."

The Summit League Presidents Council voted unanimously on April 14 to extend an invitation for membership to the University of South Dakota, which formally accepted the invitation at today's press conference. USD's membership will take effect on July 1, 2011.

In its first year (2011-12) in The Summit League, South Dakota will be eligible to compete for championships in men's and women's cross country, men's and women's indoor track and field, men's and women's swimming and diving, men's and women's outdoor track and field, and men's and women's golf. USD will be ineligible to represent the League in NCAA Regional competition during the 2011-12 academic year, its final year of transition to Division I.

USD will be eligible to compete during the 2011-12 regular season in women's soccer, volleyball, men's and women's basketball, softball and women's tennis, but will be ineligible to qualify for league championship tournaments.

In 2012-13, South Dakota will be eligible for all regular season and tournament championships when approved by the NCAA for Division I active membership.

"The University of South Dakota and its strong academic and athletic reputation is an excellent addition to The Summit League," said Southern Utah University President Dr. Michael Benson. "It is an institution that continues to make tremendous strides and is a natural fit for our league institutionally, athletically, and geographically."

Founded in 1862, The University of South Dakota has an enrollment of 9,261 and offers 113 undergraduate programs, 60 graduate programs and 10 doctoral programs. USD is home to South Dakota's only law and medical schools, college of fine arts, and AACSB accredited school of business and is annually recognized by national publications for its academic excellence, affordability and value.

"Today is a great day to be a Coyote. Athletically and academically The Summit League is a perfect fit for The University of South Dakota," stated USD President James W. Abbott. "The Summit League is one of the premier athletic conferences in the nation and everyone at USD is very pleased our student-athletes will have the opportunity to compete against their counterparts in this great league."

Notable USD alumni include Al Neuharth, founder of USA Today, former NBC News anchor Tom Brokaw, and both of South Dakota's U.S. Senators, Tim Johnson and John Thune.

USD offers seven varsity men's sports (basketball, cross country, football, golf, swimming and diving, and indoor and outdoor track and field) and 10 women's sports (basketball, cross country, golf, soccer, softball, swimming and diving, tennis, indoor and outdoor track and field, and volleyball). USD's nickname is the Coyotes (pronounced Ki-Yotes).

The DakotaDome serves as the cornerstone of the Coyote Athletic Department and is home to five intercollegiate sports, including basketball, football, volleyball, track and field, and swimming and diving. Originally constructed in 1979, the Dome received a new $13 million steel roof in 2001 and additional facility upgrades since.

Over the past 10 years, USD has produced 15 individual National Champions, 290 All-Americans and seven National Players of the Year. In 2007-08, USD's women's basketball team recorded the nation's best GPA, 3.69, and reached the NCAA Division II championship game. USD alumnus and current assistant track and field coach Derek Miles is a two-time Olympic pole vaulter and placed fourth at the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games after winning the U.S. Olympic Trials earlier that summer.

"The University of South Dakota is an outstanding addition to The Summit League," stated Western Illinois University President Dr. Al Goldfarb. "It has a long-standing tradition of athletic and academic achievement and a strong campus-wide financial commitment along with a passionate and loyal base of alumni and boosters."

ABOUT THE SUMMIT LEAGUE
                          Presently in its 27th year as an NCAA Division I athletics conference, The Summit League is in its second year under that name after being known previously as the Mid-Continent Conference. The Summit League's 10 member schools are Centenary College of Louisiana, IPFW (Indiana University-Purdue University Fort Wayne), IUPUI (Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis), UMKC (University of Missouri-Kansas City), North Dakota State University, Oakland University, Oral Roberts University, South Dakota State University, Southern Utah University, and Western Illinois University. The Summit League sponsors 19 championship sports, which include: baseball, men's and women's basketball, men's and women's cross country, men's and women's golf, men's and women's soccer, softball, men's and women's swimming and diving, men's and women's indoor track and field, men's and women's outdoor track and field, men's and women's tennis, and volleyball.

Comment

why do they want odd numbers? that just doesn't make sense.... unless they have a team to join before then I think its a mistake....

Comment

During the press conference Commissioner Douple said that 6 other teams applied for membership into the Summit. He wouldn't name the schools because he said some of the schools were currently in conferences. Any speculation to who the other schools were?

He did say UND submitted an invite but that they won't even take it seriously until they figure out the logo.

Comment

NOVAJACK.

have fun thinking small time. congrats. you got it now!

Comment

Working...
                                X