X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USD is in.

Originally posted by filbert View Post
    hence "already meager."
    And since it's such a minuscule amount, IMO, it shouldn't even be brought up when discussing expansion.

Comment

Link to the Collegian online "Breaking News" (nothing earth-shattering here...just for your info):

LINK

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
        Starting with the 2011-2012 seasons
        I was stating we now know when you will be apart of the league instead of speculating anymore.

Comment

You could be right. I'm sure ORU and Centenary aren't happy with another Dakota school in the conference, but what do they do? You could probably put SUU in that category too, but they should just be happy to have a conference. I wouldn't be upset if Cent and SUU left.
          Another fact is the school presidents vote on these matters, not the ADs and not the coaches.

I expect the presidents--who are paid to have a rather long term approach to matters--realize the long term benefit of having the oldest public university rivalry in their league.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
            And since it's such a minuscule amount, IMO, it shouldn't even be brought up when discussing expansion.
            Whatever, man, that's what I said in my original post. Sorry if you didn't like how I said it.
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
              Whatever, man, that's what I said in my original post. Sorry if you didn't like how I said it.
              Not trying to be argumentative---I'm just saying that if the league was worried about long-term stability, it's not likely that the countering argument was 'but we'll lose $20k or so in tournament money in 5 years!!!' (assuming that USD won't get a full share until 2014).

Comment

I hope I am wrong, but there is alot of sentiment on here that because you went first, you are always going to be "the king".

You have it backwards, we are king, and so we went first. If you want to be king you need to lead.

We have been the leader in South Dakota for a long long time and we didn't get into that position by being timid and not taking chances.

It is harder to lead then it is to follow but that is a choice we make every single day.

Welcome to the Summit League, USD. See what I mean.

Comment

I'm not certain that we feel like we owe you a thank you per say, and I am not saying that disrespectful, but you more than likely have shown us some of the good moves, and probably some of the moves we should avoid. I personally will thank you for that.
                  I'm glad to accept your personal "thank you" on behave of SDSU , but it would be nice for someone like Abbott to come out and give us credit for at least helping USD get into the Summit League at there press conference this afternoon (though I won't keep my fingers crossed). The fact is finding a conference is one of the toughest parts of the transition, and USD would not be in one at this point in the transition had it not been the XDSUs establishing a conference presence within the region. Vermillion isn't nearly as enticing to other Summit League schools if there weren't conference oppenents already located in Brookings and Fargo.
                  If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                  - Steven Wright

Comment

Obviously this is good news for USD, but it sounds like it was a unanimous decision so there are apparently some benefits for SDSU also. Here are a few that I can think of.

1.) The men's home game will probably have about 3,000 more attending than for any other game they could schedule. At $10/ticket that is a $30,000 increase in revenue.

2.) The women's home game you could say the same thing, also a $30,000 increase in revenue.

3.) This will add one more bus trip to the schedule and eliminate one plane trip for all sports, except football. This will probably save the school about $25,000 to $50,000 in expenses for a year. (This is a conservative guess on my part, but the savings could be even more than this).

4.) USD will probably host the Indoor Track and Field, which is a bus trip away.

5.) The Summit League BB tourney will probably stay in Sioux Falls with the addition of USD. The addition of USD will increase the demand for tickets and they can probably add $2/ticket because of this. They probably can increase attendance by 3,000 to 5,000 for the 8 session event. It may also increase the sponsorship money raised for the tourney. I can see this as being a $100K to $200K increase to the conference.

6.) USD probably had to pay to get admission like SDSU and NDSU. SDSU will get some of this money.

7.) This should help out the Swimming and Diving teams in the Summit. Right now we only have 6 teams participating, one of them being Eastern Illinois. If EIU did leave, that would only leave 5 teams. If UND were added later, that would give us 8 teams. That would be nice.

I also wonder about the timeing of this announcement. Originally they stated that they were not going to vote until June. I believe they were also going to get new bids for the BB tourneys at the June meeting and make a decision or at least discuss this issue at these meetings. I'm sure that adding USD has an impact on the Sioux Sports Authorities ability to increase their bid. If USD was not officially added to the league when the bids were submitted, then they could not include the increased attendance, increase in ticket prices and increase in sponsorship with the bid. I'm fairly sure that the Sioux Sports Authority made it clear that if USD was included in the tourney during the period they were bidding, that they could increase their bid. It would be interested in seeing how this effected the timing of the USD announcement.

To me this is a win/win situation in many ways. Even though it is probably a better day to be a Coyote today, it is still a good day once again to be a Jackrabbit.

Go State !!!
                    Go Jacks !!!
                    Go South Dakota !!!
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=)
                    (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

We've all known that this was probably inevitable. It disappoints me but that is just my selfish reasons.

Frankly, it is the right thing for the conference to do. I think Mr. Douple should be commended for looking out for the best interest of all of the Summitt League Schools. He has been very good to SDSU in the few years that we have had associations together. SDSU has no doubt been good for the conference as well.

I hope the renewed rivalry will be much more civil. If that happens then it will be a great thing for SDSU. All of the kids on both sides have hopefully grown up and are more civil now and those kids in school haven't been subjected to the animosity that there used to be.

Now, after all that nice stuff, I still haven't seen much of a plan from USD. There are still very significant challenges ahead for SDSU. USD has many more and has bitten off a big piece to chew. Only time will tell the outcome.

For today, congrats to USD! Like others have said, I remember the day we were accepted into the then Mid-Continent and it was a great day. Their fans are no doubt filled with the same excitement.

Now that they are in, I can't wait for SDSU to officially start whipping the 'Yotes in virtually every sport.

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
                      MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

One of the reasons I worry about this is scheduling for our basketball teams. This now means we will have 2 less nonconference games. How can our women's team boost their RPI with two more Summit League games? Maybe some of the other posters are correct in that someone will drop out of the league.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesJacks View Post
                          One of the reasons I worry about this is scheduling for our basketball teams. This now means we will have 2 less nonconference games. How can our women's team boost their RPI with two more Summit League games? Maybe some of the other posters are correct in that someone will drop out of the league.
                          It makes total sense that USD is a contingency policy for the conference if that would happen. There has been speculation about a couple of the schools either moving on or dropping down for a while. The one thing that has to be protected is the conference's automatic bid status.

My guess is UND will be in very shortly after they get their macot issue resolved.

The conference will become stronger with the addition of two more state schools.

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
                          Last edited by SUPERBUNNY; 04-15-2009, 02:31 PM.
                          MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

We knew that this decision was only a matter of timing. The only scary part is that there are now 5 FCS football playing Summit teams. If the Summit picks up the expected 6th member (UND) will there be a drive to have a Summit football conference, and will NDSU/ SDSU/ WIU be required to join?

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
                              It makes total sense that USD (aka-South Dakopta's red-headed step child) is a contingency policy for the conference if that would happen. There has been speculation about a couple of the schools either moving on or dropping down for a while. The one thing that has to be protected is the conference's automatic bid status.

My guess is UND will be in very shortly after they get their macot issue resolved.

The conference will become stronger with the addition of two more state schools.

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
                              I think we can do without the smack on this thread.
                              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
                                We knew that this decision was only a matter of timing. The only scary part is that there are now 5 FCS football playing Summit teams. If the Summit picks up the expected 6th member (UND) will there be a drive to have a Summit football conference, and will NDSU/ SDSU/ WIU be required to join?

If this happens...this is the time SDSU and NDSU take a SERIOUS look at FBS Football.

We've "moved up" and "moved out" once before, I don't see any reason why we can't do it again....there's no doubt it's in NDSU's long range plans.

Go Jacks!!
                                SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Working...
                                X