Will UND be in the Summit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Will UND be in the Summit?

It just Makes No Sense. If you're so down on the Summit, you shouldn't have gone D-I in the first place.
    Exactly. Pretty much every D2 that moves up is going to, at least start, in a lower conference such as the Summit.

I remember thinking how grateful I was for the Mid-Con and how relieved I was that we finally had a conference. After the Big Sky said "no thanks" I thought we might be screwed. If I had my choice btw Independent and D2 I would take D2 every time.

Comment

I wonder what the Sioux fan who stated that the Summit was "a garbage conference" will think of his school when they (UND) are occupying the cellar of "a garbage conference".

Comment

Sometimes I wonder if UND should just drop all programs expect hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
          I really feel sorry Douple, a guy that just wants to create a Dakota core is going to forever go down as the guy that killed the Fighting Sioux nickname to many in GF.

At every other Dakota school he is the guy that helped seal the deal on something that was seen as a very urgent need. While we sat on the cusp of a Summit invite we waited with nervous anticipation. At UND they sit back and rip the comish at every turn.

http://forum.siouxsports.com/index.p...dpost&p=396034

http://forum.siouxsports.com/index.p...dpost&p=396122

Looking at message boards should help people realize how many misinformed fans are out there. We can rip on ADs and Administrators all we want, but lets just be glad that the majority of schools' fan bases aren't running their respective programs.
          If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
          - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by HoboD View Post
            Dont be misled to think that the rantings of a handful of bloggers represent the bulk of UND supporters. My contacts with folks in Grand Forks and UND have been realistic for along time to the effect that the name is going to have to change, that they were going to go D-1, and that the Summit is the best option for them. In fact, a coach up there told me the sooner they get it done and move on the better and that everyone is tired of the topic. Im guessing most have resigned themselves to the inevitable and are ready to move on and that within a year of the change it will be a forgotten issue. Anyone remember the Stanford Indians?
            I spent some time in GF and what you are saying is very correct. The community is very solid behind their institution just as we are in Brookings and the surrounding community. The big difference is the importance of Hockey.

Yes I remember the Stanford Indians, Sioux Falls College Braves, Huron Scalpers etc, so others have made the same transition. It not that big of a deal. If anything, one alum has had more voice than he should have before he passed on. We all know who I am speaking of.

Comment

Originally posted by HoboD View Post
              Dont be misled to think that the rantings of a handful of bloggers represent the bulk of UND supporters. My contacts with folks in Grand Forks and UND have been realistic for along time to the effect that the name is going to have to change, that they were going to go D-1, and that the Summit is the best option for them. In fact, a coach up there told me the sooner they get it done and move on the better and that everyone is tired of the topic. Im guessing most have resigned themselves to the inevitable and are ready to move on and that within a year of the change it will be a forgotten issue. Anyone remember the Stanford Indians?
              There are two sects of UND fans. One is like you describe, pretty rational and they want what is best for the school and they are the majority. I have many relatives and friends that went to UND and what you said describes them.

Then you have a group that pretty much cares about hockey and that is what drives them. A lot of them aren't big into basketball and that in my opinion gives them a warped veiw of reality. So in a way I was cherry picking with those quotes but I guess i just wanted to show how crazy some are.

The dislike of Douple does run pretty deep though, the guy doesn't have many fans up in GF right now.

Comment

There are two sects of UND fans. One is like you describe, pretty rational and they want what is best for the school and they are the majority. I have many relatives and friends that went to UND and what you said describes them.

Then you have a group that pretty much cares about hockey and that is what drives them. A lot of them aren't big into basketball and that in my opinion gives them a warped veiw of reality. So in a way I was cherry picking with those quotes but I guess i just wanted to show how crazy some are.

The dislike of Douple does run pretty deep though, the guy doesn't have many fans up in GF right now.
                Then you have a group that pretty much cares about "hockey/football/basketball/baseball - pick one" and that is what drives them. A lot of them aren't big into basketball and that in my opinion gives them a warped veiw of reality. So in a way I was cherry picking with those quotes but I guess i just wanted to show how crazy some are.

You can make this general comments about a number of schools - Duke, Nebraska and USC - and that tends to skew reality for all them a bit.

Comment

I'm glad the UND basketball program has at least one advocate, it is very sad reading SS.com lately and seeing the posts that pretty much state that hockey and football is all that matters. If I was UND fan I would be very angry reading some of that crap, basketball is a very important sport in DI and getting into the Summit League shouldn't be taken so lightly.
                  I agree basketball is very important to DI. As far as, the name and hockey fans.. you have a very vocal loyal group. I think that vast majority understand the name change is coming. But many are very frustrated by all the outside interference on this topic.

It is shame that some fans seem to show that kind of disregard for UND hoops because I think Jones is a good coach. Good enough that maybe he can get it turned around but the odds are steep. He'll need to catch some luck like NDSU did, that one class could very well completely turn NDSU basketball around for sometime. If that didn't happen I am probably not speaking so negatively of UND because our situations would be similar. UND basketball is in some need of some serious momentum, momentum that will drive fans to care and give $$$. Momentum that will be hard to come by since you have given NDSU and SDSU a huge recruiting advantage by sticking in DII for too long.
                  I agree with the momentum, but I am optimistic that UND can narrow the gap. They have a lot of postives for the basketball program.

I support UND and Denver because the alternatives are far worse and they are both good schools. Maybe they can overcome their hockey obstacles, both have a tough road though.
                  I would love to see both Denver and UND in the Summit - instant rival from hockey!! It would be great to have games with Denver, USD, SDSU and NDSU. Those four games plus Oral Roberts and Oakland would be reconized games by the fan base.

I don't care what anyone says, the Betty was the worst idea in the history of UND basketball, I don't know how any coach could handle having to walk by that beautiful hockey arena and then have to tell their recruits that they actually play in a 3,000 seat gym around the corner. It is basically like a neon sign that states WE ARE A HOCKEY SCHOOL. Recruits will get a far different vibe in visiting NDSU, USD, SDSU, Montana, Montana State, Colorado State(as long as Miles is there), UNI, Creighton, Milwaukee, Drake, and Green Bay. Recruiting is fierce enough without have to deal with that, that isn't going to cut it in DI, if I was Jones I would lobby hard to get UND basketball back in the REA.
                  Actually, the AD is on record as wanting to transition games back to the REA. I think that is why they are pushing for Summit. When they are admitted into the Summit - the regional games with go to REA.. along with heavy advertising. In addition, they are working on 2 for 1s with larger D-1 schools. Those games would also go to REA with heavy advertising. Again, the primary advantage with UND and BB is that the practice/game facilities are in place with the long term goal of moving a majority of the games to REA. So, the message to recruits taking recruiting visits during REA games is - let's make this our permanent home and lets fill this baby up!! It's an easier message when you already have the facilities in place.

Comment

wow, you guys are really not understanding this.

UND does nothing for the summit, the summit already has North Dakota covered.

Denver and Chicago State, gives you 2 TOP TEN media markets in the country!

futhermore, Dont think for one second that douple and the rest of the summit admin hasnt read or heard the hatred spewed towards them from und.

cuz i know alot of people who have emailed and called him to show proof of this.

You think there was smack talk between ndsu and sdsu fans at summit tourney? you put THOSE und fans in the mix, it'll be a bloody mess.

Comment

Originally posted by Lakesbison View Post
                      UND does nothing for the summit, the summit already has North Dakota covered.

cuz i know alot of people who have emailed and called him to show proof of this.
                      What UND will bring to the Summit that nobody outside the Summit can bring is an instant rivalry with NDSU. Your constant posting about them just solidifies this fact and if a lot of people are e-mailing Douple then it just confirms what Douple knows and that is that UND will be good for the league. Rivalries increase awareness and increases attendance. This all equals $$$$$$.

One thing I have learned about D-1 is that if you can help someone put money in their pocket, they are interested in you. UND can bring money into the conference by increasing attendance. If you look at the attendance for NDSU, SDSU, USD and UND during the D-2 days in BB, the Summit League would love to have those numbers from those 4 universities again.

UND being included into the Summit League will happen. It is all about the Benjamins.

You can squack all you want, it won't change a thing. So my advice to you is to mentally accept it and move on with you life.
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=)
                      (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Well, if Lakes is against UND being in the Summit, that's good reason to support it, I suppose.

But Chicago State and Denver may be located in major cities, but does it really give access to the market? Chicago State has very little of the Chicago market, it's way down the pecking order there. And Denver just doesn't seem to be that much of a presence in the Denver market either.

Regarding UND, one of their nickname problems is how supporters of the nickname often respond. Too many respond to disputes over the nickname with something like "We have the Sioux nickname to honor Indians, and if those drunken indians don't like it, they can go back to Indiana!" The loudmouth idiots do tend to drown out more reasonable people, and I'm not saying that all or even most Sioux nickname supporters are like this, but this sort of person doesn't exactly help build goodwill.

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalJack View Post
                          What UND will bring to the Summit that nobody outside the Summit can bring is an instant rivalry with NDSU. Your constant posting about them just solidifies this fact and if a lot of people are e-mailing Douple then it just confirms what Douple knows and that is that UND will be good for the league. Rivalries increase awareness and increases attendance. This all equals $$$$$$.

One thing I have learned about D-1 is that if you can help someone put money in their pocket, they are interested in you. UND can bring money into the conference by increasing attendance. If you look at the attendance for NDSU, SDSU, USD and UND during the D-2 days in BB, the Summit League would love to have those numbers from those 4 universities again.

UND being included into the Summit League will happen. It is all about the Benjamins.

You can squack all you want, it won't change a thing. So my advice to you is to mentally accept it and move on with you life.
                          Hmm. The same thing could have been said about USD, but there were still plenty of people on here that opposed it vehemently.
                          Originally posted by JackFan96
                          Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post
                            Hmm. The same thing could have been said about USD, but there were still plenty of people on here that opposed it vehemently.
                            Well most of those people, me included, did not want USD because it probably was not in the best interest of SDSU. I'm not sure that SD can support two D-1 universities with D-1 athletes.

But as far as the Summit League goes, adding USD and eventually UND is a no brainer.

That is the difference. Fortunately the Presidents of the Summit League can separate themselves from the minutia and see the bigger picture.
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)
                            (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Indianapolis is a huge market too, but noone there cares. Oakland is located just outside Detroit and it's not a big deal. How many people know about Oakland or where it is or have even heard of them period? Kansas City is a decent size market and UMKC is a mess and gets little-to-no attention in KC.

Noone in Denver or Chicago care about those two schools. They are never front page news. I'll argue that schools like SDSU and NDSU where it's the only show in town (only show in the state) are more valuable to the league than schools in huge markets who have so much to compete with.

Comment

Originally posted by Lakesbison View Post
                                Who gets more attention: an idiot bellowing on a street corner in Times Square or an idiot bellowing on a street corner in front of the Hopscotch in Fort Pierre?

The correct answer is: It doesn't matter. They're both idiots.

Chicago State is a mess, and Denver has been D-1 for only a half dozen or so years longer than the Dakota schools.

It doesn't matter where they're at, they're still small.

Comment

Working...
                                X