Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Will UND be in the Summit?

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
    Think about it awhile.If the jacks could no longer be called the jackrabbits, what would you call your team?Not that many cool critters roam the upper plains, jackrabbits,(best), coyotes, bison,are taken, that leaves beavers, possums, racoons,skunks(definately out of the question), numerous birds, or types of people past (pirates, homesteaders, miners, (i think that's taken already)I think rather than re-name, just show the sioux tribes the respect they want & negotiate with them & come up with some type of agreement with them that will satisfy both sides.
    I made the same comment. Could you imagine if PETA got involved with macsot names?
    Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

1) UND's new nickname would in all likelihood be the Rough Riders, after Teddy Roosevelt. It's in wide enough circulation that Phil Jackson has openly voiced support for that nickname.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m.../ai_n16171174/

2) Under an enforceable settlement, the nickname issue MUST be resolved by the end of 2010, so UND is all but guaranteed acceptance into the Summit.

Comment

Think about it awhile.If the jacks could no longer be called the jackrabbits, what would you call your team?Not that many cool critters roam the upper plains, jackrabbits,(best), coyotes, bison,are taken, that leaves beavers, possums, racoons,skunks(definately out of the question), numerous birds, or types of people past (pirates, homesteaders, miners, (i think that's taken already)I think rather than re-name, just show the sioux tribes the respect they want & negotiate with them & come up with some type of agreement with them that will satisfy both sides.
        The problem with this is that you are continuously at the mercy of an outside entity. Say you get an agreement that is overwhelmingly approved in public vote. And the next year another vote is held and it goes down to defeat. Are they OK? Doesn't sound like it from what the NCAA has said in the past in regards to having assent. FSU is OK because they have an agreement from the Seminole Nation, but the NCAA has not, to my knowledge, addressed the issue of what happens to a school when/if the Native American tribe revokes their assent. It is a much better solution to just end the issue once and for all and move on.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Per a few people in the know, the settlement between the Sioux tribes and the State of North Dakota is that the tribes can revoke consent at any time.

I don't know that this would be the case with the NCAA, but the NCAA's policy isn't the deciding one this time around, it's the terms of the settlement.

Comment

I made the same comment. Could you imagine if PETA got involved with macsot names? ( from bub94)
            When they partiitioned Spearfish HS to rename themselves Sea Kitten High? Ah, thanks but no thanks!
            Rough riders is already taken by Roosevelt High School in Sioux Falls.....just kidding!
            I like homesteaders, no one honors the poor ole homesteader, unless they think they'll come to play , & never leave....just kidding again!
            Last edited by jackdaniel; 04-16-2009, 12:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
              Per a few people in the know, the settlement between the Sioux tribes and the State of North Dakota is that the tribes can revoke consent at any time.

I don't know that this would be the case with the NCAA, but the NCAA's policy isn't the deciding one this time around, it's the terms of the settlement.
              The settlement that I know of was between the NCAA and UND from the lawsuit over the proposed sanctions. Has their been a further development that I am unaware of?

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
                The settlement that I know of was between the NCAA and UND from the lawsuit over the proposed sanctions. Has their been a further development that I am unaware of?
                http://indiancountrynews.net/index.p...797&Itemid=115

Relevant bit:

If approval of the nickname is withdrawn later from either the Standing Rock or Spirit Lake Sioux tribes, the waiver will also be withdrawn, the agreement says

Comment

I like homesteaders, no one honors the poor ole homesteader!
                  I believe the Oklahoma Sooners were named after homesteaders who went out and staked their claim earlier , or sooner, than was legally allowed.

It's kind of funny that their school mascot is a cheater.
                  “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                    I believe the Oklahoma Sooners were named after homesteaders who went out and staked their claim earlier , or sooner, than was legally allowed.

Kelvin Sampson doesn't see the problem with that.
                    Originally posted by JackFan96
                    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                      The settlement referenced in the article is the one between the NCAA and UND.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
                        The settlement referenced in the article is the one between the NCAA and UND.
                        Right, my mistake on that one. Subsequent to the lawsuit, somehow or another, the state board of higher ed ended up in control of the nickname issue.

Comment

My understanding of the issue is that the State Board of Higher Ed is actually the party that controls the issue because of how the higher ed is structured in ND. Sort of like how some things are under the BoR here and some with the schools. IIRC correctly, this was under the State Board of Higher Ed because the penalties involved tournaments, etc. that may not affect solely UND. I could be totally wrong on that though. Maybe one of our Bison brothers can explain this.

Comment

My hunch is that the clock is ticking quite rapidly for UND. The Summit League would likely accept UND in short fashion if the Fighting Sioux name gets dropped this spring or summer. If UND waits until the last possible moment to change, the Summit League will likely move on without UND, either by adding another school or sticking with its current membership.

If UND were to somehow get tribal approval for its nickname, I think that the Summit League would still be apt to stay away from UND. In that case, UND would likely have to pray for an opening in the Big Sky.

Nevertheless, the USD-UND alliance is virtually dead as the Coyotes obviously prefer the SDSU-NDSU-USD trifecta to the UxD duo.

Comment

I know the Big Sky is in a little bit of trouble and all, but they wouldn't accept NDSU and SDSU (mainly for geographic reasons) so why the heck would they accept just UND (which is the furthest of all the Dakota schools from the Big Sky).

If I were UND the name and logo would have been gone a long time ago. It certainly would have been gone before I went D1 without a conference. Maybe they know something we don't, but, if the Summit says no thanks, UND is in big trouble. Independent is no way to do D1, especially when you're located in Grand Forks, ND.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post

OU is a bunch of CHEATERS!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X