Transfer portal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
    She's majoring in medical biology so I'd say USD is a good choice for that. The sun doesn't rise and set over SDSU ya know. Each and every college in the nation has something to offer. There's a smack thread for those that want to constantly bash.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
    you know when i write a post i can IMMEDIATELY see where someone might try to poke holes or could misunderstand it. i often try to pre address some of that. but it also leads to long posts. sometimes i try to just let it go. as was the case here

other than calling vermillion verm town and calling usd that school, there was NOTHING in the post actually bashing usd. i guess it DOES NOT seem overly odd to me that people who actually take the time to write on an SDSU far forum would have some disdain for usd. and NOTHING i said in the post you are responding to crossed ANYTHING close to being inappropriate or mean in any way

the same post is actually giving at least some indication that maddie krull would be better off staying at usd!

as far as the coach. she is in a tough spot with a lot of jobs to juggle! is that NOT TRUE? now again if you need more clarification, at this point that may be of her own choosing. i am sure she has some say about the assistants maybe almost all the say
    so currently having no assistants may be a challenge of her own making, but it is nevertheless true and it has to make her life hard and busy!!

and i think most could see how that could cause things to look a bit tough and or messy their at the moment for recruits coming in or thinking about coming, since they obviously have roster spots to fill

do i really NEED to go into that much detail to make everything clear??

as far as the school goes, the point was that i doubted she chose that school for other reasons before the coach and program. and that the current situation would not seem to be very comfortable. and that other reasons would seem unlikely to make someone want to stay in that basketball program with so many unknowns

I could also "at least imagine" other reasons she would stay!! just did not see reason to go into all that

simply stated, i think most people would understand that the situation their does not look too great at the moment and that it is surprising that a kid who likely had other options would go to a place she possibly has NOT developed much history or deep bonds with YET

and i have NEVER given any indication about her going to state or thinking she should. i do understand that there are other schools including two D1 programs in her home state

as far as the point you bring up about education

the med school is at usd yes!

but that being the case it is interesting that sdsu has the FAR more respected nursing program! it is much more difficult to gain entrance into the program at sdsu as opposed to usd for nursing.

they also have HIGHLY RESPECTED programs for athletic training and undergrad program for those who want to go on to be physical therapists. and MANY doctors have done their undergrad work at state including many local doctors and local leaders. and plenty of doctors have also obviously done their undergrad at other schools as well

simply having the medical school has apparently NOT made them the far and away best place for future docs to do undergrad. or any other type of medical related schooling

as far as the quality or rigor of the school. i had a former MBB player who played juco for a highly unscrupulous coach who made no effort to prepare him educationally to go to a four year school. he was at least contacted by over a hundred schools at time to go to 4 year. and got to the point where over double digit schools looked into what would be necessary for him to be eligible to play in the fall upon coming to that particular school

literally every school that spoke to him required over 10 credits of summer school in order to be eligible in the fall, except for usd which required 5 credits. sdsu btw required 14

if you are one of the people who is a fan of both schools, that is your choice but i am NOT!! i am not apologizing for not liking usd but nothing in my post was crossing any line! i will leave it at that for now

Comment

Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post

literally every school that spoke to him required over 10 credits of summer school in order to be eligible in the fall, except for usd which required 5 credits. sdsu btw required 14

if you are one of the people who is a fan of both schools, that is your choice but i am NOT!! i am not apologizing for not liking usd but nothing in my post was crossing any line! i will leave it at that for now

I'm not sure how compelling that transfer credit situation is.

It's been over 20 years since I chose undergrad. institution, but I opted to initially attend NSU because they allowed me to transfer a semester's worth of USN training in courses like Wellness, Physics, and Chemistry that SDSU didn't (SDSU offered roughly six transfer credits). As a social science major, none of those credits were necessarily relevant to any of my eventual grad. degrees, which I thankfully earned at SDSU; nevertheless, it saved me a considerable amount of my MGIB that I then used for a portion of my Master's.

Side note -- a 'Yotely colleague tells me that I shouldn't be a fan of Jacks because NSU was where I earned Bachelor's. My response is that I earned two degrees from SDSU, and I don't base my fandom on 'Yotes' assessments

Comment

Ezeudu joins perennial mid major power FGCU. Talk about a team that utilizes the portal more to it's advantage than maybe any other team in D1 on the women's side. I'm not sure HC Smesko even bothers to recruit HS players at this point. Of this 16 players listed on their roster this last year 12 were transfers. And they were 30-3. Lots of ways to build a team I guess.

The Moore sisters from ORU have also hit the portal. They currently have retained 1 of the 9 players that player 8+ minutes against us in the SLT. Pretty brutal offseason in Tulsa.

NDSU has also lost 7 players to the portal. Sounds like some internal strife between Jori and the players related to his coaching style. He has some good recruits coming in, but a lot of turmoil in Fargo as well.

Things not looking good for non-SDSU teams this offseason in the Summit. Doesn't look like much hope for this being a 2 bid league in the near future, especially if Watson/Krull jump ship with Coach P to WVU.
        Last edited by SteelSD; 04-19-2022, 09:00 AM.

Comment

The roster page for Coyote WBB is missing Kyah Watson. Krull is currently among the roster.

https://goyotes.com/sports/womens-basketball/roster
          Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

I am not sure if SteelSD had 6'3" Katie Scott on the ORU transfer portal. She entered yesterday to join the majority of the squad. Add ORU to a total rebuild.
            Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by SteelSD View Post
              Ezeudu joins perennial mid major power FGCU. Talk about a team that utilizes the portal more to it's advantage than maybe any other team in D1 on the women's side. I'm not sure HC Smesko even bothers to recruit HS players at this point. Of this 16 players listed on their roster this last year 12 were transfers. And they were 30-3. Lots of ways to build a team I guess.

The Moore sisters from ORU have also hit the portal. They currently have retained 1 of the 9 players that player 8+ minutes against us in the SLT. Pretty brutal offseason in Tulsa.

NDSU has also lost 7 players to the portal. Sounds like some internal strife between Jori and the players related to his coaching style. He has some good recruits coming in, but a lot of turmoil in Fargo as well.

Things not looking good for non-SDSU teams this offseason in the Summit. Doesn't look like much hope for this being a 2 bid league in the near future, especially if Watson/Krull jump ship with Coach P to WVU.
              FGCU is a cool campus. It is literally across the street from the beach in Fort Meyers. We went there the first year of D1 and watched the MBB team play there and I thought who wouldn't want to come here. It's a perfect set up for transfers to come in.

SUPERBUNNY
              MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

In general I would hope the portal transfers will become less in a year or two. I think you can transfer once without sitting out a year. Then if you transfer again you have to sit out a year. You can still transfer if you have graduated and want to transfer as a grad student without sitting out a year. So these transfers today will have to sit a year if they want to transfer again. Hopefully that adds some stability in rosters in the future. Hard to say.

I think we are in a good shape on transfers because we have a lot of local kids. As an example if you recruit a kid from Aberdeen, they are less inclined to transfer to Florida. But if you recruit a kid from Florida, they have a higher chance of transferring out. Not to bash on USD, but they don't have a lot of local kids on the Men's BB team. They have a lot of overseas kids and they really have no loyalty or family in the area so they can transfer to a better situation without any remorse. Take Kalen Garry for example. SDSU is his dream school, so I hear. He may be a walk-on and may not get a lot of minutes early in his career, but he will be here for 5 years and work to earn minutes and will get minutes toward the end of his career. But he adds stability to a program and you know he will be good for the program. Once you have stability then you can have a few players from outside the area, because they come in and see players that have been here for years and not leave. If they build a bond with their teammates and the teammates stay, then they are more likely to stay also.

The other aspect of the transfer is stability in coaching. We have been really good about keeping our coaches for long tenures, All or most of our coaches are from this area or nearby and they want to live near family. Of course money may trump all of that, but if the coaching staff is stable, then the team has a better chance of being stable. You can also build a fan base better if there is stability on a team. I want to cheer for the same kids year in and year out. I was listening to the wrestling podcast a few months ago and they asked Hahn if the Minnesota job opened up would he take it? Now maybe he was trying to be politically correct here, but he said no, that he has boys that love riding bikes around town and he feels safe with the neighborhoods and that he could not do that in Minneapolis so he would stay here. He feels he can build a top program here and does not need to leave to accomplish that. I feel that most of our coaches are in the same boat.

Anyway sorry for the long rant, but this is just my opinion and I think it all starts at the top with Justin Sell and he has created a great environment for the entire athletic department.

Go Jacks!!!
                (\__/)
                (='.'=)
                (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalJack View Post
                  In general I would hope the portal transfers will become less in a year or two. I think you can transfer once without sitting out a year. Then if you transfer again you have to sit out a year. You can still transfer if you have graduated and want to transfer as a grad student without sitting out a year. So these transfers today will have to sit a year if they want to transfer again. Hopefully that adds some stability in rosters in the future. Hard to say.

I think we are in a good shape on transfers because we have a lot of local kids. As an example if you recruit a kid from Aberdeen, they are less inclined to transfer to Florida. But if you recruit a kid from Florida, they have a higher chance of transferring out. Not to bash on USD, but they don't have a lot of local kids on the Men's BB team. They have a lot of overseas kids and they really have no loyalty or family in the area so they can transfer to a better situation without any remorse. Take Kalen Garry for example. SDSU is his dream school, so I hear. He may be a walk-on and may not get a lot of minutes early in his career, but he will be here for 5 years and work to earn minutes and will get minutes toward the end of his career. But he adds stability to a program and you know he will be good for the program. Once you have stability then you can have a few players from outside the area, because they come in and see players that have been here for years and not leave. If they build a bond with their teammates and the teammates stay, then they are more likely to stay also.

The other aspect of the transfer is stability in coaching. We have been really good about keeping our coaches for long tenures, All or most of our coaches are from this area or nearby and they want to live near family. Of course money may trump all of that, but if the coaching staff is stable, then the team has a better chance of being stable. You can also build a fan base better if there is stability on a team. I want to cheer for the same kids year in and year out. I was listening to the wrestling podcast a few months ago and they asked Hahn if the Minnesota job opened up would he take it? Now maybe he was trying to be politically correct here, but he said no, that he has boys that love riding bikes around town and he feels safe with the neighborhoods and that he could not do that in Minneapolis so he would stay here. He feels he can build a top program here and does not need to leave to accomplish that. I feel that most of our coaches are in the same boat.

Anyway sorry for the long rant, but this is just my opinion and I think it all starts at the top with Justin Sell and he has created a great environment for the entire athletic department.

Go Jacks!!!
                  Working out of the extra year of COVID eligibility should help as well. Having players around for a fifth season of eligibility reduces playing time for younger players, which can result in discontent and looking for what may be better opportunities for playing time.

Comment

Kyah Watson officially going to WVU. Krull still in the transfer portal and reportedly visited there. Ouch.

Comment

Originally posted by GoJacks2011 View Post
                      Kyah Watson officially going to WVU. Krull still in the transfer portal and reportedly visited there. Ouch.
                      Yotes fans saying Krull is making other visits, possibly including Nebraska.

Comment

Also the post player that came from Oklahoma is no longer listed on roster at USD. The have 12 players right now with Krull still listed and both Freshman recruits listed.

Comment

Originally posted by JacksRiseUp View Post
                          Also the post player that came from Oklahoma is no longer listed on roster at USD. The have 12 players right now with Krull still listed and both Freshman recruits listed.
                          That new coach is definitely going to work some magic, both on the court and in short-term recruiting. It had to be frustrating seeing a player of Dru’s caliber want to come back to SD before they had her hire finalized.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post

That new coach is definitely going to work some magic, both on the court and in short-term recruiting. It had to be frustrating seeing a player of Dru’s caliber want to come back to SD before they had her hire finalized.
                            I have no idea where her finance lives, or what her major is, but from strictly a basketball standpoint this fit made to much sense. SDSU was coming off a championship with the only glaring hole being the position she played. Unless she grew up a huge USD fan, I would think she would want to use her last year to be a part of a team with high aspirations rather than a rebuild.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post

Yotes fans saying Krull is making other visits, possibly including Nebraska.
                              She graduated from Millard South, 43 minutes from the Lincoln campus.

Comment

Krull officially commits to Nebraska. Going to take some time for USD to find their identity moving forward.

Comment

Working...
                                X