No announcement yet.

Transfer portal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As mentioned by Carolina in the other thread, she took the entire staff with her minus the Director of Operations (as seen on USD Women's basketball coaches page). This is 100% not on the players. Just look at LSU who literally lost all of their scholarship players and the entire recruiting class following the firing of Will Wade - granted they're probably going to have some sort of NCAA sanctions. Also take a look at the Saint Peter's Peacocks (Elite 8 this past tournament) who had their two leading scorers plus a 30minute guy enter the portal after the coach left for Seton Hall. Welcome to college basketball. This is nothing new following the loss of a head coach.

The previous WVU head coach was making $700,000 (granted he was there 20 some years), and the USD board suggested Dawn took a smaller salary ($500k base) to bring along the entire staff. Looking at the figures, the former WVU top assistant made 120k in 2019 and 170k in 2020. Dawn's salary was 219k in 2019. We have seen that a lot of HC positions at the mid major level are just used as stepping stones. Dawn's assistant coach will probably find a HC job at some point, and I'll bet he can find a better position faster after being an assistant on a Big 12 team that finished .500 last year rather than the HC of a Summit league team that is losing their super seniors.

Comment

Originally posted by peavy View Post
      As mentioned by Carolina in the other thread, she took the entire staff with her minus the Director of Operations (as seen on USD Women's basketball coaches page). This is 100% not on the players. Just look at LSU who literally lost all of their scholarship players and the entire recruiting class following the firing of Will Wade - granted they're probably going to have some sort of NCAA sanctions. Also take a look at the Saint Peter's Peacocks (Elite 8 this past tournament) who had their two leading scorers plus a 30minute guy enter the portal after the coach left for Seton Hall. Welcome to college basketball. This is nothing new following the loss of a head coach.

The previous WVU head coach was making $700,000 (granted he was there 20 some years), and the USD board suggested Dawn took a smaller salary ($500k base) to bring along the entire staff. Looking at the figures, the former WVU top assistant made 120k in 2019 and 170k in 2020. Dawn's salary was 219k in 2019. We have seen that a lot of HC positions at the mid major level are just used as stepping stones. Dawn's assistant coach will probably find a HC job at some point, and I'll bet he can find a better position faster after being an assistant on a Big 12 team that finished .500 last year rather than the HC of a Summit league team that is losing their super seniors.
      if that would be their focus then usd is lucky that they all left and or smart for NOT trying to keep any of them.

YES it is true they lost all time greats!! and they had a great opportunity that they did not max out and it might take a while to get it again

but if you have a chance to be the head coach at usd and those are the things you focus on..... again, then the school is lucky not to have them

of course we have no idea what happened. DID the school try to keep someone or not... as far as i know, we have NO IDEA

but if you were on that staff and you got the HC job, you would say ok there are like 1000 players in the portal. lets take the video from wichita and say see what happens when you come to play here!! you go to the ncaa 4 years in a row!! and you go to a regional and you have a gym that is almost full of your fans when you are playing against michigan or louisville

but YEAH)))!!! i hope whoever they get is focused on WHO they lost and is planning to need a little time to rebuild!! that works perfect for me))))

Comment

Here's a Geno video from last week. He talks about running a practice like they did 15 years ago following a loss earlier in the year to South Carolina, his players leaving for the portal, and the portal in general. I know not everyone likes the guy, but the whole video is worth a quick watch to hear his perspective on things (or at least the portal part since he lists some figures, similar to filbert in post 18). The original question was how has he had to evolve his coaching style as more players leave. link to tweet. Edit: timestamp doesn't work, go to 2:03 to hear the portal part.

Comment

Originally posted by peavy View Post
          Here's a Geno video from last week. He talks about running a practice like they did 15 years ago following a loss earlier in the year to South Carolina, his players leaving for the portal, and the portal in general. I know not everyone likes the guy, but the whole video is worth a quick watch to hear his perspective on things (or at least the portal part since he lists some figures, similar to filbert in post 18). The original question was how has he had to evolve his coaching style as more players leave. link to tweet. Edit: timestamp doesn't work, go to 2:03 to hear the portal part.
          not to get off track, but i think he was much more unlikable when he was younger. he was much cockier! he has spoken recently about recognizing that his opportunities are limited now and not knowing how many more there will be. time has humbled him or educated him a bit

he is still VERY CONFIDENT, just look what he says about if player leave his program, but now more confident and less cocky

anyway the things he said about never losing anyone meaningful. SAME THINGS are true at sdsu in both programs!!! could it happen? SURE! does it need to be a worry all the time? NO NO NO

the jacks do not lose players who are critical to the program!! they do not lose players who go on and dominate some other place!!! i can still think of ONLY ONE example

DJ and caleb grill would have both been better off if they had stayed right where they were!! and nobody in the program was losing sleep about DJ leaving. and neither of those is the one player i am talking about

i agree 100% with what he geno said

Comment

Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post

not to get off track, but i think he was much more unlikable when he was younger. he was much cockier! he has spoken recently about recognizing that his opportunities are limited now and not knowing how many more there will be. time has humbled him or educated him a bit

he is still VERY CONFIDENT, just look what he says about if player leave his program, but now more confident and less cocky

anyway the things he said about never losing anyone meaningful. SAME THINGS are true at sdsu in both programs!!! could it happen? SURE! does it need to be a worry all the time? NO NO NO

the jacks do not lose players who are critical to the program!! they do not lose players who go on and dominate some other place!!! i can still think of ONLY ONE example

DJ and caleb grill would have both been better off if they had stayed right where they were!! and nobody in the program was losing sleep about DJ leaving. and neither of those is the one player i am talking about

i agree 100% with what he geno said

Are you gonna leave me hanging or tell me the one that left? My memory is slipping.

Comment

Originally posted by Justwin View Post

Are you gonna leave me hanging or tell me the one that left? My memory is slipping.
              hahaha sorry!

Mandy Koupal went to usd after one year at state

supposedly the reason had mostly to do with being an elementary education major, although that has been disputed

she was an all time great at usd, arguably still the best ever player and no doubt top 3 to 5 all time!!! and would have been same for the jacks

that is the only player i can think of who left the jacks and was a star somewhere else, but that was obviously a while back

again i am not saying it will NEVER happen!!! but i have no worries about it happening often

Comment

hahaha sorry!

Mandy Koupal went to usd after one year at state

supposedly the reason had mostly to do with being an elementary education major, although that has been disputed

she was an all time great at usd, arguably still the best ever player and no doubt top 3 to 5 all time!!! and would have been same for the jacks

that is the only player i can think of who left the jacks and was a star somewhere else, but that was obviously a while back

again i am not saying it will NEVER happen!!! but i have no worries about it happening often
                Even with MK leaving we did pretty well still with out her. It didnt hurt a ton, but probably would have been that much better. If i recall, we won a national championship after she left while she was at USD......So we still did all right.
                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Peavy, that was a good find on Geno. I always liked his comment about some teams being beaten by large margins by the Huskies. He indicated that those teams should get better! He has been fortunate to lure some of the best of the best on an annual basis. Players go there to learn basketball and win. They do not go there to be coddled by the coaching staff. Geno earned the the status of a great coach by results as much as Wooden accomplished at UCLA. There is always a circumstance that is not ordinary for a student athlete and enter the portal which is due to a fault of the coaching staff. The 40%+ of players that do not find a new team might need to reexamine their choice. The majority of players do not have the success of Umude or Obanor from the MBB Summit transfers. The Jackrabbits have had some success of retaining players. Most of the women who left seem to go to D2 teams to obtain playing minutes.
                  Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post

Even with MK leaving we did pretty well still with out her. It didnt hurt a ton, but probably would have been that much better. If i recall, we won a national championship after she left while she was at USD......So we still did all right.
                    OH YES!! i did not say that the jacks fell apart without her)) hopefully she was satisfied with her decision and it worked out for everyone!! and who knows?? OF COURSE a player of her caliber would have even made those great teams better!! would the jacks have won multiple championships instead of one?? we can only guess

Comment

Bison women's team being gutted by the transfer portal as they are now down to 5 scholarship players. The once mighty program is now a mid/low tier Summit league program.

Comment

Originally posted by SteelSD View Post
                        Bison women's team being gutted by the transfer portal as they are now down to 5 scholarship players. The once mighty program is now a mid/low tier Summit league program.
                        they seemed to have more talent then what their record really showed. A friend who had all session passes follows SDSu and well USD enough over the years and he was not impressed with any team in the womens but thought NDSU really should be the 3rd best team on the womens side.
                        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by SteelSD View Post
                          They also had a short term coach leave after 1 year who is now an assistant coach(Sandra Abston) with the Roos. Abston will join a staff that needs to fill many slots left by graduation and transfer.
                          Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

ORU WBB has the Moore twins(Tirzah & Trinity) in the Transfer Portal. The head coaching position and roster are wide open.

Also, Sophomore Aubrey Joens(SG Iowa State) is in the portal. Will she go home to Iowa City or go to mobile home in Vermillion?

Comment

both krull and watson are in morgantown this weekend. word is dp wants them both to join her. they have to decide if that is what they want.

dont claim any expertise about it but it does appear that krull at least is very VERY close with her family. WVU seems an awfully long way away. especially so compared to verm town, obviously

doesnt appear that they have hired a single assistant yet. new coach trying to get settled in and has to do every single wbb responsibility

SHOCKED the 6'3 girl from ND is still committed. WHAT can she possibly see that gives her confidence. i find it impossible that she is simply SO SOLD on THAT school

Comment

both krull and watson are in morgantown this weekend. word is dp wants them both to join her. they have to decide if that is what they want.

dont claim any expertise about it but it does appear that krull at least is very VERY close with her family. WVU seems an awfully long way away. especially so compared to verm town, obviously

doesnt appear that they have hired a single assistant yet. new coach trying to get settled in and has to do every single wbb responsibility

SHOCKED the 6'3 girl from ND is still committed. WHAT can she possibly see that gives her confidence. i find it impossible that she is simply SO SOLD on THAT school
                                She's majoring in medical biology so I'd say USD is a good choice for that. The sun doesn't rise and set over SDSU ya know. Each and every college in the nation has something to offer. There's a smack thread for those that want to constantly bash.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

"Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Working...
                                X