No announcement yet.

Summit Conference MBB 2020-21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UND up 36-24 on the Yotes after first half. USD struggling at the offensive end.

Comment

SDSU 6-2
      NDSU 9-3
      USD 9-3
      ORU 8-4
      UND 7-7
      UMKC 5-5
      WIU 5-7
      DU 1-9
      UNO 0-10
      Golden Eagles travel to Vermillion while the Jackrabbits go to Fargo. The bye week is WIU.
      Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

It’s going to be really tough to get that #1 seed when ORU and USD have a tiebreaker over us due to lack of games. NDSU will too unless we pull off a very difficult sweep.

The one seed is setting up to be very beneficial this year with Denver/Omaha being WAY less of a concern than WIU/UND/KC in the first round.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
          It’s going to be really tough to get that #1 seed when ORU and USD have a tiebreaker over us due to lack of games. NDSU will too unless we pull off a very difficult sweep.

The one seed is setting up to be very beneficial this year with Denver/Omaha being WAY less of a concern than WIU/UND/KC in the first round.
          Not really that difficult. If all the series between contenders ( NDSU-SDSU, NDSU-USD and USD-ORU ) result in splits and the Jacks win their final two home games with KC, SDSU would be 9-3 (.750) and NDSU and USD would be 11-5 (.688). And if ORU would sweep their final two games with Western Illinois, they would also be 11-5. The Jacks would lose the tie-breaker if they finish 9-3 and someone else goes 12-4.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post

Is the tiebreaker the total number of games played?

I was looking at the numbers and I think we have a good shot at the #1 seed. If we go 3-1 (sweep UMKC split with NDSU), USD goes 2-2 (splits with ORU and NDSU), NDSU goes 2-2 (splits with SDSU and USD), and ORU goes 3-1 (sweep WIU split with USD) we should get the #1 seed.

Obviously, tons of scenarios, but getting a sweep of a quality teams is really tough.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post

Is the tiebreaker the total number of games played?

I was looking at the numbers and I think we have a good shot at the #1 seed. If we go 3-1 (sweep UMKC split with NDSU), USD goes 2-2 (splits with ORU and NDSU), NDSU goes 2-2 (splits with SDSU and USD), and ORU goes 3-1 (sweep WIU split with USD) we should get the #1 seed.

Obviously, tons of scenarios, but getting a sweep of a quality teams is really tough.
              Looks like we both posted the same scenario at the exact same time. I believe The Summit League has said that the first tie-breaker is winning %. If two teams have the same %, then number of wins would determine the higher seed.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post

Looks like we both posted the same scenario at the exact same time. I believe The Summit League has said that the first tie-breaker is winning %. If two teams have the same %, then number of wins would determine the higher seed.
                It certainly doesn't make any sense to me to punish the team which has been denied the opportunity to play a game because of whatever's going on with their opponent which makes it impossible to play the game, but that's exactly what using number-of-wins as a tiebreaker does.

In times pre-covid, if a team couldn't play a game because of a health problem (say, an influenza outbreak) and it wasn't possible to reschedule the game, it would be counted as a forfeit win for their opponent.
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post

It certainly doesn't make any sense to me to punish the team which has been denied the opportunity to play a game because of whatever's going on with their opponent which makes it impossible to play the game, but that's exactly what using number-of-wins as a tiebreaker does.

In times pre-covid, if a team couldn't play a game because of a health problem (say, an influenza outbreak) and it wasn't possible to reschedule the game, it would be counted as a forfeit win for their opponent.
                  Not to mention we didn't get to play Omaha and Denver who are unquestionably the two worst teams in the league.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post

I agree with the forfeit idea. I brought that up on here a couple of weeks ago, but it wasn't a popular idea back then. There should have been time built into the schedule to allow for games to be made up.

Comment

USD men have their game today with ORU cancelled due to a positive test with their staff. These types of situations become more crucial at this point of the season with seeding and tourney play. Hope they and all other teams stay healthy but will be really interesting to see how this plays out.

Comment

Read the statement USD put out. It should have read “Out of an abundance of precaution for our current winning percentage and standings stop the league....”

No way they play next weekend!

SUPERBUNNY
                        MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
                          Read the statement USD put out. It should have read “Out of an abundance of precaution for our current winning percentage and standings stop the league....”

No way they play next weekend!

SUPERBUNNY
                          Media up north seems to agree.

Comment

Is there anywhere to find the Summit League COVID protocols ? Went to the League website and got zero matches searching for COVID protocols or even COVID. Who makes the decision to cancel games ? The conference ? The school ? Joint decision ? I would guess the latter, but it would be nice to know. And looking to next weekend, is there a minimum number of players USD needs to have available to play the games ? And again, who makes that decision ? In the case of transparency, it would be good to make those things known in advance. Hopefully the games go on and these are all moot points.

Comment

You have to think that the USD players don't want to win the conference like that. These covid protocols/positive tests seem to happen at very convenient times for a handful of teams. It's unfortunate that the league couldn't get cancelled games rescheduled.
                              Last edited by SanDakotaState; 02-22-2021, 08:24 PM.

Comment

By my math, the Jacks could end up anywhere from a #1 to a #5 seed (assuming USD/NDSU play this weekend).

"Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Working...
                                X