Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jacked_Up
    replied
    Re: St. Thomas to Summit / Missouri Valley?

Welcome, St. Thomas. It will be a good addition to the Summit because it brings a new state into the league. The South Dakota sports media have been so busy talking up Augie that they neglected St. Thomas. It's catch-up time.

Leave a comment:

• timt89
    replied
    Re: Augie to the Summit?

St Thomas to the Summit League -
    https://wordpress.com/post/letsgodu.com/70579

Leave a comment:

• Mr_Tibbs
    replied

Originally posted by hareball View Post
    St Thomas has been invited to join the Summit League. https://twitter.com/ElsenMidcoSN/sta...36993793220610

Does this mean they've received their straight-to-D1 waiver then? I wouldn't think the summit could extend an invite without that waiver being official.

Leave a comment:

• hareball
    replied

St Thomas has been invited to join the Summit League. https://twitter.com/ElsenMidcoSN/sta...36993793220610

Leave a comment:

• filbert
    replied

And, to re-set the reply-to thread title to THIS thread's title, here's a placeholder post.

Leave a comment:

• filbert
    replied

I moved some posts here from the Augie thread just because.

Leave a comment:

• JACKGUYII
    replied

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
    Agreed. Bring on St. Thomas. There's not enough corporate support in South Dakota to support three D-1 schools.
    USD will get hurt. SDSU not so much. Conference games against Augie in the Pentagon will be a blast.

Leave a comment:

• Jacked_Up
    replied

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
    Much better choice than Augie. I don’t hate Augie. I just don’t see how South Dakota can have three D1 schools and be successful. I believe the $$ will be spread too thin.
    Agreed. Bring on St. Thomas. There's not enough corporate support in South Dakota to support three D-1 schools.

Leave a comment:

• JACKGUYII
    replied

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
    Much better choice than Augie. I don’t hate Augie. I just don’t see how South Dakota can have three D1 schools and be successful. I believe the $$ will be spread too thin.
    St. Thomas would be an amazing addition. Augie would be a better conference mate in all sports than Western Illinois or IPFW. Better following, facilities, coaches...

Leave a comment:

• jackdaniel
    replied

St Thomas in Minn would give Minn two Div 1 schools, plus ,if Augie goes Div 1, that's three Div 1 schools in SD, plus Div 1 in ND (2), NE (3), Ia (4)....that's 14 Div 1 institutions in our 5 state region...the P-5 Universities don't rely so heavily on local recruitment as the others. but still take out of the local pool of recruits (just generally go for the best ones). That would put a bigger strain on recruiting in my opinion, coaches would have to work much harder and cast a bigger net, much farther out to get really good players like we're used to getting. It might lead to watering down the quality of our programs in the region a little bit too if recruitment suffers.Positive might be long term stability for the Conference.Just a thought.

Leave a comment:

• SDSUAlum08
    replied

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
    Charlie Walters, a sports columnist for the St. Paul Pioneer Press, on 7/27/19 reported the following rumor he heard:

"A little birdie says St. Thomas, ousted by the Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Association, could end up in the Division I Pioneer League for football and the Division I Summit League for its other sports. The university recently hired two assistant athletics directors."

That's the entire comment. Walters used the words "could end up" so there's nothing concrete. Personally, I'd like to see St. Thomas in the Summit before Augustana. I don't like the idea of Augie being in the Summit.

Here's the link...you have to scroll down to near the end of the column.

https://www.twincities.com/2019/07/2...-twins-pohlad/

Having a conference mate in the Twin Cities should be a goal and I don't know what other school could accomplish the D1 move other than St. Thomas.

Leave a comment:

• JackJD
    replied

Charlie Walters, a sports columnist for the St. Paul Pioneer Press, on 7/27/19 reported the following rumor he heard:

"A little birdie says St. Thomas, ousted by the Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Association, could end up in the Division I Pioneer League for football and the Division I Summit League for its other sports. The university recently hired two assistant athletics directors."

That's the entire comment. Walters used the words "could end up" so there's nothing concrete. Personally, I'd like to see St. Thomas in the Summit before Augustana. I don't like the idea of Augie being in the Summit.

Here's the link...you have to scroll down to near the end of the column.

https://www.twincities.com/2019/07/2...-twins-pohlad/

Having a conference mate in the Twin Cities should be a goal and I don't know what other school could accomplish the D1 move other than St. Thomas.

Leave a comment:

• goon
    replied

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
    I'd rather have them, than Augie, TBH.
    I would take auggie and stm if it means stability. I think both could be good additions. I would rather have those 2 then umkc and western ill right now. If western can figure out its money and enrollment issues and umkc needs some stability for sure.

Leave a comment:

• da_coach
    replied

I'd rather have them, than Augie, TBH.

Leave a comment:

• jackdaniel
    replied

Originally posted by filbert View Post
    I'm already on the record here as being for it.

Even if they bolt for the Big East as soon as they're tournament-eligible, the positive PR that the Summit League would get from uplifiting them from the s*it sandwich that the MIAC tossed their way would be worth the effort.

I think there's plenty of D-I WBB talent in the Upper Midwest, and I think SDSU has raised the visibility in WBB to the point where national recruiting becomes much more of an option. Plus, it's no secret in D-I WBB that the Upper Midwest is rich in WBB talent. It's already being recruited nationally. One more snout in the trough won't make a bit difference.
    It would be nice to get some more recruiting connections a little further out ,like Ks, Mo, maybe upper midwest area, Wisc a little more, Mich, Ill, Ind....that's a much bigger pool, but more drawing out of it though, still, might find a few there too.I think the big AAU, Nike, Addidas, UA National Tournaments cover a lot of Athletes from all accross the Nation, so sending people to them is very cost effective way to see, maybe get one or two utilizing that source,all that said,we seem to do OK in the recruiting wars , but constantly have to be vigilant and watching in the rear view mirror to keep our lead in the Summit as the best recruiting team in the Conference, in my opinion, and try and maintain staying one step ahead.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X