Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• goon
    replied
    Re: St. Thomas to Summit / Missouri Valley?

Yet that same arguement is a big sticking point why people dont want auggie. To many schools not enough athletes that are D-1. I am fine with adding auggie. I think they would become a stable and good summit member but a team in the cities would be nice too. Until league members decide to move the tourney to the twin cities. Anyway if st Tomas doesn't affect our ability to recruit the region we shouldn't have to worry about auggie doing the same.

Leave a comment:

• jackdaniel
    replied

Originally posted by filbert View Post
    I'm already on the record here as being for it.

Even if they bolt for the Big East as soon as they're tournament-eligible, the positive PR that the Summit League would get from uplifiting them from the s*it sandwich that the MIAC tossed their way would be worth the effort.

I think there's plenty of D-I WBB talent in the Upper Midwest, and I think SDSU has raised the visibility in WBB to the point where national recruiting becomes much more of an option. Plus, it's no secret in D-I WBB that the Upper Midwest is rich in WBB talent. It's already being recruited nationally. One more snout in the trough won't make a bit difference.
    Very true, was looking at recruits in WBB to see how they did playing club basketball this summer, came across two teams who competed for a National Championship for their age group, one was from Iowa (All Iowa attack) and the other was from Minn (North Tartan). Add in players from SD,ND,NE, there are lots of talented players in this , our primary recruiting area. The main, right now, Colleges drawing out of the pool are p-5 Colleges, Creighton, UNI, SDSU Jacks ,USD, Drake, some of the other Summit Colleges UND, for example, just recruited Miss basketball for Minn, Kacie Borowicz out of Roseau, Minn.
    Last edited by jackdaniel; 07-16-2019, 11:35 PM.

Leave a comment:

• filbert
    replied

Originally posted by 98Jackfarmer View Post
    It sounds good, till I think about the idea of them landing a recruit or many out of what seems to be a “honey hole” of an area for us. JMO.
    Edit, talking mostly WBB here
    I'm already on the record here as being for it.

Even if they bolt for the Big East as soon as they're tournament-eligible, the positive PR that the Summit League would get from uplifiting them from the s*it sandwich that the MIAC tossed their way would be worth the effort.

I think there's plenty of D-I WBB talent in the Upper Midwest, and I think SDSU has raised the visibility in WBB to the point where national recruiting becomes much more of an option. Plus, it's no secret in D-I WBB that the Upper Midwest is rich in WBB talent. It's already being recruited nationally. One more snout in the trough won't make a bit difference.

Leave a comment:

• Nidaros
    replied

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
    I'm climbing aboard the University of St. Thomas bandwagon. Let's bring them into the Summit and possibly the Missouri Valley. Augie is optional.
    Judging from media rumblings in Minnesota, St. Thomas may not be particularly interested in going D-11 and joining the Northern Sun. If it's going to move up, it may choose to go all the way.
    Adding St. Thomas would bring a solid Minnesota program into the competitive mix. It's twice as big as Augie in enrollment already and, with the Twin Cities as a base, has a lot of potential for growth.
    I'm surprised this possibility hasn't caught on more with the South Dakota media.
    I don't think St Thomas can avoid the D2 process and Northern Sun seems like the likely route. I believe their enrollment topped 10,000 last year so they are 5 times the current Augie enrollment of 1800. No doubt will look good as a SL member but might be short-lived if they are thinking Big East long term. We will just to watch and see what unfolds.

Leave a comment:

• 98Jackfarmer
    replied

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
    I'm climbing aboard the University of St. Thomas bandwagon. Let's bring them into the Summit and possibly the Missouri Valley. Augie is optional.
    Judging from media rumblings in Minnesota, St. Thomas may not be particularly interested in going D-11 and joining the Northern Sun. If it's going to move up, it may choose to go all the way.
    Adding St. Thomas would bring a solid Minnesota program into the competitive mix. It's twice as big as Augie in enrollment already and, with the Twin Cities as a base, has a lot of potential for growth.
    I'm surprised this possibility hasn't caught on more with the South Dakota media.
    It sounds good, till I think about the idea of them landing a recruit or many out of what seems to be a “honey hole” of an area for us. JMO.
    Edit, talking mostly WBB here

Leave a comment:

• Jacked_Up
    started a topic St. Thomas to Summit / Missouri Valley?

St. Thomas to Summit / Missouri Valley?

Adding St. Thomas would bring a solid Minnesota program into the competitive mix. It's much bigger than Augie in enrollment already and, with the Twin Cities as a base, has a lot of potential for growth.
    Last edited by Jacked_Up; 07-17-2019, 09:09 AM. Reason: Fix generalization about enrollment.
Working...
X