X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• perryc
    replied
    Originally posted by Hammersmith View Post

In other words, they're golden. The NCAA just said to UST, "submit some paperwork so we can rubber stamp it, then go ahead use the DII to DI process."
    So you think they'll be in the league for the 21-22 school year?

Leave a comment:

• Hammersmith
    replied
    Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
    “While this legislation is under consideration, the Council indicated it would be receptive to a formal waiver request from Division III St. Thomas (Minnesota) and the Summit League that would allow the school to begin the reclassification process.“

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/...ome-di-members
    In other words, they're golden. The NCAA just said to UST, "submit some paperwork so we can rubber stamp it, then go ahead use the DII to DI process."

Leave a comment:

• UWMandSDSU
    replied
    “While this legislation is under consideration, the Council indicated it would be receptive to a formal waiver request from Division III St. Thomas (Minnesota) and the Summit League that would allow the school to begin the reclassification process.“

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/...ome-di-members

Leave a comment:

• LakeJack
    replied
    Remember it's the School's Presidents that vote on membership. Not the Commissioner or ADs

Leave a comment:

• LakeJack
    replied
    Originally posted by BTownJack View Post

It will be interesting to see where this goes. Douple has been very non-committal about it all when in front of a crowd. The SF media and most others think it is a "done deal" but then it's been very quiet on the D-I front from Augie itself. Hopefully Douple will talk in front of the SF staters crowd again leading into the SL BB Tourney and addresses where they stand on it. Last year at that event he said something of the like "I've heard all this noise about Augie and we have yet to have a single conversation with them."

I do know this - IMHO our coaches would rather have Augie vs. St. Thomas. All of our sports hammer the Minneapolis metro area for recruits. You elevate St. Thomas to D-I status and put them in our conference. Suddenly there is legit competition up there for recruits. It could have a fairly big impact for our sports who pull kids up there on a regular basis.
    l think it will help recruiting. St. Thomas can only take 2 or 3 in basketball per class, and now we get a scheduled game for mom and dad to play in the Twin Cities and more media exposure.

Leave a comment:

• filbert
    replied
    If I'm Douple I tell St. Thomas that the Summit League will do everything it can to help the transition to D-I (schedule games/matches, help with the NCAA studies/paperwork, etc.) all the way through even if the NCAA doesn't come through with the waiver. St. Thomas would be a hit on the number of non-D-I matches/games each sports team could schedule, but I'd be prepared to be all-in for St. Thomas if I were the Summit League.

It's a unique situation (literally--what's happened to St. Thomas has never happened before as far as I know) and it needs creative thinking by all concerned.

Leave a comment:

• BTownJack
    replied
    Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post

Isn't St. Thomas to the Summit a done deal?
    Yes, pending the approval of them being able to jump directly from D-III to D-I. Which is uncharted territory for the NCAA as it's never been done. Currently as the rules read they would have to go through a 12-year transition process. They are trying to get that reduced to 4 years:

http://www.startribune.com/st-thomas...n-i/564636222/

Leave a comment:

• MontanaRabbit
    replied
    Originally posted by CappinHard View Post

St. Thomas will end up going D1 regardless, they'll find a home somewhere.
    Isn't St. Thomas to the Summit a done deal?

Leave a comment:

• CappinHard
    replied

It will be interesting to see where this goes. Douple has been very non-committal about it all when in front of a crowd. The SF media and most others think it is a "done deal" but then it's been very quiet on the D-I front from Augie itself. Hopefully Douple will talk in front of the SF staters crowd again leading into the SL BB Tourney and addresses where they stand on it. Last year at that event he said something of the like "I've heard all this noise about Augie and we have yet to have a single conversation with them."

I do know this - IMHO our coaches would rather have Augie vs. St. Thomas. All of our sports hammer the Minneapolis metro area for recruits. You elevate St. Thomas to D-I status and put them in our conference. Suddenly there is legit competition up there for recruits. It could have a fairly big impact for our sports who pull kids up there on a regular basis.
    St. Thomas will end up going D1 regardless, they'll find a home somewhere.

Leave a comment:

• MontanaRabbit
    replied

If SDSU doesn't support them, USD likely won't either because it clogs the market. I can't see ORU or WIU supporting the move because they don't want another trip to the Dakotas. It takes a simple majority and that's 4 right off the bat that I don't think will won't vote for them.

Leave a comment:

• BTownJack
    replied
    Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post

I'll say this about Augie to the Summit. I spoke with a very high ranking SDSU official and unless this person was lying, SDSU will not support Augie to the Summit League.

Leave a comment:

• MontanaRabbit
    replied

Thanks for the article. I would like to know how much any conference, especially the SL in this instance, really cares how many teams are in their league. They aren't going to keep Augie out just because it makes for an odd # of 11. Yes, I understand travel partners and an even number of teams is ideal but I'm guessing it is a minor factor considering how much movement in the college landscape there is right now.
    I'll say this about Augie to the Summit. I spoke with a very high ranking SDSU official and unless this person was lying, SDSU will not support Augie to the Summit League.

Leave a comment:

• LakeJack
    replied
    Lots of reasons to care. Start with the Benjamins. More teams more mouths to feed. Corp. Sponsorship dollars, other schools worried about another trip to SD, the list goes on and on.

However this thread is about St. Thomas, and I'm glad the news for them sounds positive. Getting the Summit League in the Twin Cities market is a good thing

Leave a comment:

• BTownJack
    replied
    Thanks for the article. I would like to know how much any conference, especially the SL in this instance, really cares how many teams are in their league. They aren't going to keep Augie out just because it makes for an odd # of 11. Yes, I understand travel partners and an even number of teams is ideal but I'm guessing it is a minor factor considering how much movement in the college landscape there is right now.

Leave a comment:

• LakeJack
    replied
    https://www.inforum.com/bison-media-...nBKE7k.twitter

Leave a comment:

Working...
X