Summit League Post-Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Summit League Post-Season

Maybe the Argus just figured USD would have been a 14 seed and would have been taken down in the 1st round. Or maybe the folks at the Argus have already forgotten SDSU's win. Either way, its a dumb question.

As for JT's statement, he's wrong about one thing. It is MUCH better to win a 1st round game in the NCAA than making a run in the WNIT. As Zimmer stated in a Tweet the other night, and I paraphrase; the SDSU performance in the NCAA this year will be remembered far more than a run in the WNIT (including ours in 2014). Where the USD run helps, maybe now people will see more than just SDSU when talking about the Summit League. If we get upset in the SLT I want our team to have a shot at an at-large.

That said, it is time for us to get into the Sweet 16 or Elite 8 and with what we have coming back and what we have coming in it can be done in the next two years.

Originally posted by SanDakotaState View Post
    I think people got tired of making the NCAA tournament and losing in the 1st round by 20 points. I think that run in WNIT helped SDSU the past few years in the big dance. It gave this years Junior and Seniors experience in making a long post-season run besides in the SLT. A 1st round NCAA loss is still better than a deep WNIT but there are advantages in making a deep WNIT especially with a younger team. I don't know how much this helps USD in the future with them being an older, senior lead team. Regardless, good for usd and the Summit League.

"JT
    ‏@JtESPN991
    Scenes like tonight in Vermillion are why mid majors are way better off making a deep run in the NIT than a early exit from NCAA imo"

JT is a Sioux Falls Sports Radio Personality.

Argus Leader SportsVerified account
    ‏@ArgusSports
    Poll: What's better? A #WNIT championship game or #NCAA berth and lose in first round?

It's only fitting that the Argus would come up with this question.
    People in this area are showing how dumb they are. NCAA tournament will always be >>>> WNIT/NIT

Comment

The merits of having success in the NIT vs. going 1 or 2 and done in the bid dance can be debated. However, how much fun would it be if basketball was split into divisions like football? Sure, it's fun to see how we can do against the big dogs, but there's only so far a team like SDSU or other mid majors can make it in the NCAA tournament. If you had a 16 or even 32 team tournament for the power 5 teams, then either a 32 or 64 team tournament for the rest of division 1 basketball, I think it would be better/more entertaining on both ends. Thoughts?

Comment

Sandakota has it right. We were tired of losing in the first round and the wnit was a nice change, winning postseason games. But now that we were 1 pt from a sweet 16, the wnit is nothing. I guess we will find oit everyones attitude when the wnit comes calling again. I hope its a long time before that happens. I will still be there supporting them

Comment

Guess the Argus should ask the teams. both SDSU and USD since they have been in both situations. which would they want, a deep Wnit run, maybe win it, or probably a 1st round loss in the NCAA tourney. My guess is rather convincingly that the teams would all want to be in the NCAA tourney. The wnit and nit for the men is a nice consolation prize for sure.
          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

USD is fortunate that they haven't had to travel for the semi-final and championship games, while in both cases their opponents have a day less to rest and prepare, in addition to a long flight. If the Yotes shoot like last night they can beat almost anyone. Those who watch a lot of basketball realize the law of averages always kicks in with 3 point %. The Yotes have to hope that doesn't happen all in one game.

Comment

I'm sure if the puppies win the wnit we will be having to read about how they won a "National Championship". Fine, gloat, rub it in our little bunny noses. But remember puppies. It's only a National Tourney Championship not the other. After saturday if you ask anyone not in the general area of South Dakota who won the WNIT I have a feeling you will hear a lot of "what's the WNIT and I don't knows". Good job puppies and have fun looking up at the big banner you will have hanging in your new place.

As far as a P5 tournament and an FCS type tournament for the rest of us. Aren't there enough tournaments already and doesn't it take away the thrill of the little guy upsetting the big guy for a chance for the big prize.

Comment

This run by the Coyotes is great. It brings a bit more credibility to the Summit. The Coyotes have been near the top or at the top of the Summit for several years. If they can bring some game again next year with the change of personnel, that will be the acid test for Williams(if she is still there) and USD. The Summit needs to have better competition from all schools. We saw that the men's conference has stiffened as it checked in at #11 RPI for conferences this year. It will be a plus for the women to step up as well. I know that no one is ready to think about 4 losses winning the WBB regular conference at this time, but it may be a reality if the rest of the conference steps up. An at large for one of the South Dakota teams should be at least in the conversation for the selection committee if both teams continue to shine next year.
                Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
                  I'm sure if the puppies win the wnit we will be having to read about how they won a "National Championship". Fine, gloat, rub it in our little bunny noses. But remember puppies. It's only a National Tourney Championship not the other. After saturday if you ask anyone not in the general area of South Dakota who won the WNIT I have a feeling you will hear a lot of "what's the WNIT and I don't knows". Good job puppies and have fun looking up at the big banner you will have hanging in your new place.

As far as a P5 tournament and an FCS type tournament for the rest of us. Aren't there enough tournaments already and doesn't it take away the thrill of the little guy upsetting the big guy for a chance for the big prize.
                  I've seen the idea of splitting the tourney into 2 and hate it. I was bored this morning, and was tired of hearing from relatives that USD pounded a P5 so I looked back to our first year in D1 and calculated the wins we have had over P5 (P7 in BB) schools by conference. It is pretty crazy how successful we have been against the larger conferences. I don't think we are far off from being able to compete with all but the top 10 schools. I would like to see us get that shot.

PAC12 - 8 wins (including 2 over Oregon)
                  Big East - 5 wins (not including Creighton)
                  SEC - 4 wins
                  ACC - 3 wins
                  BIG - 7 wins (including 3 over Minnesota)
                  Big 12 - 4 wins

Comment

Every team wants to be in the NCAA Tourney, therefore, it is a good measuring stick. In the NIT and WNIT, some of the P5 teams are offended by being there. It seems it is more of a stepping stone for low to mid-major programs. It still takes a great team to get as far as USD has. Congrats to them.

Comment

http://sdsufans.com/board/showthread...What-s-it-mean

Comment

• Summit League Post-Season

All I know is that a deep WNIT run is one hell of a nice consolation prize if you miss out on the NCAA. I'd never chose it over a SLT championship, but the SDSU runs in the WNIT were a lot of fun to watch. USD fans tried to mock us for enjoying it the last time but now they are seeing it themselves. The diehards often don't want to hear this but this IS ultimately about entertainment for fans, anyway.

How long before the Williams job offer rumors get going? I imagine she'll have opportunities if she wants to move up.

Comment

It's good news for the Summit League to have success in both the WNIT and NCAA. For South Dakota, the biggest possible crowds would have been SDSU to get that Stanford victory, and then have played in Sioux Falls. The fact that the Summit League NCAA participant didn't get placed into the Sioux Falls region speaks volumes that Summit League still needs to grow its brand/recognition with the selection committee.

Good luck to USD, bring home the WNIT title, and pack in the fans one last time to DakotaDome BB. Playing BB in a football stadium should create a great home team advantage.

BTW the USD win over Oregon, was one of those great games where all went well for the Yotes. 15/21 from deep is a virtually never seen type game. Glad Yotes didn't have that vs Jacks in Summit tourney.

Comment

I may have poked fun at the article from 2 years ago about SDSU's WNIT run but USD's run through the WNIT has absolutely ignited the fanbase. We're talking about a probable sellout by tomorrow. Think about that. The USD/SDSU game in Vermillion this year had 3600 people, and that includes probably 500-1000 SDSU fans. We're talking about 8,000 COYOTE fans walking through the door on Saturday. In no way am I saying I'd rather be playing in the WNIT over the NCAA Tournament but just the momentum from this run will do wonders for the new arena. What better way to close the dome era than winning a WNIT Championship on your home floor.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
                              All I know is that a deep WNIT run is one hell of a nice consolation prize if you miss out on the NCAA. I'd never chose it over a SLT championship, but the SDSU runs in the WNIT were a lot of fun to watch. USD fans tried to mock us for enjoying it the last time but now they are seeing it themselves. The diehards often don't want to hear this but this IS ultimately about entertainment for fans, anyway.

How long before the Williams job offer rumors get going? I imagine she'll have opportunities if she wants to move up.
                              i'd be willing to bet she has been contacted at least a few times, and, it's most likely to grow as openings become available. just not gonna hear about many of them. who knows, she may be very happy down in vermillion (with new arena and recruiting seems to be going pretty well). may take a pretty big offer to pry her away.

Comment

Originally posted by FeaRed View Post
                                I may have poked fun at the article from 2 years ago about SDSU's WNIT run but USD's run through the WNIT has absolutely ignited the fanbase. We're talking about a probable sellout by tomorrow. Think about that. The USD/SDSU game in Vermillion this year had 3600 people, and that includes probably 500-1000 SDSU fans. We're talking about 8,000 COYOTE fans walking through the door on Saturday. In no way am I saying I'd rather be playing in the WNIT over the NCAA Tournament but just the momentum from this run will do wonders for the new arena. What better way to close the dome era than winning a WNIT Championship on your home floor.
                                I agree completely. The WNIT was a great stepping stone for our program, and that first run before we were eligible for the NCAA's was a special moment. I'll never forget the atmosphere when we beat Indiana in that first WNIT.

Enjoy the moment!

Comment

Working...
                                X