2015-2016 Road to Sioux Falls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2015-2016 Road to Sioux Falls

The race for 8th and 1st got more interesting tonight.

MBB Final: WIU 83, Omaha 76.

WIU picks up their first conference win. Omaha drops out of the tie for 1st.

Comment

MBB Final W Ill 83 -- UNO 76

Wow, did not see that coming!

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
        MBB Final W Ill 83 -- UNO 76

Wow, did not see that coming!
        This shows you what is possible this year, both in the regular season and Sioux Falls. Thank you WIU!

Comment

Originally posted by YanktonJack7 View Post
          The race for 8th and 1st got more interesting tonight.

MBB Final: WIU 83, Omaha 76.

WIU picks up their first conference win. Omaha drops out of the tie for 1st.
          That really helps SDSU! Big game on Saturday.

And USD better get their crap together.
          Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
            That really helps SDSU! Big game on Saturday.

And USD better get their crap together.
            We are in trouble. Way to many playground players

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
              Nothing looks particularly playground about the way they play. I mean this in the least smack-ish way possible, they just aren't that good. I think Smith is a good coach; he just doesn't have a very talented roster right now.
              Originally posted by JackFan96
              Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                Nothing looks particularly playground about the way they play. I mean this in the least smack-ish way possible, they just aren't that good. I think Smith is a good coach; he just doesn't have a very talented roster right now.
                Don't take it as smacking. Playground ball by my definition is playing one on one. Kasperbauer and Robertson the exceptions. To many guys have deviated from team ball.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
                  This shows you what is possible this year, both in the regular season and Sioux Falls. Thank you WIU!
                  This game also shows what foul trouble can do to a team. Jake White fouled out for UNO with 21 pts and 13 brds in 19 minutes. Pretty sure it's a different outcome if he plays his normal 35 min. A lot of injuries during his career but really play well now. Down the stretch he's going to be a real pain in to deal with for Summitt bigs.
                  Nothing better than "motorboating" the Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by GoldCountryJack View Post
                    This game also shows what foul trouble can do to a team. Jake White fouled out for UNO with 21 pts and 13 brds in 19 minutes. Pretty sure it's a different outcome if he plays his normal 35 min. A lot of injuries during his career but really play well now. Down the stretch he's going to be a real pain in to deal with for Summitt bigs.
                    It would have been great if SDSU had landed Jake White. He was very noticeable in the UNO-SDSU game. A tough guy to stop in the paint.

Comment

White puts so much pressure because he attacks nearly every touch. I'll be curious to see what Nagy does with him next time. I'd like to see us send two guys at him and have their guards hit some jumpers. One guard shoots better than 34%. White will force nearly everything as the 9 assists on the year show.
                      Nothing better than "motorboating" the Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
                        I like Tre Burnette, Casey Kasperbaurer probably is best shooter in the league, and the Coyotes seem to have a pretty good bench. But you're right about the importance of playing team ball. The line between the top teams and bottom teams is pretty thin. Playing team ball can make a big difference.
                        This space for lease.

Comment

The box score also shows that Hollins had zero steals in 36 minutes. Leathernecks only turned the ball over 9 times. The Leathernecks shot 20 more free throws than the Mavs which means the refs did not let the Mavs get too sticky on the defensive pressure. Patterson fouled out in addition to White. I did not watch the game to notice if WIU played aggressive on offense to get the extra free throws. Covington had 11 attempts of the 34. The Yotes go to Macomb the last day of the conference season. That could be a big game for both teams if things do not change dramatically.
                          Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

I was impressed with WIU when they were in Brookings at beginning of the conference schedule. They gave the Jacks all they wanted and I'm very surprised by their season, but think they have talent and are dangerous.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                              I like Tre Burnette, Casey Kasperbaurer probably is best shooter in the league, and the Coyotes seem to have a pretty good bench. But you're right about the importance of playing team ball. The line between the top teams and bottom teams is pretty thin. Playing team ball can make a big difference.
                              I guess I'm going to disagree. To me they just don't have the defensive talent.

Yes Kasperbauer can shoot, but he is a negative literally everywhere else on the court. I don't think people realize how huge it is that almost every person on SDSU's roster is an average to plus defender. When Telly has been in his slump, he's stepped up everywhere else. If Kasperbauer has an off night offensively, there's nothing else he can do really. And he's getting the most minutes on the team! If the guy who gets the most minutes has one good skill, and brings nothing else to the court realistically, that's not good.

And honestly, that's the biggest thing. Yoteforever talked about playground ball, which usually refers (and he can correct me if I'm wrong here) to the offensive end. But USD isn't horrible offensively. They rank 164rd in D1 in offensive efficiency. Not amazing, but not awful. To put that in perspective, they're 5th in the Summit in offensive efficiency. Middle of the pack.

Defensively? Yikes. USD ranks 261st in defensive efficiency. Lower third of D1 and last in the Summit. That's what happens when you play guys like Kasperbauer 30+ minutes a game. USD's problem isn't offensively, or playing too much streetball, or whatever. It's the fact that they don't have the talent to compete defensively with the top teams in the Summit. Maybe some of it is coaching/scheme as well. I haven't watched enough USD to really look into that aspect of it, but I do know that guys like Kasperbauer are a sieve on defense, and Summit League teams are feasting.

(All offensive and defensive stats are from KenPom.com.)
                              Originally posted by JackFan96
                              Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

RabbitObsessed hit the nail on the head, and I'll point out they are not only a bad defensive team, but they are a bad rebounding team as well.

USD has a -4.6 rebounding margin, second worst in the league. Compare this with SDSU, who has a +5.3 margin, far and away better than second best NSDU at +2.4.

Comment

Working...
                                X