Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2015-2016 Women's Mid-Major Poll

SDSU remains #2 in ESPNs Mid Major Poll while USD improves to #7

Graham Hayes does a really job covering women's basketball. I recommend reading the little article before the rankings.

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-ba...major-rankings

Comment

Originally posted by SanDakotaState View Post
      SDSU remains #2 in ESPNs Mid Major Poll while USD improves to #7

Graham Hayes does a really job covering women's basketball. I recommend reading the little article before the rankings.

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-ba...major-rankings
      An interesting bit of info shared in the Hayes write-up.

that particular trait (low turnovers) is a new development. South Dakota State ranks 11th nationally in fewest turnovers per game. It finished last season 91st in that category but ranked outside the top 100, and sometimes the top 200, in each of the five seasons before that. Not since the 2008-09 team, one of the best mid-major teams of this century, has South Dakota State been this good at taking care of the ball.

Now that he mentions it, I notice we spend a whole lot less time complaining about turnovers than we used to here at the forum. I thought that high turnovers must just come with the style of play AJ prefers, but this year is showing otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
        An interesting bit of info shared in the Hayes write-up.

that particular trait (low turnovers) is a new development. South Dakota State ranks 11th nationally in fewest turnovers per game. It finished last season 91st in that category but ranked outside the top 100, and sometimes the top 200, in each of the five seasons before that. Not since the 2008-09 team, one of the best mid-major teams of this century, has South Dakota State been this good at taking care of the ball.

Now that he mentions it, I notice we spend a whole lot less time complaining about turnovers than we used to here at the forum. I thought that high turnovers must just come with the style of play AJ prefers, but this year is showing otherwise.
        I think AJ has alluded to the low TO rate and excellent ball handling by commenting that sometimes we have 5 players on the court that can play point guard,that equates to pretty good ball handling skills and low TO's.Plus,our players are really diciplined and smart,make good decisions on passes,a lot better this year it seems.This is really impressive considering how deep the team is and how much we substitute players in/out.

Comment

Is there a stat that measures pace or speed of play ? Maybe # of possessions. It seems to me, and I may be imagining things, that we aren't pushing the ball or fast breaking quite as much as in the past. Maybe part of that has been the toughness of the schedule and the pace will pick up as we get in conference play.

Comment

Part of the low turnovers is that Jacks play 5 point guards in their rotation. Don't believe Jacks have had so many sure hands available at same time.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
              Is there a stat that measures pace or speed of play ? Maybe # of possessions. It seems to me, and I may be imagining things, that we aren't pushing the ball or fast breaking quite as much as in the past. Maybe part of that has been the toughness of the schedule and the pace will pick up as we get in conference play.
              Pomeroy does that on the men's side. I don't know if anybody does anything similar for women's CBB.
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

That was something I was thinking too about this team. And also the overall depth isnt nearly as deep as it has been in the past. Seems like we are really only counting on about 6-7 players really contributing, when before it was easy to have 8-10 having a major impact. Actually seems like the mens team has more depth or plays deeper then the womens team, which I dont think that has happened since the D-2 days when Nagy use to play a very deep bench.
                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                  That was something I was thinking too about this team. And also the overall depth isnt nearly as deep as it has been in the past. Seems like we are really only counting on about 6-7 players really contributing, when before it was easy to have 8-10 having a major impact. Actually seems like the mens team has more depth or plays deeper then the womens team, which I dont think that has happened since the D-2 days when Nagy use to play a very deep bench.
                  8-9 players have been contributing all season long imo. It might not be 8-9 players offensively but it is defensively.

Comment

To get the players that haven't been playing much the game experience they need, the starters and the first players off the bench have to play well and get us a good cushion, so that the coaching staff can feel more comfortable giving these players the time they need to develop. Seems like we get out to about a 10-12 pt lead, but can't expand the lead any larger. So, we don't play the ones that need a little more time to develop their game. To bad,they aren't getting a whole lot of experience this year.

Comment

Minutes per game, last season, Jackrabbit WBB team (by top scoring average):
                      9 players, 10 minutes or more per game average.
                      8 players, 15 minutes or more per game average.
                      5 players, 20 minutes or more per game average.

This season:
                      8 players, 10 minutes or more per game average.
                      6 players, 20 minutes or more per game average.

I guess I don't see a huge difference in the rotation, as expressed in minutes played per game, between last year and this year in terms of minutes played.

The leading scorer this year, Miller, is at 17.5 ppt vs. Waytashek last year at 14.1, so this team might possibly be a bit more "star-oriented" than last year's team was. Miller is the 30 minutes-per-game player. Having a go-to no-doubt "this-is-our-star-player" is not necessarily either a good thing or a bad thing, but is sort of new territory for recent SDSU women's basketball.
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Wonder what the bench scoring normally is fo the womens team. I don't feel like the bench is going to contribute huge points this year. Maybe they are about the same.
                        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                          Minutes per game, last season, Jackrabbit WBB team (by top scoring average):
                          9 players, 10 minutes or more per game average.
                          5 players, 20 minutes or more per game average.

This season:
                          8 players, 10 minutes or more per game average.
                          6 players, 20 minutes or more per game average.

I guess I don't see a huge difference in the rotation, as expressed in minutes played per game, between last year and this year in terms of minutes played.

The leading scorer this year, Miller, is at 17.5 ppt vs. Waytashek last year at 14.1, so this team might possibly be a bit more "star-oriented" than last year's team was. Miller is the 30 minutes-per-game player. Having a go-to no-doubt "this-is-our-star-player" is not necessarily either a good thing or a bad thing, but is sort of new territory for recent SDSU women's basketball.
                          Wonder if stevens would have stayed if that would change it a lot. Probably make out bench more dynamic with ober or thompson or guebert coming off the bench. Team would be one more deep says capt obvious.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                            Wonder what the bench scoring normally is fo the womens team. I don't feel like the bench is going to contribute huge points this year. Maybe they are about the same.
                            This year's bench is more defensive oriented than in the past when there was a scorer like Kerri or Jill Young coming in. Now Boever, Alexander and Cornemann often spark a run when they come in as a unit not because they are great scorers but because the defensive intensity gets cranked up with them on the floor.

Comment

This year's bench is more defensive oriented than in the past when there was a scorer like Kerri or Jill Young coming in. Now Boever, Alexander and Cornemann often spark a run when they come in as a unit not because they are great scorers but because the defensive intensity gets cranked up with them on the floor.
                              I don't know, I look at Boever and when she comes in I expect her to score. Any points from Chloe for me are pure bonus as it is her tenacity on D that makes her so valuable and her scoring is up this year, if I am not mistaken. Lexie is getting better and better. We have a solid 8 that are very good. The next few off the bench may not get as many minutes as past bench players, but that may have something to do with the players on the floor are earning more minutes and it is hard to sit them down. I really feel that the team we have this year is good, bordering on VERY good and honestly the Jacks are young. As strong as we are this year, I think next year is the one that is going to be special. Just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by leeshajo View Post
                                I don't know, I look at Boever and when she comes in I expect her to score. Any points from Chloe for me are pure bonus as it is her tenacity on D that makes her so valuable and her scoring is up this year, if I am not mistaken. Lexie is getting better and better. We have a solid 8 that are very good. The next few off the bench may not get as many minutes as past bench players, but that may have something to do with the players on the floor are earning more minutes and it is hard to sit them down. I really feel that the team we have this year is good, bordering on VERY good and honestly the Jacks are young. As strong as we are this year, I think next year is the one that is going to be special. Just my opinion.
                                All solid points that I agree with,to elaborate on Chloe,she was a person possessed in the NCAA tournament game against OSU and I was very impressed how she played in that game.She literally tore the basketball from Hamblin's grasp on a lob in attempt to her and made her fall down as she was already headed downcourt on a fast break.Ruth Hamblin is a big woman and she doesn't see the floor a whole lot.Chloe's a Cornemann after all,just a real beast when she sets her mind to it.This year can be great too,if we can get that type of intensity going from all twelve players in the post season,if we are so fortunate enough to again play post season .

Comment

Working...
                                X