2015 Summit MBB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2015 Summit MBB

I'm starting to enjoy the relative lack of respect it seems most of the media I've seen have for the Jackrabbit men.

For instance, i wonder how that "inconsistent" Jackrabbit offense still somehow managed to be the #2 scoring offense in the league, and this is paired with the #2 scoring defense in the league as well.

Last Game Syndrome.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by YanktonJack7 View Post
      Jeremy Hoeck of the Press and Dakotan predicted the Denver men to win the SL tourney and USD (shocker) to win the women's tourney.

He thinks ORU will knock off the SDSU women and that the USD men will beat SDSU.

He calls the Coyotes the "hottest team in the league." No mention that the Jacks have won 12 of 14, however.

Also says he doesn't see the Jacks having a "consistent offense," but yet USD apparently does.

I can't wait until the tournament.

https://pressdakotan.wordpress.com/
      Denver won 3 of their last 10 games, against UNO, USD and Western ILL. And he picks them to win it. Im sure because they beat the red hot coyotes in vermillion

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
        Denver won 3 of their last 10 games, against UNO, USD and Western ILL. And he picks them to win it. Im sure because they beat the red hot coyotes in vermillion
        Of course. He also has ORU beating the women, a team that SDSU beat by 25 and 14. Makes sense

Comment

• 2015 Summit MBB

USD vs Denver in the men's final and ORU vs USD in the women's final? I guess if you are going to go out on a limb in your projections you might as well go WAY out there!

I still can't get over how the "hottest team in the league" got destroyed (on their home court) by #7 Denver just six short days ago.

Comment

I do think Denver could beat NDSU but they are a team that needs to shoot at a high level to win games, that isn't happening three times in four days. People are going a bit crazy with the parity stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by YanktonJack7 View Post
              Jeremy Hoeck of the Press and Dakotan predicted the Denver men to win the SL tourney and USD (shocker) to win the women's tourney.

He thinks ORU will knock off the SDSU women and that the USD men will beat SDSU.

He calls the Coyotes the "hottest team in the league." No mention that the Jacks have won 12 of 14, however.

Also says he doesn't see the Jacks having a "consistent offense," but yet USD apparently does.

I can't wait until the tournament.

https://pressdakotan.wordpress.com/
              Why do I keep hearing that USD is the hottest MBB team in the league? Is everyone forgetting they got pummeled at home by a 7th seeded Denver team a week ago? Or that, included in their 5 for 6 streak, are victories against IUPUI, Omaha, and Avila? Or how convenient it is to look at just the last 6 games, because if you looked at the last 7 there would be a glaring, woodshed beating by NDSU? It takes some pretty heavy blinders to think the Coyotes are playing some of the best basketball in the league.

The fact is the Coyotes have some good perimeter shooters who, if hot, can upset some better basketball teams. They don't have an inside scoring threat and other than maybe Tyler Larson, don't have players who can consistently get to the rim on the offensive end. Their team defense is decent, but they lack the individual athleticism to lock down opposing scoring threats, so they have to give extra space and dig on penetration and therefore are depended on the other team missing shots as well (and they won't have a dome to assist them with that).

Quite frankly, I'll be surprised if they beat IPFW, let alone win 3 games in 3 days.
              If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
              - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
                I do think Denver could beat NDSU but they are a team that needs to shoot at a high level to win games, that isn't happening three times in four days. People are going a bit crazy with the parity stuff.
                The parity angle is really exaggerated.I guess it's a good story.

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
                  Denver can beat anybody.

Beating anybody, three nights in a row, is another thing entirely.
                  "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

In order to beat SDSU in their last home game, USD had to:

shoot 47.2% from the field, better than their season average of 42.0% (SDSU's season defensive average is 37.7%). USD shot five percentage points better than their season average, and nearly ten points better than SDSU's defensive average.
                    Shoot 50.0% from 3-point range, better than their season average of 36.3%. (SDSU's season defensive average vs. 3-point shooting is 33.7%). USD shot nearly 14 percentage points better than their season average, and sixteen points better than SDSU's defensive average.
                    Shoot 83.3% on 20-24 free throws, better than their season average of 73.7% (on 13.9 of 18.9 average free throw shooting over the season);

Meanwhile, SDSU:
                    Shot 33.9% from the field, less than their season average of 45.8% (USD's season defensive average is 44.7%). SDSU shot nearly 12 percentage points under their season average, and nearly 11 percentage points under what USD has given up over the course of this season.
                    Shot 33.3% from 3 point range, less than their season average of 37.7% (USD's season defensive average is 33.2%), four percentage points under their season average, but pretty much equal to USD's average defensive effort.
                    Shot 72.2% on 13 of 18 free throws (SDSU's season average free throw shooting is 70.3% on 15.9 of 22.6 average free throw shooting over the season).

So, of all of those statistical trends, the only ones that held anywhere close to true to form were SDSU's 3-point shooting vs. USD's 3-point defense, and SDSU's free throw shooting which was actually slightly better in the USD game than it has been overall in the season. Every other trend was, in that game, wildly in USD's favor.

So here's the capsule summary of the USD-SDSU game in the DakotaDome:
                    USD shot better from the field than their average, and much better from the field than SDSU on average allows. USD shot much better from 3-point range than their average, and even better than that than SDSU on average allows. On the other hand, SDSU shot much worse from the field than their season average and also much worse than USD's average season defense would indicate. And SDSU's 3-point shooting was off, by a little bit as well.

On this basis, some in the media conclude that USD will win the Summit League tournament.

Oooo-kay.
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
                      Of course. He also has ORU beating the women, a team that SDSU beat by 25 and 14. Makes sense
                      No way in hell the Jacks lose to ORU in the semis. Like you pointed out, SDSU has the Eagles number this year. SDSU is arguably playing the best out of any team right now. The defense is finally clicking. Plus Stevens will be back.

I have to wonder if people do their homework before making predictions. Kolpack and Hoeck are going to look pretty silly after the tournament is over.

Comment

Hoeck is a USD homer, he might as well be paid by USD...maybe he is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

I think we need to play the games. This will clear up all this wild stuff that's in the air coming out of Yankton in particular.
                          Last edited by Nidaros; 03-05-2015, 09:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                            In order to beat SDSU in their last home game, USD had to:

shoot 47.2% from the field, better than their season average of 42.0% (SDSU's season defensive average is 37.7%). USD shot five percentage points better than their season average, and nearly ten points better than SDSU's defensive average.
                            Shoot 50.0% from 3-point range, better than their season average of 36.3%. (SDSU's season defensive average vs. 3-point shooting is 33.7%). USD shot nearly 14 percentage points better than their season average, and sixteen points better than SDSU's defensive average.
                            Shoot 83.3% on 20-24 free throws, better than their season average of 73.7% (on 13.9 of 18.9 average free throw shooting over the season);

Meanwhile, SDSU:
                            Shot 33.9% from the field, less than their season average of 45.8% (USD's season defensive average is 44.7%). SDSU shot nearly 12 percentage points under their season average, and nearly 11 percentage points under what USD has given up over the course of this season.
                            Shot 33.3% from 3 point range, less than their season average of 37.7% (USD's season defensive average is 33.2%), four percentage points under their season average, but pretty much equal to USD's average defensive effort.
                            Shot 72.2% on 13 of 18 free throws (SDSU's season average free throw shooting is 70.3% on 15.9 of 22.6 average free throw shooting over the season).

So, of all of those statistical trends, the only ones that held anywhere close to true to form were SDSU's 3-point shooting vs. USD's 3-point defense, and SDSU's free throw shooting which was actually slightly better in the USD game than it has been overall in the season. Every other trend was, in that game, wildly in USD's favor.

So here's the capsule summary of the USD-SDSU game in the DakotaDome:
                            USD shot better from the field than their average, and much better from the field than SDSU on average allows. USD shot much better from 3-point range than their average, and even better than that than SDSU on average allows. On the other hand, SDSU shot much worse from the field than their season average and also much worse than USD's average season defense would indicate. And SDSU's 3-point shooting was off, by a little bit as well.

On this basis, some in the media conclude that USD will win the Summit League tournament.

Oooo-kay.
                            I didn't look at it this close but what I looked at is Reed was 2-9, Parks was 2-10 and Marshall was 2-11. If any of those guys hit some shots, it would have been a much different game. You can't juts have 2 players play good (Larson and Bittle) and win on their road when the other team is shooting lights out.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
                              I didn't look at it this close but what I looked at is Reed was 2-9, Parks was 2-10 and Marshall was 2-11. If any of those guys hit some shots, it would have been a much different game. You can't juts have 2 players play good (Larson and Bittle) and win on their road when the other team is shooting lights out.
                              Can I add that as far as following shots to try and get boards, these were also the only 2 doing this as well

Comment

Summit Awards...

Newcomer: Parks - SDSU
                                6th Man: Werner - NDSU
                                Def Player: Larson - SDSU
                                Coach: Richman: - NDSU
                                POY: Alexander: - NDSU

FIRST TEAM
                                Name, School Pos. Yr.
                                Lawrence Alexander, North Dakota State G Sr.
                                Obi Emegano, Oral Roberts G Jr.
                                Steve Forbes, Fort Wayne F Sr.
                                Cody Larson, South Dakota State F Sr.
                                Tyler Larson, South Dakota G Sr.
                                Deondre Parks, South Dakota State G Jr.

SECOND TEAM
                                Korey Billbury, Oral Roberts G Jr.
                                CJ Carter, Omaha G Sr.
                                Garret Covington, Western Illinois G So.
                                George Marshall, South Dakota State G Jr.
                                Brett Olson, Denver G Sr.

HONORABLE MENTION
                                Marcellus Barksdale, IUPUI G Jr.
                                Jake Bittle, South Dakota State G Jr.
                                Joe Edwards, Fort Wayne G Sr.
                                A.J. Jacobson, North Dakota State G/F Fr.
                                Mike Rostampour, Omaha F Sr.

ALL-NEWCOMER
                                Tre Burnette, South Dakota G Jr.
                                A.J. Jacobson, North Dakota State G/F Fr.
                                Max Landis, Fort Wayne G Jr.
                                George Marshall, South Dakota State G Jr.
                                Deondre Parks, South Dakota State G Jr.

Comment

Working...
                                X