Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2015 Summit MBB

Originally posted by SDSUSmitty View Post
    Very true, but a new stadium doesn't guarantee anything. I've been in Cameron Indoor stadium at Duke (although not for a game), but it has no amenities, its small, very cramped....and they seem to be doing OK because they have one of the greatest coaches off all time. If USD becomes a top program in the Summit its because of their coach not where they play.
    I completely agree.

Comment

I'm seriously wondering if our melatonin levels are out of whack or other seasonal affective disorders are creeping up. Just got updated on the transition from TV to Matt Zimmer and now this thread is getting feisty. The best medicine for fighting this syndrome is more sunlight and of course - winning the Summit again! This board may actually get giddy when we win both.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
        And that's how you immediately lose credibility. I've been to five or six games at the dome over the past three years and don't know how anyone could make this statement with a straight face.
        Just tell me, no, sell me on what makes Frost so special of a place to watch a game? I admit the Dome is horrible for a game atmosphere, but Frost is at best so so. That's at best. You walk in and ascend stairs. Your concessions are a joke, as are ours. One advantage to the Dome is at least you can see the game.

Now if you're telling me you are getting a new arena, that's great. I want to see both schools dominate this league. But I see no where on the horizon, other than fan board wish list chat, that says you're getting a new arena. No where. Renovating Frost would be like flushing money down a toilet. The only thing you can save is the wood floor. In 2 years, I'm betting we will be in a brand new, damned nice arena, with most amenities, and you will be sitting in a non renovated Frost trying to look over people and other obstructions. Standing in line 15 minutes to get a treat. Don't shoot the messenger because you don't like the message.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
          And that's how you immediately lose credibility. I've been to five or six games at the dome over the past three years and don't know how anyone could make this statement with a straight face.
          i don't have credibility with you anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
            I stopped reading after that sentence.
            Because big words trip you up?

Comment

The plans are in the facilities master plan on GoJacks.com. They have been shared on this board numerous times. It won't happen in two years, but it will happen sooner than later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
                Just tell me, no, sell me on what makes Frost so special of a place to watch a game? I admit the Dome is horrible for a game atmosphere, but Frost is at best so so. That's at best. You walk in and ascend stairs. Your concessions are a joke, as are ours. One advantage to the Dome is at least you can see the game.

Now if you're telling me you are getting a new arena, that's great. I want to see both schools dominate this league. But I see no where on the horizon, other than fan board wish list chat, that says you're getting a new arena. No where. Renovating Frost would be like flushing money down a toilet. The only thing you can save is the wood floor. In 2 years, I'm betting we will be in a brand new, damned nice arena, with most amenities, and you will be sitting in a non renovated Frost trying to look over people and other obstructions. Standing in line 15 minutes to get a treat. Don't shoot the messenger because you don't like the message.
                We had a 30 game win streak in that dump, then lost a couple now we are at 15 or 16, cant remember. Until you can prove you can win in your new arena, i'll take our home court advantage in our dump anyday. Oh and how did that 20pt head start turn out a few weeks ago for you?

Comment

I always feel like I have decent opinion on USD vs. SDSU issues. Grew up going to games in the Dome, and I loved it. I went to some amazing games there, and have some great memories. But it can't compare to Frost. It just can't. I don't care about amenities like some people do, so I won't take that into account. But atmosphere, game production, fan participation, are all better at Frost. Is it perfect? Nope. But it's miles beyond the Dome.
                  Originally posted by JackFan96
                  Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

I guess I can understand why visitors don't like Frost. Their team never wins there.

It's pretty much a fact that the atmosphere in Frost is better than the D-Dome and it will still be better when the USD moves to their new arena. USD fans aren't showing up now when they are in contention for a top 3 seed. Are their going to show up just because of a new arena? USD is averaging about 1600 so far in their home conference games. You need fans to fill that new fancy arena. It will look just like the Mabee Center in Tulsa, IUPUI's new arena, or UNO's new arena.

SDSU will remain one of the toughest places to play in the Summit despite not being a "top notch" facility.

USD average attendance (5 games): 1600
                    SDSU average attendance (7 games): 3000

Fun Fact:
                    SDSU is the only D1 basketball program (men & women)l to win every home conference game by double-digits.

Comment

USD men beat Avila. Where or what is Avila? Never heard of them

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
                        USD men beat Avila. Where or what is Avila? Never heard of them
                        Its a school similar to Presentation or even Mount Marty.

Comment

Originally posted by SanDakotaState View Post
                          I guess I can understand why visitors don't like Frost. Their team never wins there.

It's pretty much a fact that the atmosphere in Frost is better than the D-Dome and it will still be better when the USD moves to their new arena. USD fans aren't showing up now when they are in contention for a top 3 seed. Are their going to show up just because of a new arena? USD is averaging about 1600 so far in their home conference games. You need fans to fill that new fancy arena. It will look just like the Mabee Center in Tulsa, IUPUI's new arena, or UNO's new arena.

SDSU will remain one of the toughest places to play in the Summit despite not being a "top notch" facility.

USD average attendance (5 games): 1600
                          SDSU average attendance (7 games): 3000

Fun Fact:
                          SDSU is the only D1 basketball program (men & women)l to win every home conference game by double-digits.
                          SDS,

You don't see me making fun of your program. Quite frankly, the Jacks have been a factor for the past several years. Even in the old NCC days, basketball was their sport. Your teams are good, play hard, and for the most part fun to watch. Secondly, I agree with you when you say the USD fan base doesn't back their teams very well. You're right. We don't. I hate it, but it's a fact. And to be quite frank, I'm not sure it will ever change. Obviously winning has a lot to do with that, so we will have to see. But I also know there have been times in the past where you have chimed in and said that attendance wasn't always good there either, but winning had something to do with that. Combine that with a 5 year head start in D1, much more favorable press coverage in SF, and you have it going.

But the tide is turning in basketball, both men's and women's. Our program in women has improved greatly, and it appears we are ready to contend for titles on an annual basis. That doesn't detract from SDSU, it simply says the new program on the block that's going to test you year in and year out is USD. There is a strong foundation set and in place. Regarding men's basketball, we are a long way from proclaiming we are ready to challenge for titles, but I think you'd even have to agree that things are different at USD with the hiring of Craig Smith and a very talented staff of assistant coaches. He is over .500 in the league with not very good talent. Certainly our overall talent pales in comparison to yours. He has been a winner wherever he went, so I feel real good about where we are in men's basketball.

Football is is a totally different story. I thought they had turned the corner in 2013, but I was dead wrong. I'm not sure where we are heading, and that bothers me. If we get shut out again in 15 it's gonna take years to resurrect this program. I bring up football only because if I don't, I know all of you will. The other sports are pretty much even.

But here's my argument. When the discussion about facilities takes place, and you know that Frost isn't up to speed on modernization, amenities, sight lines, handicap friendly, etc....many of you lash out and start bringing up win streaks, how excellent your fans are compared to others, and things like that. All I said, and was 100% accurate! is that when the new arena is built! with all the amenities inside, the beauty of it from the outside, how it blends into the DakotaDome, Frost will look second rate. The building. Nothing more. And when you combine that with a new coach whose history is a winning one, with recruiting bases that come from hiring someone with nationwide recruiting base, I'm willing to bet we will be challenging you in a couple of years. In no way does that undermine your program, it just says, like the women, there may be a new kid on the block contending for titles....ie. USD.

I'm glad you like Frost. Much like the "new armory" at USD back in the NCC days, it does present itself as a huge home court advantage. But I would argue that's more because of the fan base than the building. Inside football vs outdoor football will always be a point of contention. In Sept and part of October, I'd rather be outside. The second half if the season, I'd rather be inside. I would bet if you polled your wives, they would vote to play inside. Just a guess. SDSU obviously feels strong about outdoor football ( you better, you have bet your future on it ), but I will bet if you slip some, and maybe aren't in playoff contention, crowds in Brookings when it's 42 and rainy and windy will be very slim. Maybe not, but I would bet I'm right.

as you know from previous posts I'm not anti SDSU. I'm one that believes two universities in SD that are strong both athletically and academically enhance the state. Many of you don't agree with that, you'd rather see the coyotes get beat in everything they play in. I get it,but I don't agree. I just don't agree with all the piddly arguments about facilities, towns, fans, etc.

I hope you are the 1 seed for the tournament and we are three. And I hope we play for the title. That would be good for the state. For those of you that cheer for NDSU over USD, watch where the revenues going. It isn't into our coffers, and it isn't into yours. It's going to Fargo.

good luck the balance of the season. May we play in both games for the title.

Comment

YFE,

They like the Frost better because it has the big doors that make it easy to back in the hog trailer for the homecoming queen presentation.

Comment

Enough, everybody.

Not a smack thread.

Clean it up, all.
                              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
                                Because big words trip you up?
                                Because while you provide valuable insight on most USD matters, comparing the Dome to Frost is not your strong suit. You were completely off base with your "what's worst Frost or the Dome" comment.

I will fully admit that I have never been to a basketball game at the Dome. However, I was there for a graduation in December, and while I struggled to see through the BLINDING lights (I felt like I should have been wearing sunglasses) I could see the basketball setup underneath the graduation podium. To be frank, I could not believe my eyes. I couldn't fathom how any fan of any school would put up with that for as long as USD fans have. You definitely deserve that new Arena you have coming.

Comment

Working...
                                X