2014 Summit tourney

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2014 Summit tourney

Saul didn't sound like he expected a big crowd going into the tournament, he said something like he had no clue how much support the team would get. I'm guessing more Bison fans would have gone on Tuesday if tickets were available.

The Woodside thing was five years in the making, it was all the media in Fargo would ever talk about from the minute that class was put together....getting to the big dance in their senior season. I'm sure more Bison fans will go next year since the team will be hyped up again but I'm not sure if I'd ever expect something like that again.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
      most of the schools didn't even know that they had formally applied, just that there had been some talks
      This is incorrect. The Summit had a site visit at Denver that was attended by representatives from all other Summit schools.

It is entirely possible that not everyone in every athletic department knew about it, but be assured that every president and likely every AD knew about Denver.

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
        more Bison fans would have gone on Tuesday if tickets were available.
        What can I say? For SDSU fans, this is our Frisco.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
          This is incorrect. The Summit had a site visit at Denver that was attended by representatives from all other Summit schools.

It is entirely possible that not everyone in every athletic department knew about it, but be assured that every president and likely every AD knew about Denver.
          I should have said athletic departments. That was straight from the NDSU AD about the Denver addition, said they had briefly talked about Denver but nothing serious. The site visits and everything formal is done by the Presidents. And it seemed to have happened real fast even from that standpoint. I'm wondering if that site visit hadn't happened before Denver joined the WAC, just personal speculation.

http://www.thedickinsonpress.com/eve...icle/id/65690/ this article has Tom Douple saying that UNC was discussed as a possible league wide member and is a little over a month old.

Comment

I'm guessing more Bison fans would have gone on Tuesday if tickets were available.
            You could say the same thing about Jacks fans.
            "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Yes it would be much easier to go to games, if you had the most important games on the weekend. This isn't exactly rocket science, people could just skip the first game if they can't get off work. I didn't go to NDSU's first game. The Summit should move to byes for the top 2 seeds and play the tournament Friday-Sunday. That would be the best for the fans that travel. The current format is absurd, if you people from further away(Michigan, Indiana and Illinois) they have to take Wednesday off as well.
              Skipping the first day of games (or actually two days) doesn't seem like a great option if you are considering total attendance and support for the tourney. And moving to byes for top two seeds? That means only six teams make the tourney...that doesn't sound great at all. The 7/2 game is typically pretty competitive.
              "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
                Skipping the first day of games (or actually two days) doesn't seem like a great option if you are considering total attendance and support for the tourney. And moving to byes for top two seeds? That means only six teams make the tourney...that doesn't sound great at all. The 7/2 game is typically pretty competitive.
                Well I think the top seeds should get a real advantage, they've earned it. I guess you could have double byes and still have eight teams involved.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                  it seemed to have happened real fast even from that standpoint. I'm wondering if that site visit hadn't happened before Denver joined the WAC
                  Denver's a Phi Beta Kappa school with an established commitment to college athletics. I don't think they needed a rigorous visit.

And it probably happened before or shortly after Denver started competing in the WAC, but not before they joined it.

As for Gene Taylor being surprised by the Denver invite, well, that's something he should take up with his boss.....

Comment

Well I think the top seeds should get a real advantage, they've earned it.
                    Even if the 2nd seed has that spot after resorting to the third tie-breaker in the conference rule book?

I hate these rigged brackets where the top seeds don't have to play as many games. No point in trying to "protect" the top seeds, like they're Faberge eggs or something. If they can't win three games against demonstrably inferior teams in four days, screw 'em. They weren't going to win a game in the tournament anyway.

Comment

Refer to the Big East as the biggest joke of a conference tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by Evolution Prime View Post
                        Refer to the Big East as the biggest joke of a conference tournament.
                        But it's on ESPN! It can't be a joke! I mean . . . Syracuse! Louisville! Georgetown! Villanova!

. . .

Oh.

Never mind, then.

heh.
                        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

"I think we'll be OK" I really do. Think tomatoes, be a farmer. No smack intended

Comment

As long as we are reviewing some other conference tournaments, ORU lost in the Southland semifinal at Katy, Tx in front of 1460 people. It reinforces the idea that football may be more important there. 1460 might show up for a high schol football practice in Texas. The Onion knew that no one would have noticed a reference to that event.
                            Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Let Coach Phillips and the Forum work on the NDSU fans. As far as I'm concerned, I'm content to have SDSU fans buy up all the tickets (as we are continuing to do). Jackrabbit nation will continue to help its teams win games, and that might even come in a tournament where NDSU is the favorite (didn't realize that was already a fact, although I read in an earlier post that it is...so it must be true).

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                                Let Coach Phillips and the Forum work on the NDSU fans. As far as I'm concerned, I'm content to have SDSU fans buy up all the tickets (as we are continuing to do). Jackrabbit nation will continue to help its teams win games, and that might even come in a tournament where NDSU is the favorite (didn't realize that was already a fact, although I read in an earlier post that it is...so it must be true).
                                You can't put anything on the internet that isn't true.
                                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Working...
                                X