X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2014 Summit tourney

Originally posted by filbert View Post
    Here's what you do, if you're the Summit League:

You set aside X tickets for corporate sponsors. Those can be the bestest, most wonderful seats in the house. We all know that's how the world works.

You then set aside Y tickets for the general public. Those should, for general marketing purposes, be the next-best seats. If you wanna stand in line for those tickets, go for it.

Then, you divide up the rest of the house, allocating equal numbers of seats to all the conference members, and have the individual schools allocate those tickets by whatever method seems best to each individual school.

All three of these sets of tickets go on sale at the same time. Or, alternatively, you wait a while to begin sales to the general public--this might make more sense.

Then, two weeks before the tournament, the schools must send back any unsold seats in their allocation to the conference, which then sells the remainder to the general public. With luck, the conference gets a second shot of good P.R. of news stories of crazed fans lining up to buy "the remaining tickets."

Corporate sponsors are just a small portion of the tickets. Corporate sponsors get 250 lower level tickets and each team gets 50 lower level tickets for the game to watch their team play. After game they move out and the next games fans move in to those same seats. So 350 lower tickets are for corporate sponsors and teams below. The First 8 rows in select sections above are allocated to each school before tickets go on sale. So as mentioned before you will see open seats in the first few rows during most games, go sit in them. It makes it easier this year since you do not have to worry about losing your general admission seat since all tickets have assigned seat numbers on them.

We can complain about corporate sponsors and team tickets but they are the reasons we can have this awesome event in Sioux Falls. I have never been in the upper level, but I am also willing to spend 6 hours of my day waiting in line, and that is half the fun. I however do feel that season ticket holders at each school should be able to get reasonable tickets in a priority order if you want them before sale to general public. It is weird to see court side fans at home games sitting 20 rows up in the upper deck.

When it is all done we still pack the place Blue and Yellow and help lead this team to another special moment on Tuesday! Go Jacks!!

Comment

Next year the seating should be easier for those who want to have some choices for the early ticket purchase. The expected 12,000 capacity will tax the interest since I am not sure if we have reached the level for filling the place It would be great, but that is a big leap. Maybe in 2 years when they are advertising for selling Summit tickets, there will be tickets for people to buy. It might be like the Twins stadium that people want to come and see. Meanwhile it ought to be a cozy blue and yellow crowd for next year.
      Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
        Meanwhile it ought to be a cozy blue and yellow crowd for next year.
        I think you are right about that. I know it is definitely not the only indicator, but the fact that there is still literally zero talk about 2014 Summit tickets on the NDSU or USD boards tells you something. You would think there would be at least a little chatter among the die-hards if getting 2014 tickets was of interest to the fan base at large.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
          I think you are right about that. I know it is definitely not the only indicator, but the fact that there is still literally zero talk about 2014 Summit tickets on the NDSU or USD boards tells you something. You would think there would be at least a little chatter among the die-hards if getting 2014 tickets was of interest to the fan base at large.
          I was thinking it should be a hot ticket and if you want in would buy tickets early.
          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitNation View Post
            Corporate sponsors are just a small portion of the tickets. Corporate sponsors get 250 lower level tickets and each team gets 50 lower level tickets for the game to watch their team play. After game they move out and the next games fans move in to those same seats. So 350 lower tickets are for corporate sponsors and teams below. The First 8 rows in select sections above are allocated to each school before tickets go on sale. So as mentioned before you will see open seats in the first few rows during most games, go sit in them. It makes it easier this year since you do not have to worry about losing your general admission seat since all tickets have assigned seat numbers on them.

We can complain about corporate sponsors and team tickets but they are the reasons we can have this awesome event in Sioux Falls. I have never been in the upper level, but I am also willing to spend 6 hours of my day waiting in line, and that is half the fun. I however do feel that season ticket holders at each school should be able to get reasonable tickets in a priority order if you want them before sale to general public. It is weird to see court side fans at home games sitting 20 rows up in the upper deck.

When it is all done we still pack the place Blue and Yellow and help lead this team to another special moment on Tuesday! Go Jacks!!
            So,each team playing has potentially at least 50 fans ,right behind the bench , i assume.I see nothing wrong with that,no team should have to play the most important games of the year with no one cheering them on,it just wouldn't be right.As far as sponsers,well money talks,you don't think they sponser out of the kindness of their heart,due you?To be fair,they help make it all happen,so again,nothing wrong with them getting their due either.

Comment

Our guy was in line at 9 am. When he got to the window they told him best available where in Sec M row 17. He took 20 of them. When he picket up his tickets later that day the seats are in Sec O row 15 and 16 (better seats). Either he misunderstood her or she was confused.

About 7 pm Friday night as we were settling into the hotel room my sister-in-law sent a text saying she called TM and got Sec D row 6 (much better seats, some of the best in the house). So, I called TM and was able to get 6 seats in Sec U right on the floor (was about 8 pm Friday night). Interesting system for sure.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

2500 tickets have already been sold. Jacks fans don't wait, NDSU and USD will be looking to regain some of the atmosphere from the Jacks.

Forum writer calling out NDSU fans on BBall support for the tournament.
                http://www.inforum.com/event/article.../group/Sports/
                Last edited by UWMandSDSU; 03-14-2013, 10:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                  2500 tickets have already been sold. Jacks fans don't wait, NDSU and USD will be looking to regain some of the atmosphere from the Jacks.

Forum writer calling out NDSU fans on BBall support for the tournament.
                  http://www.inforum.com/event/article.../group/Sports/
                  I remember being their in 09 and quite a few fans came down, now they were obvious favorites and the #1 seed and tickets were easier to come by but still

Comment

I disagree with what the reporter said, if the tournament was played on the weekend I would agree though. I won't rip into people for not taking two or three days off of work, getting a hotel room and spending a bunch of money. SF is not exactly a destination city either, they do a great job putting the event on and it is a good location because the tournament is valued by city. In a place like Minneapolis it would be an afterthought.

The date the games are played are just horrible though for non-local fans. Not sure what the solution is though, I'm sure there will be more NDSU fans there next year but there should be since we'll be the favorite to win it.

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
                      I disagree with what the reporter said, if the tournament was played on the weekend I would agree though. I won't rip into people for not taking two or three days off of work, getting a hotel room and spending a bunch of money. SF is not exactly a destination city either, they do a great job putting the event on and it is a good location because the tournament is valued by city. In a place like Minneapolis it would be an afterthought.

The date the games are played are just horrible though for non-local fans. Not sure what the solution is though, I'm sure there will be more NDSU fans there next year but there should be since we'll be the favorite to win it.
                      It would probably work best to do thurs-sunday IMO to get more attendance but how much your fans travel for football road games isnt cheap to do either. Its not like getting to SF is that much a a hardship for fans up north. a huge fan base of SDSU fans come from allover and travel just as far and spend the same amount on hotels and tickets. Just SDSU fans find traveling for summit league tournament a higher priority then NDSU fans do at this point. now if your the number 1 seed for a couple years in row I would expect we would see many more in green then the last couple of years.
                      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Isn't NDSU an ag school? According to a USD Fan, since all SDSU graduates are farmers we have don't have to ask for any time off this time of year, that is why there is so much blue and yellow in the stands.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                          It would probably work best to do thurs-sunday IMO to get more attendance but how much your fans travel for football road games isnt cheap to do either. Its not like getting to SF is that much a a hardship for fans up north. a huge fan base of SDSU fans come from allover and travel just as far and spend the same amount on hotels and tickets. Just SDSU fans find traveling for summit league tournament a higher priority then NDSU fans do at this point. now if your the number 1 seed for a couple years in row I would expect we would see many more in green then the last couple of years.
                          Well it isn't cheap to travel to Dallas but that is for a national title game. Plus most fans drive/fly down Thursday/Friday and get back on Sunday. If the Summit wants to build this thing up in a bigger arena the dates of the game need to change. I'm sure some SDSU fans do travel from far away but the bulk of your fanbase lives an hour or so away. I'm guessing a fair amount of SDSU alumni live in SF as well...NDSU has hardly any.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                            Isn't NDSU an ag school? According to a USD Fan, since all SDSU graduates are farmers we have don't have to ask for any time off this time of year, that is why there is so much blue and yellow in the stands.
                            Wow, they are even worse at making excuses than they are at attending games.

Comment

Does anyone know why they don't go to a Friday-Monday or a Thursday Sunday? I'm going to guess ESPN 2 time has some to do with it.

Comment

Well it isn't cheap to travel to Dallas but that is for a national title game. Plus most fans drive/fly down Thursday/Friday and get back on Sunday. If the Summit wants to build this thing up in a bigger arena the dates of the game need to change. I'm sure some SDSU fans do travel from far away but the bulk of your fanbase lives an hour or so away. I'm guessing a fair amount of SDSU alumni live in SF as well...NDSU has hardly any.
                                The conference schedule isn't totally under the control of the conference. ESPN decides when they want to show the championship games.

Maybe it's time to pursue one of the other sports networks (NBC/CBS/Fox) to show the Summit championship games.
                                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
                                X