Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UMKC to the WAC?

Originally posted by filbert View Post
    I agree. But it's out there, now. And, it would explain what otherwise is a pretty inexplicable move by UMKC (the alternate hypothesis being that the UMKC administration is composed of idiots).
    The problem I have with that explanation is that UMKC could wait for all the dominos to fall and would still have a spot in the WAC, its not as if they are going anywhere, and you need to make an early departure because the spot is closing fast.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
      The problem I have with that explanation is that UMKC could wait for all the dominos to fall and would still have a spot in the WAC, its not as if they are going anywhere, and you need to make an early departure because the spot is closing fast.
      Now, understand that what I'm relaying here is what not one but two Kansas City-area media types (one who covers college sports for the newspaper, the other a sports-talk-radio host who's also UMKC women's basketball play-by-play guy) have said on sports radio here in KC.

I'm coming around to the conclusion that there is Something Going On Here, and that this isn't over, yet.
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

This move by UMKC makes only sense competition wise. Travel will now go up since no one is really close by. They move to what will be a lesser league. Joeboo is right. There was no need to do this at this time, even if all the other rumors appear to be true. The WAC will take anyone with a DI affiliation west of the Appalachians. The Summit has bee relatively stable by shrinking their footprint. The only defectors is by ones that made since to them by Cenentary moving to DIII and SUU and Oral Bob moving to geographically better conferences.

Comment

Now, understand that what I'm relaying here is what not one but two Kansas City-area media types (one who covers college sports for the newspaper, the other a sports-talk-radio host who's also UMKC women's basketball play-by-play guy) have said on sports radio here in KC.

I'm coming around to the conclusion that there is Something Going On Here, and that this isn't over, yet.
          I'm not saying they are wrong or right, and I wouldn't be shocked if something did happen. Just the argument that they are doing this move early because of something that might happen I don't buy.

Comment

Originally posted by Evolution Prime View Post
            This, unfortunately, is the Summit's problem/image. It is seen as a stepping stone leauge. The Dakota schools would have to take the lead on it as they are the flagship schools for their state and set the example. While I really doubt either of our school would turn down an MVC offer, I feel that it shouldn't be our ultimate goal of what we are working towards. We just need other like minded schools to get on board with it. I think WIU could get on-board with it, but I really don't think Oakland would be that invested in it as they have never been shy about their desire to be in the Horizon. If we need to bring in other universities in, then so be it. SDSU and NDSU have worked their tails off to become two of the top programs in the Summit and being leaders in the Summit to throw it away by conference hopping which seems to be the norm these days. We would have to basically start anew again if we moved to the MVC. I am not saying we turn down an offer, lets just not let that be the driving force behind things. Take a look at Boise State. While I respected their program, I hated they were jumping from conference to conference based on their percieved notion that the next conferece was better.
            The problem is I think all our like minded peers are in the MVC.

Comment

So have the dominoes already fallen, but have not been announced?

Comment

The fact that TWO KC media people are speculating that NDSU and SDSU are going to the Valley and Oakland to the Horizon is interesting. Perhaps the UMKC AD knows something we don't about the future of the Summit and found a league willing to take them. That is the only rationale reason behind this move. Maybe they didn't want to be left without a conference if there's only 5 teams left in the Summit. Why else would you leave this league for the WAC?

Comment

Originally posted by Evolution Prime View Post
                  This move by UMKC makes only sense competition wise. Travel will now go up since no one is really close by. They move to what will be a lesser league. Joeboo is right. There was no need to do this at this time, even if all the other rumors appear to be true. The WAC will take anyone with a DI affiliation west of the England. The Summit has bee relatively stable by shrinking their footprint. The only defectors is by ones that made since to them by Cenentary moving to DIII and SUU and Oral Bob moving to geographically better conferences.
                  Fixed it for ya.

Comment

And yet, even this news does not lead the on-the-hour WHB "Sportscenter" update. That gives you some idea of UMKC's market penetration in their own city.
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by YanktonJack7 View Post
                      The fact that TWO KC media people are speculating that NDSU and SDSU are going to the Valley and Oakland to the Horizon is interesting. Perhaps the UMKC AD knows something we don't about the future of the Summit and found a league willing to take them. That is the only rationale reason behind this move. Maybe they didn't want to be left without a conference if there's only 5 teams left in the Summit. Why else would you leave this league for the WAC?
                      Yeah, that's what's moving me from total skepticism regarding future conference moves for the xDSU's to something slightly more receptive. Could all be oft-repeated rumor coming out from two different directions simultaneously. Or, it could be something slightly more substantial. I just don't know.
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

There was an article in the Omaha paper that also mentioned NDSU and SDSU a while back as being candidates if Creighton bolts.

The only future the Summit has was the Dakota core, if that goes the league collapses.

Comment

Said media types don't have their facts straight about UMKC, the Summit, or the WAC, yet somehow they've got inside knowledge about the Valley and the xDSUs? Pardon me if I'm not biting on that one.

Comment

Again I don't know anything, but I could make this argument for why they went.

Summit League wants to add many teams, (UND, UNC, Mankato, St. Cloud, E. Illinois, UW-Mil, UW-GB, etc.), push it to the 12-14 range. Well UMKC doesn't expect to be competing anytime soon, and the Summit League is a 1 bid conference, so UMKC is splitting the shares 1/12-1/14 or something like that. They can go to the WAC, compete better, and split the share with fewer schools.

I'm listening to the radio interview, and they claim the WAC is a way better conference, and that there are no good teams in the Summit League.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                              Again I don't know anything, but I could make this argument for why they went.

Summit League wants to add many teams, (UND, UNC, Mankato, St. Cloud, E. Illinois, UW-Mil, UW-GB, etc.), push it to the 12-14 range. Well UMKC doesn't expect to be competing anytime soon, and the Summit League is a 1 bid conference, so UMKC is splitting the shares 1/12-1/14 or something like that. They can go to the WAC, compete better, and split the share with fewer schools.

I'm listening to the radio interview, and they claim the WAC is a way better conference, and that there are no good teams in the Summit League.
                              Well if NDSU, SDSU and Oakland are gone....

Comment

Would be funny if SDSU/NDSU bolted and USD was left behind. I'd giggle.
                                Originally posted by JackFan96
                                Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Working...
                                X