Summit Basketball Tournament seeding: men

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Summit Basketball Tournament seeding: men

As a Jackrabbit fan, I've oftern thought what is the best case scenerio is for SDSU for the long term Division I future??

Is it staying in the Summit, getting St. Cloud State/Mankato/etc. to join to "sure up" the Summit's footprint and pretty much solidify SF as the tournament venue every year? But then futher the chances of losing Oakland, IPFW, IUPUI, Western Illinois?

Or do we use the next two "Wolters" years and work as hard as humanly possible with the MVC for admission. But give up playing in a conference tournament in our backyard, but become a memeber of a conference that we know is going to be around for the next 50 years. I just don't think I can say that forsure in regards to the Summit League and if the only way of getting there is to entice a bunch of old NCC members to join, I personally am not that interested that scenerio. We all know there isn't enough Division I talent to go around, we've discussed it before. IMO, there isn't enough already with USD, UND and UNO joining the fray.

Or...do we look to the Big Sky and create a Super Conference that has East-West Divisions(say 9 and 9 teams) where in Basketball/Volleyball we would rarely play the west division teams except come tournament time. Here too, SF would probably be out as the West teams would want the tournament in a more central location. IMO...this would be the position that SDSU would be "forced" into if the Summit League fell apart.

Just throwing it out there for discussion and I don't mean to be a "downer"...but let's not hide our heads in the sand, this is something that is going to be and already is being discussed within the Summit League and SDSU.

Go Jacks!!
    SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

I don't think it's possible to coherently discuss long-term Division I futures. Too many variables could come into play. Maybe the Big East and Atlantic 10 team up and raid the Horizon and the MAC, sending the refugees towards leagues like the Summit and the Valley. Who really knows?

The only reasonable strategy IMHO for SDSU at this point is to continue to try to make the Summit League as strong as possible--which means doing what it can to make ALL of its members as strong as possible. (Yes, that includes USD, in case you red-haters are wondering.) Among other things, this builds positive relationships with the other Summit schools, which may yield unforeseen benefits and bear fruit for SDSU somewhere down the road in the unknown future.
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebaske...e-the-momentum

Little article by Andy Katz

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
          As a Jackrabbit fan, I've oftern thought what is the best case scenerio is for SDSU for the long term Division I future??

Is it staying in the Summit, getting St. Cloud State/Mankato/etc. to join to "sure up" the Summit's footprint and pretty much solidify SF as the tournament venue every year? But then futher the chances of losing Oakland, IPFW, IUPUI, Western Illinois?

Or do we use the next two "Wolters" years and work as hard as humanly possible with the MVC for admission. But give up playing in a conference tournament in our backyard, but become a memeber of a conference that we know is going to be around for the next 50 years. I just don't think I can say that forsure in regards to the Summit League and if the only way of getting there is to entice a bunch of old NCC members to join, I personally am not that interested that scenerio. We all know there isn't enough Division I talent to go around, we've discussed it before. IMO, there isn't enough already with USD, UND and UNO joining the fray.

Or...do we look to the Big Sky and create a Super Conference that has East-West Divisions(say 9 and 9 teams) where in Basketball/Volleyball we would rarely play the west division teams except come tournament time. Here too, SF would probably be out as the West teams would want the tournament in a more central location. IMO...this would be the position that SDSU would be "forced" into if the Summit League fell apart.

Just throwing it out there for discussion and I don't mean to be a "downer"...but let's not hide our heads in the sand, this is something that is going to be and already is being discussed within the Summit League and SDSU.

Go Jacks!!
          This is a topic worth discussing. Even though this our first year with 20 wins, I tend to believe we are not pickers or choosers yet. I think as Filbert stated that the Summit League is our present. I would think SDSU would have to do some real dramatic things in terms of wins to get invite to some more prestigious league.
          Many thought that 2005 we would have had 20 wins, but our transition started out as a disastor and we are just now starting to recover. I will not rehash the transition period except to say it did not go smoothly. Ten years from now I would hope we been to the Big Dance a few times, and we have conference championship trophies to admire on our way into Frost. I guess the key is to keep winning games, and we will attract good athletes. I was impressed with the DuPere Wis lad who made a campus visit, he said Brookings looked like a nice place to live. If we do it one day at a time, I think we will be okay.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
            I don't think it's possible to coherently discuss long-term Division I futures. Too many variables could come into play. Maybe the Big East and Atlantic 10 team up and raid the Horizon and the MAC, sending the refugees towards leagues like the Summit and the Valley. Who really knows?

The only reasonable strategy IMHO for SDSU at this point is to continue to try to make the Summit League as strong as possible--which means doing what it can to make ALL of its members as strong as possible. (Yes, that includes USD, in case you red-haters are wondering.) Among other things, this builds positive relationships with the other Summit schools, which may yield unforeseen benefits and bear fruit for SDSU somewhere down the road in the unknown future.
            This.

Comment

In terms of future conference afflilation, all SDSU can really control is their own position as an athletic department. That way, when there is a sizemic shift in college athletics, SDSU can be lifted up by it rather than buried in the rubble.

This starts with continually growing the fan base, increasing the athletic budget, and fielding competitive teams. Improving the Summit League's status as a DI conference is also crucial, as a program at the top of the standings looks better if the conference has a favorable perception as a whole.

Some Jacks/Bison fans may not want to hear this, but we are also very much tied to the hip with NDSU due to geography. Both schools would be geographical outliners in any conference considered an upgrade over the Summit League, so we'd essentially be a package deal. Just take a look at a map of the MVC, then throw in just Brookings or Fargo and tell me if either town seems out of place. However, put both of them together and the geography looks much more balanced and symmetrical (not to mention financially sound due to being travel partners).

Both SDSU and NDSU need to look as attractive as possible when more conference realignment happens, and the biggest steps forward that both universities can take is consistently competing over the top spot in all conference sports plus much need facility upgrades (SDSU: Field House/Football Stadium, NDSU: Bison Sports Arena).
              If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
              - Steven Wright

Comment

I do not see the BOR of South Dakota ever letting SDSU and USD be in seperate conferences again.

Comment

Originally posted by 22jack View Post
                  I do not see the BOR of South Dakota ever letting SDSU and USD be in seperate conferences again.
                  If the Valley came calling for SDSU/NDSU and the BOR tried to stand in the way of that to ensure a SDSU/USD conference partnership, the backlash would be huge and I don't think the BOR would be able to take the publicity hit. I can see them trying to mandate that SDSU/USD continue to play each other regardless of conference affiliation, but not restricting one program from moving to a more successful conference home.
                  "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

The BOR's could care less, I wouldn't be surprised if a few of them thought that USD and SDSU were still D-II in athletics

As far as moving the conference. I've said all along, it has to do with money. The coaches can complain all they want, and some of them make very good points, but if anyone can honestly think they can draw better then Sioux Falls then put the money down and see. The past couple of years the only other place to put any type of bid close to Sioux Falls was Tulsa.

The way I look at it, the only way I could see the Summit League tournament leaving Sioux Falls in the near future would be if they went to a higher seed host the games at their place, and they play it out over a week. Start on Wednesday (today for example) and then second game on Saturday, and championship on Tuesday. Because I just don't see another place where they will get the corporate $ and the attendance that Sioux Falls does.

Comment

Grizland this time

http://www.freep.com/article/2012022...|text|Sports|s

Comment

Originally posted by 22jack View Post
                        The BOR are appointed and serve at the Governor's request, if SDSU or USD presented a good case for separation, I would think the BOR would accept it. Right now I dont have a clue as to what that case would be. Too much money for each as it now stands to go separate ways. I think any dreams of the MVC admission are premature. We have not done anything worthy to make us attractive to the MVC or any other worthy conference.

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
                          Go Thunderbirds!!
                          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

The Thunderbirds are the ones who like to take time off the clock IRC, this will be an interesting game to watch. Kampe still reminds me of John Goodman.

Comment

SUU took OU to OT @ Oakland. This will require Oakland to beat the T-Birds for a third time this season.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
                                SUU took OU to OT @ Oakland. This will require Oakland to beat the T-Birds for a third time this season.
                                I still would put my money on John Goodman and crew.
                                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Working...
                                X