Summit Basketball Tournament seeding: men

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Summit Basketball Tournament seeding: men

Looking at this weekend's games, the most likely result is that SDSU will play IUPUI twice in a row, once this Saturday in Frost, then again next Saturday in the Arena.

Trying to work through the tiebreaker possibilities . . . it looks like if UMKC sweeps IPFW and Oakland, and IUPUI gets swept by the xDSU's, both the Roos and the Jags will finish 6-12, but UMKC would sneak into the 7 seed, as they've got wins against both Oakland and NDSU, and IUPUI will have beaten Oakland once but been swept by NDSU.

If IPFW sweeps UMKC and USD, then they'll get the 8 seed and lock IUPUI into the 7 seed. (I think I'm reading the byzantine Summit tiebreaker rules correctly.)

(This further assumes that WIU doesn't sweep the xDSU's this weekend and that Oakland loses twice, moving WIU up as high as #3 with a 10-8 conference record possibly tying NDSU's record and finishing a game ahead of Oakland . . . I'm not gonna go into the WIU/NDSU/Oakland tiebreakers right now, thank you very much.)

So, unless SDSU fans want to see IUPUI twice in a row, it will be simplest to just root for NDSU and for UMKC this weekend. (Although my gut feeling is that UMKC is pretty much done, so hello, Jaguars! Let's Play Two!)
    "I think we'll be OK"

Re: Summit Basketball Tournament seeding: men

How to avoid playing IUPUI twice in a row . . . revised edition . . .

ORU locked in at #1.
    SDSU locked in at #2.
    I'm going to say Oakland beats USD to secure #3.
    Let's say that WIU loses to NDSU, SUU loses to ORU, and IUPUI upsets SDSU--each one of them finishes 8-10.
    This locks NDSU into #4.
    Between WIU/SUU/IUPUI, the first 3-way tiebreaker is common W-L record. WIU is 1-3; SUU is 3-1; IUPUI is 2-2.
    SUU moves into #5.
    WIU and IUPUI split their two games so you shift to the 2-team tiebreaker rules.
    Since IUPUI would have (in this scenario) a win vs. #2 SDSU, they would get the #6.
    WIU would get #7.
    I have a feeling IPFW will beat UMKC for #8 (but I'm not sure it matters, really).

So, brackets, in this scenario:
    #1 Oral Roberts vs. #8 IPFW/UMKC, Sunday
    #4 North Dakota State vs. #5 Southern Utah, Sunday

#2 South Dakota State vs. #7 Western Illinois, Saturday
    #3 Oakland vs. #6 IUPUI, Sunday
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

This looks to be the best seeding possible for the Jacks. IUPUI is a scary team if playing team ball. First time around in Indy, they weren't there yet. Would love to have OU/IUPUI beat up on each other first.

WIU is a tough out though too. But no offense for the 'Necks. Jacks showed how to beat them, but going 9/16 from deep is above the Jacks average. 7/16 or 8/16, even 6/16 would have still been a W last nite.

Comment

Best just to keep winning until we run into Kentucky, I think.
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Why stop winning then?

Comment

I'd rather just beat them twice in a row. On the post game last night, Nagy said his plan for Saturday is to not let them think they would have a chance of winning a rematch. I liked that attitude.
            Originally posted by JackFan96
            Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

SUU loses by 2 to ORU at home.
              Western beats NDSU.
              Oakland beats USD.
              IPFW beats UMKC.

#1 Oral Roberts vs. #8 IPFW
              #4/5 NDSU vs. #5/4 Western (again)

#2 SDSU vs. #7 IUPUI (again)
              #3 Oakland vs. #6 Southern Utah

I think that's how it shakes out for Sioux Falls.
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

As the season has wore on and we've gotten closer and closer to the tournament, I've become more and more depressed that I will be in the Cities on monday and tuesday of the tournament.

Sad sad deal.
                "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
                  As the season has wore on and we've gotten closer and closer to the tournament, I've become more and more depressed that I will be in the Cities on monday and tuesday of the tournament.

Sad sad deal.
                  I'll be in Mexico for spring break. Also sad.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                    Lying on the beach,drink in hand,glaring at scantily clad females. Also sad.

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
                      Lying on the beach,drink in hand,glaring at scantily clad females. Also sad.
                      Well I won't complain about it, but I do think I am going to miss something special in Sioux Falls.

Comment

Well I won't complain about it, but I do think I am going to miss something special in Sioux Falls.
                        I understand. It would really suck missing it if the Jacks make the dance.

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Th...all_Tournament

Bracket and info here.
                          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Dodging cartel bullets, dead bodies, and kidnapping attempts. I can find other beaches and party spots in a lot better and safer areas.

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
                              Dodging cartel bullets, dead bodies, and kidnapping attempts. I can find other beaches and party spots in a lot better and safer areas.
                              I'll tell my family to ask you for advice next time they plan a trip

Plus, I've watched Blow before, so if anything, I'll probably be running the cartels by the end of the trip.

Comment

Working...
                              X