Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dave Boots 1st losing season

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
    That's a good point. The weave offense that he put in for this game was great. Slow it down and it worked well. Boots came up with a great game-plan.
    I watched on the yote network. As the team was introduced, Coach Boots kneeled before each starter, made eye contact and shook hands before the player left his chair, they were all in!

Go Jacks!!

Comment

I was at both games, and Coach Boots looked like a totally different coach in Vermillion than he did in Brookings. Looked like he actually gave a crap, looked enthused. In Brookings it looked like he was in the waiting room for a colonoscopy

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
        I was at both games, and Coach Boots looked like a totally different coach in Vermillion than he did in Brookings. Looked like he actually gave a crap, looked enthused. In Brookings it looked like he was in the waiting room for a colonoscopy
        Ever flunked the mid term in a course and struggled to the point of getting an F for a final grade? It's hard to keep a positive out look under those circumstances. So it goes with Boots, his team dug themselves in a hole early in the game, it was as though he knew he was getting an F in the course of coaching. Looks like the second time around, it was much easier and he watch the video a time or two and came up with that impressive weave. He might have slighted the team in game preparation for the first game. It happens to all good coaches.

Apparently, you have not had a colonoscopy. You dont sit in the waiting room, they knock you out and you are all goofy the rest of the day.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
          Ever flunked the mid term in a course and struggled to the point of getting an F for a final grade? It's hard to keep a positive out look under those circumstances. So it goes with Boots, his team dug themselves in a hole early in the game, it was as though he knew he was getting an F in the course of coaching. Looks like the second time around, it was much easier and he watch the video a time or two and came up with that impressive weave. He might have slighted the team in game preparation for the first game. It happens to all good coaches.

Apparently, you have not had a colonoscopy. You dont sit in the waiting room, they knock you out and you are all goofy the rest of the day.
          no I haven't.... ok, he looked like a guy who was about ready to put his dog to sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
            And I should clarify more. Boots is the reason they have had winning seasons. Why they will steuggle is not from boots but from a small school in a small town with a horrible facility and bad fan support except for 1 game. Boots has had a lot going against him and its only going to get harder imo for usd. I think it will take them longer to get to the top half of the league. For the next couple years I see oakland sdsu and ndsu being the 3 who consistantly are top half while the other school struggle some years and good years other and usd being down more years then up.
            I agree with what you said except about them competing in the Summit.

All it takes is one, maybe two recruits and a good coach to get to the top echelon of the league.

USD has the coach.

I keep thinking to myself, I wouldn't be shocked to see Cody Larson or some other stud(s) transfer in and totally make that a different team.
            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

There is truth in the below post. Seems like I read Cody was not getting much playing time, and would be ripe for transfer.
              Boots somehow manages to attact D1 transfers, but with USD being done with the transition period, they would all have to sit a year. I dont know how well that would sit with some athletes.

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
              I agree with what you said except about them competing in the Summit.

All it takes is one, maybe two recruits and a good coach to get to the top echelon of the league.

USD has the coach.

I keep thinking to myself, I wouldn't be shocked to see Cody Larson or some other stud(s) transfer in and totally make that a different team.

Comment

Next years likely starting point guard will be Juevol Myles, a transfer from K-State, who played in 19 games there as a sophomore. Myles is obviously sitting out this year.
                USD Fan

Comment

While I agree it only takes a few players to make a team better . . . it is also hard to attract quality transfers or JuCos - or even hs kids to the last place team in the conference. Boots has had a history of playing soft pre-conference schedules and racking up wins in the D-II days, he still played a soft schedule during his Great West days. The Summit is a whole new ball game for the Yotes and with the Summit League rule that you can only play down twice it will be harder for Dave to have winning records in the future if they struggle to compete in conference.

Comment

The notion of Cody Larson (R-Fr) transferring to USD is not going to happen. Fully understand the context of the suggestion but this won't happen for a kid who redshirts a year at the DI level as they would lose a year of eligibility and would have to sit out a full year. Since hardship is not involved or injury it would be a smart move as it shortens his collegiate career. Mid Major programs are like yo-yo's hard to stay on top and maintain quality. Enjoy the ups when they occur as there will be just as many years of downs. Makes what Gonzaga and Memphis has accomplished through the years much more impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by Cadsev View Post
                      The notion of Cody Larson (R-Fr) transferring to USD is not going to happen. Fully understand the context of the suggestion but this won't happen for a kid who redshirts a year at the DI level as they would lose a year of eligibility and would have to sit out a full year. Since hardship is not involved or injury it would be a smart move as it shortens his collegiate career. Mid Major programs are like yo-yo's hard to stay on top and maintain quality. Enjoy the ups when they occur as there will be just as many years of downs. Makes what Gonzaga and Memphis has accomplished through the years much more impressive.
                      I agree, the rumored D-I transfers USD was supposedly going to get over the past 5 years in all sports has been so ridiculous. I remember when a USD fan told me Riley Reiff was transferring to USD (after his red-shirt season), a done deal, already had the paper work in, etc. The problem with that was I know Riley and I had talked to him the weekend before and that is when he told me he was not transferring and was moving to offense. I told the guy he was full of it and that Reiff was going to be starting on the O-line the next year.

I remember when USD was supposedly going to get Pierre Pierce to transfer in when he got kicked off the Iowa team years ago, the only problem with that one was he was in jail.

I will say this, lets keep the transfer rumors to a minimum unless you have some evidence, especially if the kid is still on a roster.

Comment

Glad to have you back Cadsev!

Didn't mean to start rumors, I was speaking more hypothetically. As in one transfer of Larson's caliber could dramatically change USD's fortunes. Obviously a bad choice of words.

I was thinking the other night, what would UMKC look like if Reggie Hamilton had never transferred? What would Oakland look like? Their positions in the standings could easily be reversed--Oakland sits in 4th place, UMKC in last.

All it takes is one player. I wouldn't bet against USD finding that player, is all I'm saying.
                        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Thanks for weighing in on Cody. I only threw that possibility out their to support my point that Boots has attracted D1 in the past. Give Boots credit over the years he gotten some good D1 transfers including Shane Murphy as one, it was a few years back, plus the big guy from Creighton. I dont have a clue how Boots has connected on those transfers but he seems to do it somehow.

Comment

What Boots did at the D-II level will be far different from what he can do at the D-I. A D-I player can transfer to a D-II school and play right away. That is not the case if he moves to another D-I school. Lots of D-II coaches make a living from grabbing up D-I transfers and Dave Boots was very good at that, but it is a new ball game now.

Comment

I miss this guy. Always brings insight. No doubt he knows a little more about this kid (for obvious reasons) than other players, but he's always in the know.

Cadsev, who do you see being potential Div. I basketball players in SD in the next few years?
                              Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
                                What Boots did at the D-II level will be far different from what he can do at the D-I. A D-I player can transfer to a D-II school and play right away. That is not the case if he moves to another D-I school. Lots of D-II coaches make a living from grabbing up D-I transfers and Dave Boots was very good at that, but it is a new ball game now.
                                I think this is more legend/myth than truth. There have been some great transfers, but many/most of their great players have been organic.

Trevor Gruis (11-?)
                                Louie Krogman (06-11)
                                Jake Thomas (transferred OUT)
                                Tyler Cain (06-10)
                                Steve Smith (06-10)
                                Turner Trofholz (02-06)
                                Josh Mueller (01-05)

If Jake Thomas doesn't transfer out, USD probably finishes middle of the pack this year. And they would have an excellent outlook for next year with the K-State kid, Thomas, and Gruis coming back.

That's at least 6 really, really good players in the last 10 years that have been 4 or 5 year players, and that's just off the top of my head. In my opinion, all of those players would have fit nicely in the Summit. Probably second team all conference picks if the team finishes in the top half.

In my opinion, Boots is a great coach, period. You don't have 20+ winning seasons in a row based on gimmicks or loopholes no matter what level you coach at. How many DI transfers have ever been on USD's teams at the same time? 2 or 3 at the most would be my guess. He already has 1 sitting out that played in 19 games at K-State last year.

I won't count him out until his retirement is announced.

Comment

Working...
                                X