Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USD wants new logo

Originally posted by WahpJack View Post
    I too took a stab at this - using MS Word 2010. The font is Bank Gothic Medium. (20 min.)

And yes, this a direct rip-off of the work done by Evolution Prime. (Although I prefer to think of it as 'enhancement').
    Not a bad idea. I think the U might be a little too wide but the general look of it is going in a good direction. There are plenty of ways to give USD their own look but rushing into what is supposed to be a long standing logo going forward is probably not a good idea.
    How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

How sad is it that most everything posted on here by amateurs is better than what USD paid a professional to do? Can they re-think this and change their mind like the Big Ten did with their division names? How classic would that be for USD to come out in a week with "April Fool...we were just testing our supporters, here's the REAL new logo".
      I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
        How sad is it that most everything posted on here by amateurs is better than what USD paid a professional to do? Can they re-think this and change their mind like the Big Ten did with their division names? How classic would that be for USD to come out in a week with "April Fool...we were just testing our supporters, here's the REAL new logo".
        What was the deal with the big ten and division names?
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
          What was the deal with the big ten and division names?
          My bad. I thought they had changed after the initial announcement of Leaders and Legends. Looks like they've stuck.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
            My bad. I thought they had changed after the initial announcement of Leaders and Legends. Looks like they've stuck.
            Oh, I didnt know if they had changed to those or from those. I think its silly my self, makes it more confusing, I would rather go with directional or something less similar.
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

http://www.volanteonline.com/opinion...nuff-1.2540334

Comment

For once, the Volante is right on the mark, with good insight and good suggestions. $40,000 for that new logo? Wow. I wonder what a good, original one would have cost.
                This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan View Post
                  My suggestion would be to have the D hanging from the bottom rung of the S so the letters are directly on top of each other or it that looks tacky simply have them right next to each other no interlocking. Have that inside a U. Have the SD be red with black bordering around it. Have the U be white with a red bordering around it or something to that effect. Lettering looks better with bordering to create not such a plain look. If traditionalists just want red and white than border the red letter with white and visa-versa. USD shouldn't create a 60's looking logo in the modern times.

Better yet create about 4 different looks and allow the fans to vote on what they like. Afterall they are the ones that will be identifying with it and wearing it.

I gotta hand it to jacks fans here. They are making an honest attempt to come up with a good idea and not make it into a joke although I can see that down the road. Thanks for the graciousness.
                  unfortunately for the U the four people that would vote would probably split between the four logos ending in a tie.

I know I know no smack in a non smack thread.

Comment

Best editorial I've ever read in the Volante. OK, it's the only one I've read. But they are spot on. Students and alums have a right to be pissed about this.

Comment

Here's my take....

If you're going to rip off something in California, go with Stanford, not the Padres.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                        Here's my take....

If you're going to rip off something in California, go with Stanford, not the Padres.
                        thats a much better logo then what usd paid for. there are a lot of good ones on here that have potential, we should send them to USD to see what would actually be good logos.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                          thats a much better logo then what usd paid for. there are a lot of good ones on here that have potential, we should send them to USD to see what would actually be good logos.
                          Bear in mind that $40k covers more than just the design of the logo.

It includes writing usage guidelines, developing business card templates, letterhead templates, "camera ready" artwork (basically the logo in a number of sizes, formats, and so forth).

Like that design I just did---it doesn't work in single color applications. I'd have to do a version of the logo with a gap between the S & D in order to make it legible in a single color.

That $40k also includes a ridiculous number of meetings that can cost L-S as much as, or over $500 each, depending on how long they last, who attends them, and if they're in SF or Vermillion. Any time you work with a large institution, your 'meeting' overhead goes through the roof. Everybody, seemingly, either has a stake or is angling for a stake in the decision.

Comment

What would happen if the U happened to take a logo designed by someone from SDSU

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
                              What would happen if the U happened to take a logo designed by someone from SDSU
                              This pretty much sums it up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3ZOKDmorj0

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
                                If the work's being done by L-S, there are going to be SDSU grads working on it.

BTW: I had to chuckle at the Volante editorial talking about the graphics design program at USD.

The program at SDSU is probably five times the size of the program at the U.

Comment

Working...
                                X