X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New arena for USD

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan View Post
    Accurate comment. I think if I am the Argus I see the writing on the wall and I pull Mick from the beat and give him different responsibilities. I don't think the Argus or Mick really like covering USD very much and the fans certainly are not taking to the transition very well either. The Argus should let the Yankton P&D handle the Yotes or what is left of the interest level down there.

Right now the State of South Dakota is going through serious budget cuts. As much as the small core that is left that actually cares about USD basketball would argue it might be in the best interest of the State to close down the campuses at Northern, Dakota State and Vermillion and rebuild them all under one campus in Sioux Falls. I don't know what the school would be called but as much as this state is hurting right now it would make sense to do something like this. The med schools, business school etc could be located there. Vermillion is not a big enough or dedicated enough town to support a Division 1 program, period.
    Give it a couple of years of USD membership in the Summit and MVFC . . . if the USD fan base hasn't come around after a couple of years of Summit/MVFC, it's probably time to panic.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Accurate comment. I think if I am the Argus I see the writing on the wall and I pull Mick from the beat and give him different responsibilities. I don't think the Argus or Mick really like covering USD very much and the fans certainly are not taking to the transition very well either. The Argus should let the Yankton P&D handle the Yotes or what is left of the interest level down there.

Right now the State of South Dakota is going through serious budget cuts. As much as the small core that is left that actually cares about USD basketball would argue it might be in the best interest of the State to close down the campuses at Northern, Dakota State and Vermillion and rebuild them all under one campus in Sioux Falls. I don't know what the school would be called but as much as this state is hurting right now it would make sense to do something like this. The med schools, business school etc could be located there. Vermillion is not a big enough or dedicated enough town to support a Division 1 program, period.
      I see two things never happening in this post. Granted we are going through tough economic times, but are they permanent? I do not think so. There are just so many government services that can be cut and then it starts to really hurt everyone including closing campuses.

To move Mick Garry to some other assignment does not make any sense whats so ever. Mick is a pretty good beat writer. Closing the campus in Vermillion and moving it to Sioux Falls, seems like a big job for Telkamp Movers from Brookings, in fact I suspect they would turn this job down. So with building projects going on at the Campus in Vermillion, these projects will be totally abandonded? Never will happen. USD is a growing campus, why would they stop that? Also I believe the demand for higher education in Sioux Falls is being adequately met with currecnt sources including Colorado Tech. I beginning to think Coyote Fan is pulling our leg, playing a TransAmBison (send me money scam) I for one will not take the bait.

Comment

Coyote Fan is just peaved because he has a self imposed ban from GoYotes.net and now has taken it upon himself to go to every rival school's message board to run the Coyotes, and now the whole University, down. His negative attitude is truly remarkable. His postings have more to do with his anger over us not allowing him to turn our message board into a personal forum for all things Coyote Fan. I guess Coyote Fan's "pendulum" has swung the other way now, but fear not, when the Coyotes recover and win the Great West, when the football team has a great win or puts together a big season, or on opening night of the new Arena, Coyote Fan will back over here posting how USD is the dominant school in South Dakota.

There are lots of good things going on at the U that go far beyond athletics. Just yesterday the doors opened on the brand new Student Wellness Center. Add that new building to the long list of brand new or newly remodeled buildings that have taken place on campus in the last couple years which include but are not limited to Coyote Village dorms, new B-school, new med school, the MUC (new student center), completely remodeled Al Neuharth Media Center, the soon to be completed remodel of Slagle Hall, Old Main and on down the list. If you haven't been to USD's campus in a while, which for many SDSU fans is probably the case since we have not competed against each other in some time, then you might not recognize the campus with all of the changes.

It will be a cold day in Hades before the USD campus gets closed or moved to Sioux Falls. Also, you would be stretching to believe that USD will not successfully transition to a decent, competitive mid major school. The resources and commitment is in place and is finally being focused in the right direction.

Comment

Well said Yote53.

There is a lot of positive momentum at both USD & SDSU. Has taken USD some time to recover from the failed leadership of Betty Turner Asher & Kelly Higgins. Contrary to the opinion of CoyoteFan, we now have the right leadership in place in Abbott & Sayler (as well as his predecessor Nielsen).

A couple of more CoyoteFan observations. He is still ticked about the Yotes not joining the Big Sky and like many things just can't let it go (as evidenced by his Avatar). Also he has been asked many times if he is a member of the Howling Pack booster club and has never answered the question. One can only hope he continues his self imposed ban on the Yote board and continues to grace the SDSU faithful with his knowledge of all things Coyote.
          USD Fan

Comment

Originally posted by Yote53 View Post
            C
            It will be a cold day in Hades before the USD campus gets closed or moved to Sioux Falls. Also, you would be stretching to believe that USD will not successfully transition to a decent, competitive mid major school. The resources and commitment is in place and is finally being focused in the right direction.
            Agree, and I am now willing to admit that USD's success will be a benefit to SDSU and all of South Dakota. However, the growth on Vermillion campus has little to do with the potential success of the athletic programs as those plans were in place well before the DI declaration. So, that part of your argument doesn't support your conclusion in my opinion.

I was not willing, and rightfully so, to admit that USD's announcement declaring the decision to move DI as good for USD, SDSU or South Dakota. I did not see that the commitment from administration was clearly there. It was in large part a response to SDSU's relative success and USD's relative irrelevancy. Now, after talking to individuals at USD and seeing/hearing the future plans I think they have transitioned from aspirations to reality.

Caveat? The current reality for athletics at USD consists mostly of plans, if those aren't realized then I'm back where I was initially, in opposition to USD as a DI athletic program. So, the ball is really in your court Coyote fans, make it happen and contribute to the advancement of athletics in South Dakota or get out of the way and let SDSU continue to do it. One major step? Getting past the need to "renew the rivalry" and focus on building your own DI program. The rivalry is being and will be renewed in due time.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by hareball View Post
              Well said Yote53.

There is a lot of positive momentum at both USD & SDSU. Has taken USD some time to recover from the failed leadership of Betty Turner Asher & Kelly Higgins. Contrary to the opinion of CoyoteFan, we now have the right leadership in place in Abbott & Sayler (as well as his predecessor Nielsen).

A couple of more CoyoteFan observations. He is still ticked about the Yotes not joining the Big Sky and like many things just can't let it go (as evidenced by his Avatar). Also he has been asked many times if he is a member of the Howling Pack booster club and has never answered the question. One can only hope he continues his self imposed ban on the Yote board and continues to grace the SDSU faithful with his knowledge of all things Coyote.
              Sorry if I avoided the question but I have nothing to hide. I am not a member.

1. I cannot afford to be a member plain and simple. I cannot even afford to attend basketball games. It takes 4 tickets, a good portion of a tank of gas and usually a restaraunt bill as well. Not to mention too many weekday games. With that said I would have considered being a season ticket holder but the only seats that make sense for my sitution have been moved to the football seats, whereas there are plenty of better seats available that sit empty 90% of the time. That was the slam dunk to an easy decision for me.

2. I will not support a program financially that keeps a football coach around that has shown for at least 3 straight years that his program is regressing. I demand accountability but the athletic department has shown that winning is not an important aspect of the big picture. As long as the attendance is good it doesn't matter all that much whether they are winning to those that matter. For 2 reasons, one the cost and two the current direction of the football program has me considering giving up my season tickets this year especially considering that one-third of the games aren't going to be worth attending. If the Yotes would have cut ties with Ed I would have definately kept my season tickets but in all honesty I am tired of the losing ways and am affraid to admit that I could very easily see the program slipping back to the way of the 1990's - early 2000's. I simply don't have it in me to sit through more losing seasons like I used to.

The only major program that is up to my satisfaction right now is the mens basketball team and even they are showing signs of regression when they should be improving being that they are young. I will not put a nickle towards programs that aren't being held accountable by the coaches and or administration.

Of course not being a howling pack member puts me in the club of those that are not cared about much by the admin. It wouldn't surprise me if the non howling pack members were soon put in a group up in the top rows of the Dakotadome. The type of seats that will result in many members not making a return trip. If the admin was smart and knew what they were doing they would have more than 300 a game show up and watch live in person. Maybe they should have thought twice about moving people to football seats when there is plenty of space for everyone down below. That decision cost the Yotes my money and cheering support.

As far as the Coyote board I am not posting mainly because of the administrator that runs the board. He has done all he can to run me off the board and has already used my personal information (which is supposed to be confidential) to his advantage. He has also let me know that several people believe I should have been premanently banned. So those people can now be more content with things. The USD board is a better place now than it has ever been. It's just very slow and not very exciting to read. I am unwelcomed at that board by the majority of posters that frequent which is becoming fewer and fewer all the time.
              Last edited by Coyote_Fan; 01-18-2011, 07:23 PM.
              How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Sorry if I avoided the question but I have nothing to hide. I am not a member.
                Of course not being a howling pack member puts me in the club of those that are not cared about much by the admin. It wouldn't surprise me if the non howling pack members were soon put in a group up in the top rows of the Dakotadome. The type of seats that will result in many members not making a return trip. If the admin was smart and knew what they were doing they would have more than 300 a game show up and watch live in person. Maybe they should have thought twice about moving people to football seats when there is plenty of space for everyone down below. That decision cost the Yotes my money and cheering support.
                So how do you propose they allocate season tickets?

Comment

[QUOTE=Yote53;169717]Coyote Fan is just peaved because he has a self imposed ban from GoYotes.net and now has taken it upon himself to go to every rival school's message board to run the Coyotes, and now the whole University, down. His negative attitude is truly remarkable. His postings have more to do with his anger over us not allowing him to turn our message board into a personal forum for all things Coyote Fan.

My negative attitude is truley remarkable as is my positive one. It's kind of funny that everyone else always focuses on my negative posts. It really is irrelevant anyway since I am and will not be an active member of the board.
                  How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                    So how do you propose they allocate season tickets?
                    However they allocate them they should not force families to sit in the football seats when the majority of bleacher seats sit empty. This is for basketball not for football. I could easily just walk up and probably buy a much better ticket than I could get had I got season tickets. Maybe it's just my whining but it just seems like poor decision making to me. I don't think with 300-500 a game in attendance USD should be forcing it best and most loud fans to sit way off the court. They are basically turning down fan support and money. Not my decision, I am just forced to abide by it or I don't come to games which unfortunately has become the case.
                    How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

However they allocate them they should not force families to sit in the football seats when the majority of bleacher seats sit empty. This is for basketball not for football. I could easily just walk up and probably buy a much better ticket than I could get had I got season tickets. Maybe it's just my whining but it just seems like poor decision making to me. I don't think with 300-500 a game in attendance USD should be forcing it best and most loud fans to sit way off the court. They are basically turning down fan support and money. Not my decision, I am just forced to abide by it or I don't come to games which unfortunately has become the case.
                      http://www.usdcoyotes.com/info/tickets/basketball10.asp It looks like you can sit in the bleacher seats (section J & M). Yes?

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                        http://www.usdcoyotes.com/info/tickets/basketball10.asp It looks like you can sit in the bleacher seats (section J & M). Yes?
                        Only section D applies here.
                        How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

I'm taking off my moderator's hat and just writing as a member of this board and throwing out an idea for the consideration of SDSU fans who visit this board.

Some people turn conversations into discussions about them. Go back and read posts in this thread as a good example.

When the current USD fan board was started, I thought one fan in particular, the prominent poster in this thread, started dominating the discussions -- I thought he often dominated the discussions on the prior USD fan board. It seems to me that when a board is just starting out, a strong personality with lots of time on his hands can be a real detriment and may discourage others from participating. At the least, the development and growth of the board is at risk of being stunted or stalled.

I think the topic of this thread is an interesting one but the it seems the thread is now derailed. One poster in particular seems bent on kicking his alma mater around and, naturally, others wearing red are compelled to parry the blows and defend. The "turncoat" almosts prompts SDSU fans to step in with "hey, it's not that bad" comments that defend USD.

My wish: we stop talking ABOUT Coyote Fan. He's welcome to post as long as he plays by the rules but I'm tired of him being the subject-matter of posts. I think he brings that on himself in his rather unique style. I empathize with Yote53's urge to speak up and defend.

But, guys, this is the SDSUFans.com Forum!

Okay, putting hat back on and going off to battle spammers.

Comment

JackJD,

Hard to argue your point. That is why USD, the fan board etc are better off today than they were about 2 months ago. I did tend to dominate and am now a thing of the past. Now everyone can have their peace and feel comfortable posting there without my influence. Funny thing is the activity level sure hasn't gone up very much in fact it has gone down quite a bit because few USD fans actually do really care about the Coyotes. I am becoming more and more like the majority, non caring, not in attendance at games etc. I now fit in quite well after losing more interest now versus caring too much in the past.
                            How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

You've made your point. Now, how about you stop making your point over and over again. It's not about you. And even if it is -- not on this board.

Just to button this up, I'm closing this thread. If someone has new info on the subject of a new arena at USD, feel free to start up a fresh thread.

Comment

Working...
                              X