This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New arena for USD

I spent a considerable amount of time discussing the issue of a new arena for basketball in Vermillion with a rather large coyote booster during meetings in Florida recently. He tells me the funds are definitely in place and construction will move forward by 2013. I asked him how they can assume B.O.R. approval and he argued they won't need it. I told him I didn't understand it that way and he said it's going to happen either way. So, I think we will see a much needed upgrade to the USD campus in the near future.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Re: New arena for USD

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
    I spent a considerable amount of time discussing the issue of a new arena for basketball in Vermillion with a rather large coyote booster during meetings in Florida recently. He tells me the funds are definitely in place and construction will move forward by 2013. I asked him how they can assume B.O.R. approval and he argued they won't need it. I told him I didn't understand it that way and he said it's going to happen either way. So, I think we will see a much needed upgrade to the USD campus in the near future.
    That's interesting. If they are going to build it on campus, they're gonna have to deal with the B.O.R.

Comment

That Booster is sadly misinformed. If it is built on campus, BOR will have a say. Period.

Comment

It is possible the alumni association could build the arena and lease it to the U like the REA does at UND. Or, more likely, they expect the BOR to give their full consent to the project during their next meeting.

I heard the exact same thing less than a month ago. The money is in place. I do know architectural firms have been coming through the Dome to examine how to connect the arena facilty to the Dome ala UNI and come up with ideas for seating expansion.

Comment

If this is true, I am sure you can find information about it on the Coyote board. They must be talking about it.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
            If this is true, I am sure you can find information about it on the Coyote board. They must be talking about it.
            The individual telling me is convinced that a new arena is where the money he pledged is going. He isn't the kind of person USD admin would want to deceive of upset so my educated guess says at least the plan/intention is to move forward and to do so soon.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
              I checked...couldn't see any comments. In fact, couldn't see any board.

They will have to get approval from the BOR and from the Legislature, but I expect the BOR approval this spring to include the SDSU and USD athletic projects.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                They will have to get approval from the BOR and from the Legislature, but I expect the BOR approval this spring to include the SDSU and USD athletic projects.
                Exactly. I think it is definitely a good thing for the Summit and probably for SDSU to have USD and it's boosters fully behind the move to DI.

Comment

The posters over on the new USD board seem to be younger but there are some seasoned ones over there too, but many may not be in the loop as far as what is going on. I trying think but it seems some guy who owned the Miami Dalphins might be involved. Robie I believe the name is. Seems like someone has made a major gift for them to be making these moves in a confident manner.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                    The posters over on the new USD board seem to be younger but there are some seasoned ones over there too, but many may not be in the loop as far as what is going on. I trying think but it seems some guy who owned the Miami Dalphins might be involved. Robie I believe the name is. Seems like someone has made a major gift for them to be making these moves in a confident manner.
                    As in Joe Robbie Stadium (former name of the stadium the Dolphins use to play at), the Joe Robbie award (awarded every year to the MVP of the State HS Football Championships). Joe Robbie died in 1990.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Robbie

Comment

Did you go here? http://usdcoyotesports.proboards.com/index.cgi

You would know about the approval process and maybe getting the BOR approval is no biggy when the fiances are in place. The mention of Florida makes me think that Joe Robie might be the major gift giver. Just grasping for straws here.

Comment

You would know about the approval process and maybe getting the BOR approval is no biggy when the fiances are in place. The mention of Florida makes me think that Joe Robie might be the major gift giver. Just grasping for straws here.
                        No, wasn't that big a name, just a successful businessman who needs the tax break and enjoys attending USD events because he lives in the Yankton area. He didn't graduate from college. Donates money not only to USD but SDSU and is a HUGE Notre Dame fan (season ticket holder and booster). They approached him about the project, asked for a pledge and returned to tell him they would be moving forward. Time will tell.

Comment

No, wasn't that big a name, just a successful businessman who needs the tax break and enjoys attending USD events because he lives in the Yankton area. He didn't graduate from college. Donates money not only to USD but SDSU and is a HUGE Notre Dame fan (season ticket holder and booster). They approached him about the project, asked for a pledge and returned to tell him they would be moving forward. Time will tell.
                          Where would this be going? to the north or south of the dome? They really need it, the dump is awful for all sports except maybe track.

To bad the economy is down right now because there is a lot of momentum going for both schools and getting money at a time with high excitement means things can get done. If only I could win the lottery, then SDSU would have some new digs. But I suppose I would need to start playing the lottery first.
                          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

He's alright with me then!

Comment

Hey, leave my future wives out of this! JK!

Glad to hear there will be a major improvement in the facilities at USD. The Dome is awful for basketball. The BOR has to get with it and give approval to this and to SDSU to ok the facilities plan at SDSU. Not to build at SDSU but just the plans so they can work on getting the $$$$$$$ in place. That is still a head-scratcher to me.

SUPERBUNNY
                              MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X