X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New arena for USD

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan View Post
    New arena or not USD is light years away from SDSU in almost every way when it comes to fan support. The Jacks may be getting 1500-2000 for many games but USD is struggling to average 500 although they may announce higher attendance numbers. The fan support for anything outside of football right now is absolutely pathetic at the U. USD has their rivalry games vs UND yesterday and the Yotes board gets a grand total of ZERO posts. Mick Garry is probably laughing during his live chat with the lack of activity. I have argued otherwise but in all honesty if I am the Argus I pull Mick off the USD beat alltogether and give them no beat writer at all. It's not deserved based on fan activity. It's very discouraging to be a USD fan with such apathy and such a non caring attitude. For the fans that show no interest they deserve every bit of every loss they have to endure. On the other hand most of them really don't care either way.

There is no real threat from the south to the college dominance for the Jacks in the state of South Dakota. Sometimes the truth hurts but for so many to not realise it is what hurts even more.

You should leave the dark side and join the Jackrabbits
    Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
      The expectation is that fan support will improve with a new arena, a more regional conference affiliation (clearly not the NCC geography but better than before), and the renewal of the rivalries with SDSU and NDSU. Obviously that all seem very logical and I hope true. I think it is somewhat remarkable that USD has been able to recruit some of the quality athletes they have with current facilities. It's a statement to the commitment of the current admin and coaches.
      Wow Jack MD, it's funny how things work. I throw USD under the bus, talk up SDSU by default then you kinda come out with a supporting statement towards USD. I have a feeling if I would have done the opposite so would have you.
      How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
        Haha, CF no longer in the Red thanks to this post.
        Actually I kind of like being in the Red-hint, hint ;-)
        How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
          You should leave the dark side and join the Jackrabbits
          Well there is a red side and a blue side but I am not sure where the dark side is :-)
          How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Well there is a red side and a blue side but I am not sure where the dark side is :-)

North Dakota.

Seriously, I heard they only get sun light during July and a couple days in August.
            Originally posted by JackFan96
            Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

New arena or not USD is light years away from SDSU in almost every way when it comes to fan support. The Jacks may be getting 1500-2000 for many games but USD is struggling to average 500 although they may announce higher attendance numbers. The fan support for anything outside of football right now is absolutely pathetic at the U. USD has their rivalry games vs UND yesterday and the Yotes board gets a grand total of ZERO posts. Mick Garry is probably laughing during his live chat with the lack of activity. I have argued otherwise but in all honesty if I am the Argus I pull Mick off the USD beat alltogether and give them no beat writer at all. It's not deserved based on fan activity. It's very discouraging to be a USD fan with such apathy and such a non caring attitude. For the fans that show no interest they deserve every bit of every loss they have to endure. On the other hand most of them really don't care either way.

There is no real threat from the south to the college dominance for the Jacks in the state of South Dakota. Sometimes the truth hurts but for so many to not realise it is what hurts even more.
              I went to the Argus live chat yesterday to check the score of the USD mens game and the headline said "live chat USD vs NDSU".

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
                Glad to hear there will be a major improvement in the facilities at USD. The Dome is awful for basketball. The BOR has to get with it and give approval to this and to SDSU to ok the facilities plan at SDSU. Not to build at SDSU but just the plans so they can work on getting the $$$$$$$ in place. That is still a head-scratcher to me.

SUPERBUNNY
                It's a political calculation.

The governor is talking about 10 percent cuts across the board in state government (I'm guessing that would be about $5 million from SDSU's portion of state funds.)

The BOR is no doubt concerned that people would misunderstand the financial situation USD and SDSU are facing had they announced multi-million dollar athletic projects. You and I know we're talking about different pots of money. But I guarantee that on Main Street ,S.D. it wouldn't be perceived that way. And a lot of legislators would take that as an opportunity to balance the budget by cutting higher education (again). After all, "They must have money. They're building a new stadium/arena." There are still an awful lot of legislators out there who really, in their heart of hearts, don't believe in higher education.

SDSU and USD will be allowed to move forward after the session, I'm sure.
                Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post

The governor is talking about 10 percent cuts across the board in state government (I'm guessing that would be about $5 million from SDSU's portion of state funds.)

The BOR is no doubt concerned that people would misunderstand the financial situation USD and SDSU are facing had they announced multi-million dollar athletic projects. You and I know we're talking about different pots of money. But I guarantee that on Main Street ,S.D. it wouldn't be perceived that way. And a lot of legislators would take that as an opportunity to balance the budget by cutting higher education (again). After all, "They must have money. They're building a new stadium/arena." There are still an awful lot of legislators out there who really, in their heart of hearts, don't believe in higher education.

How true and why its been this way for decades if not a centry and two decades is something I will never be able to understand. Unfortunately this is the appartus that we are force to exist in. Putting the athletic projects on hold might prove to be a wise decision given the slicing and dicing mood that all legislative bodies seem to have now days.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post

Thats the best post I've heard describe the decision, it was more of a public image then a political one I think, as nice as new arenas look. main street doesn't like it when everyone is getting cuts and the football team/basketball team are announcing plans for a new facility.

You see it with high schools that are hesitant to spend their capital outlay money because they are going to have to ask for an opt out for their general fund.

Comment

I will be curious how USD will be able to grow and sustain fan and corporate support. I think they are somewhat a local phenomina and just don't have the statewide and regional support that SDSU has. I would not want to be the AD at USD. The new conferences and better facilities will help. There just seem to be so few really fanatic fans. The USD fan Board or lack of one is one indicator of this lack of hard core fans.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                        I will be curious how USD will be able to grow and sustain fan and corporate support. I think they are somewhat a local phenomina and just don't have the statewide and regional support that SDSU has. I would not want to be the AD at USD. The new conferences and better facilities will help. There just seem to be so few really fanatic fans. The USD fan Board or lack of one is one indicator of this lack of hard core fans.
                        Those comments are pretty well spot on. USD just doesn't have the following that they should have. As much as people have been outspoken of high praise of the new AD Sayor I have seen very little in the effort to market the overall athletic department. USD people are willing to accept the substandard far too much and far too often. If they are willing to accept it that is exactly what they will get.

Honestly as a fan of the program I feel I am being pushed further and further away not closer. I feel as if the radio coverage is bad, the game day atmosphere is very lacking and honestly I have been given no real reason to make the drive south to see a game. As soon as they made the decision down their to push the family four pack season ticket holders to the football seats is as soon as I made the decision that as a fan I am just not that important. For that they are not getting my season ticket support. It think it's rather ironic that they give the big donars the good seats (that never show up anyway), push the die hards further away and end up getting the net gain of a horrible game day atmosphere with horrible attendance numbers. USD's problem is that they may take care of the select few but don't do a very good job of growing the fan base and making everyone feel important, not just the influential ones. I am seriously debating giving up my football season tickets as well. I cheer loud but more often than not am told to sit down instead of cheer louder and never really get any kind of upgrade to my tickets either.
                        How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Those comments are pretty well spot on. USD just doesn't have the following that they should have. As much as people have been spoke of high praise of the new AD Sayor I have seen very little in the effort to market the overall athletic department. USD people are willing to accept the substandard far too much and far too often. If they are willing to accept it that is exactly what they will get.

Honest as a fan of the program I feel I am being pushed further and further away not closer. I feel as if the radio coverage is bad, the game day atmosphere is very lacking and honestly I have been given no real reason to make the drive south to see a game. As soon as they made the decision down their to push the family four pack season ticket holders to the football seats is as soon as I made the decision that as a fan I am just not that important. For that they are not getting my season ticket support. It think it's rather ironic that they give the big donars the good seats (that never show up anyway), push the die hards further away and end up getting the net gain of a horrible game day atmosphere with horrible attendance numbers. USD's problem is that they may take care of the select few but don't do a very good job of growing the fan base and making everyone feel important, not just the influential ones. I am seriously debating giving up my football season tickets as well. I cheer loud but more often than not am told to sit down instead of cheer louder and never really get any kind of upgrade to my tickets either.
                          Like at state, if they win a bunch this will change... the D1 transition is a process. We were lucky enough to have success during that transition. Also i think State making the jump first has dampened the gravity of the move for the more casual (USD or SD resident) onlooker.

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
                            Like at state, if they win a bunch this will change... the D1 transition is a process. We were lucky enough to have success during that transition. Also i think State making the jump first has dampened the gravity of the move for the more casual (USD or SD resident) onlooker.
                            The USD mens basketball team had a really good year last year and the attendance this year are as bad as ever. Winning does not cure all and that has been proven this year by poor overall attendance numbers.
                            How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

The biggest difference I see between the two schools is the lack of passion of USD grads to go back to Vermillion and campus after they graduate. I know some who have never gone back. I also think the community of Brookings does a better job of embracing the university students during their time there and thus their is a connection and good will and a motivation to return.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                                The biggest difference I see between the two schools is the lack of passion of USD grads to go back to Vermillion and campus after they graduate. I know some who have never gone back. I also think the community of Brookings does a better job of embracing the university students during their time there and thus their is a connection and good will and a motivation to return.
                                Accurate comment. I think if I am the Argus I see the writing on the wall and I pull Mick from the beat and give him different responsibilities. I don't think the Argus or Mick really like covering USD very much and the fans certainly are not taking to the transition very well either. The Argus should let the Yankton P&D handle the Yotes or what is left of the interest level down there.

Right now the State of South Dakota is going through serious budget cuts. As much as the small core that is left that actually cares about USD basketball would argue it might be in the best interest of the State to close down the campuses at Northern, Dakota State and Vermillion and rebuild them all under one campus in Sioux Falls. I don't know what the school would be called but as much as this state is hurting right now it would make sense to do something like this. The med schools, business school etc could be located there. Vermillion is not a big enough or dedicated enough town to support a Division 1 program, period.
                                How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Working...
                                X