Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Trouble with the law

Originally posted by SidelineObserver View Post
    Stupidity, especially the male species of teenagers and young adults, seems to be more prevalent in today's society. Look at some of the pro athletes who have gone down the tube (Pacman Jones, Mike Vick, Donte Stallworth) are fairly young. I might be making a generalization of things, but it's what I've noticed in my free time.
    I agree to a point...but back when Mickey Mantle played...no one reported the stories, and with 24/7 news everything is reported....but to say stupidity? more like lack of accountability...you know it's always someone elses fault....kinda like the bailouts...
    Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them -- a desire, a dream, a vision.
    Muhammad Ali

Comment

I read today that 3 of the players that got DUI's this summer have been reinstated the day before practice starts. If you're indefinitely suspended during the summer but don't miss any practices, does it really count as an suspension?
      I didn't look at their schedule but I wonder if they play a weak team so they can miss the 1st game as a penalty. That what some major college teams do.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
        I read today that 3 of the players that got DUI's this summer have been reinstated the day before practice starts. If you're indefinitely suspended during the summer but don't miss any practices, does it really count as an suspension?
        I didn't look at their schedule but I wonder if they play a weak team so they can miss the 1st game as a penalty. That what some major college teams do.
        NDSU opens with Iowa State

Comment

@Iowa State, @Sam Houston State, then Wagner College. There's some thought that Shamen's suspension is only one game because it was his first offense in five years, and the SHSU game will be the final time most of his family will get to see him play(he's from Florida). Though Indiana State is actually closer to his home in Florida, it's probably not as easy to get to.

Comment

Yeah, but two of them will miss two games and the other will sit out one. So I think that counts as a suspension.

I'm thinking it's probably better, when one lives in a glass house (we have 85 college kids on our team, no? And they're not infallible...) not to throw stones.
            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Two other things: First, these players were suspended during spring practices as well as the spring game. Second, there's one still up in the air; Blake Sczepanski's suspension remains indefinite. He got his DUI after the others(and all the team meetings that followed) and may face a stiffer punishment because of it.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                Yeah, but two of them will miss two games and the other will sit out one. So I think that counts as a suspension.

I'm thinking it's probably better, when one lives in a glass house (we have 85 college kids on our team, no? And they're not infallible...) not to throw stones.
                I didn't really mean to throw stones. I normally don't do that(at least try not to). I just remember reading that they would be hurting for players and then I read that those players will be back. This might even be old news but I didn't see it until today. I am no angle. I've had a couple meetings with the law, too. Everybody makes mistakes.
                I guess the really count as a suspension thing came out wrong.
                Sorry!

Comment

Originally posted by Hammersmith View Post
                  Two other things: First, these players were suspended during spring practices as well as the spring game. Second, there's one still up in the air; Blake Sczepanski's suspension remains indefinite. He got his DUI after the others(and all the team meetings that followed) and may face a stiffer punishment because of it.
                  Well how much do you credit reports that Mohler (at least) was still very much involved in team activities despite the 'suspension'?

Bohl's disciplinary actions, IMO, have been dilatory and impossible to effectively implement. You can't carry a 3-4 month 'indefinite' suspension without either 1) kicking the kid off the team or 2) having a pretty lax definition of the word 'suspension'.

I just don't see how leaving these kids in the lurch for several months makes for effective discipline (regardless of what Bohl has said.)

Comment

I didn't really mean to throw stones. I normally don't do that(at least try not to). I just remember reading that they would be hurting for players and then I read that those players will be back. This might even be old news but I didn't see it until today. I am no angle. I've had a couple meetings with the law, too. Everybody makes mistakes.
                    I guess the really count as a suspension thing came out wrong.
                    Sorry!
                    No, you're fine. We're not immune to that kind of stuff is all I'm saying. I think everybody here recognizes that and I doubt many of us are taking much pleasure in the personal struggles with alcohol and bad choices at NDSU. Thank goodness Stig and the staff are great mentors to those young men, but I know they're not all angels.

Cross your fingers and hope our kids keep making us proud and don't make any dumb decisions. That's about all you can do.
                    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                      Well how much do you credit reports that Mohler (at least) was still very much involved in team activities despite the 'suspension'?

Bohl's disciplinary actions, IMO, have been dilatory and impossible to effectively implement. You can't carry a 3-4 month 'indefinite' suspension without either 1) kicking the kid off the team or 2) having a pretty lax definition of the word 'suspension'.

I just don't see how leaving these kids in the lurch for several months makes for effective discipline (regardless of what Bohl has said.)
                      Mohler did not participate in spring practices or the the spring game, but I'm sure he was still part of summer conditioning. Can't really deny a player that unless he isn't going to be on the team.

I think Bohl had 3-4 month indefinite suspensions here because he could, he had to time to let things play out in the courts and make sure these players followed through with whatever discipline the court and school issued. Obviously during the season discipline would be handed out much sooner.

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
                        I think Bohl had 3-4 month indefinite suspensions here because he could, he had to time to let things play out in the courts and make sure these players followed through with whatever discipline the court and school issued. Obviously during the season discipline would be handed out much sooner.
                        OTOH, I wonder if the rather fuzzy punishments fostered an apparent 'doesn't matter, it's not football season' attitude among some of the more irresponsible players.

BTW: What I'd heard was that he was filming practices, etc. That the 'indefinite suspension' amounted to only a ban on scrimmages and participation in the spring game. In the NFL, at least, suspension means you're not allowed on the premises of game/practice facilities. While that doesn't translate exactly to college football, I would've thought that a shorter and more severe suspension would be more effective than a drawn out and (apparently) porous one.

Comment

Things done differently in Grand Forks:

The UND hockey team just kicked Matt Frattin off their team for his second arrest in the last four weeks.

While I'm sure any player in similar circumstances would be kicked off the NDSU football team, this is what I found interesting:

Frattin, who would have been a junior, was fined, suspended two games, had scholarship money reduced and was ordered to counseling for the first incident.
                          http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/250365/

Despite the season being a few months out and school out of session. Frattin was dealt with. He wasn't 'suspended indefinitely'.

There is, IMO, some benefit to quickly administering discipline--regardless of whether school's in session, or the sport's in season.

Understand, this isn't a slam at NDSU in general or Bison football in particular, but it highlights an area where, IMO, Bohl's disciplinary actions (or lack thereof) have created more problems for him.

Comment

(Nov 9, 2009) Rumors about the NDSU freshman QB are just that: rumors. I'm deleting the posts commenting on the reports picked up from other sites (I'm the guilty party for picking dragging the rumor into this message board).
                            Last edited by JackJD; 11-09-2009, 10:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X