• Show
Clear All

Forgot to put the MVFC weekly scores

Jacks squeak by Youngstown St, 19-17
    UND keeps rolling with first road game at WIU, 38-21
    SIU wins late at home over UNI, 17-16
    ndsu survives at home over Illinois St, 21-13
    usd opens up renovated dome with a loss to Da Bears, 27-24

Never a boring week in the Valley. Things will only get better this week with the ND schools meeting and the Jacks at SIU.
    Rollin' in my 5.0
    With my rag-top down so my hair can blow!
    Nod your head to this Jackrabbits!

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post

Coach Nielsen received a 5-year extension in July 2019 so his contract is through 2024. He is not going anywhere.
      Was it a 5 ywar or a 3 year? I didn't think the state was allowing a 5 year contract. Bit then again, they weren't allowing multi year contracts until the yotes decided to just break the rule (dumb though it was) anyway.

If the Alumni cared enough to force him out, they certainly would have the money to do so. But I don't think they do care, and that's somewhat unheard of at the FCS level. Plus, to many alums, he beat SDSU once, and that's all he needs to be known for to them.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post

Was it a 5 ywar or a 3 year? I didn't think the state was allowing a 5 year contract. Bit then again, they weren't allowing multi year contracts until the yotes decided to just break the rule (dumb though it was) anyway.

If the Alumni cared enough to force him out, they certainly would have the money to do so. But I don't think they do care, and that's somewhat unheard of at the FCS level. Plus, to many alums, he beat SDSU once, and that's all he needs to be known for to them.
        “VERMILLION, S.D.—South Dakota Athletic Director David Herbster announced a five-year contract with head football coach Bob Nielson on Monday. The announcement follows another milestone year for Nielson, who surpassed 200 collegiate victories last season.”

https://goyotes.com/news/2019/7/15/f...-year-contract

Stig signed a 5 year extension as well and before Nielsen’s.
        https://gojacks.com/news/2018/12/12/...px?mobile=skip
        Last edited by UWMandSDSU; 03-15-2021, 08:58 PM.

Comment

Curious what people on this board's leaning are for UND vs NDSU. While watching watching Bison lose is always great and makes it tougher for them to make the postseason, you always want the number 1 team to take an L. A UND loss would help the Jacks in the sense that at least a share of the of the conference title would be in play, but it still doesn't help them with the autobid, unless UND loses a second game. I also think a UND loss hurts the Jacks chance at a seed if both teams finish 7-1. It's going to be tough to get two seeded Valley teams as is, but if both are 7-1, UND gets the nod. Whereas if UND is 8-0 and ends up 1/2, SDSU at 7-1 has a chance at the 3/4. If UND had a tougher schedule going forward, I think I'd be rooting for NDSU, because the autobid would be more up for grabs. But with the Sioux needing a second loss to give it to the Jacks and the chance to have the Bison move onto the bubble this Saturday, I think it makes more sense to hope for a UND win. Not to mention, the meltdown in Fargo would be delicious to watch. Plus, I like Bubba a whole hell of a lot more than Entz...

Comment

Curious what people on this board's leaning are for UND vs NDSU. While watching watching Bison lose is always great and makes it tougher for them to make the postseason, you always want the number 1 team to take an L. A UND loss would help the Jacks in the sense that at least a share of the of the conference title would be in play, but it still doesn't help them with the autobid, unless UND loses a second game. I also think a UND loss hurts the Jacks chance at a seed if both teams finish 7-1. It's going to be tough to get two seeded Valley teams as is, but if both are 7-1, UND gets the nod. Whereas if UND is 8-0 and ends up 1/2, SDSU at 7-1 has a chance at the 3/4. If UND had a tougher schedule going forward, I think I'd be rooting for NDSU, because the autobid would be more up for grabs. But with the Sioux needing a second loss to give it to the Jacks and the chance to have the Bison move onto the bubble this Saturday, I think it makes more sense to hope for a UND win. Not to mention, the meltdown in Fargo would be delicious to watch. Plus, I like Bubba a whole hell of a lot more than Entz...
            When the Jacks finish 7-1, they'll have defeated at least three ranked teams on the road (UNI, SIU, and NDSU), whereas UND would have defeated only one ranked team on the road (NDSU), which isn't much of a road trip.

I'll delude myself into thinking that the voters will consider that scheduling quirk and hope that the Redbirds upset the Hawks to end the season as insurance.

Comment

Bears beat UNI in Cedar Falls today. And the yotes got pummeled in Youngstown. ISUr picked up first win of the season over WIU, and NDSU slapped UND back down to reality in Fargo. Should be a fun finish.

Comment

Bears beat UNI in Cedar Falls today. And the yotes got pummeled in Youngstown. ISUr picked up first win of the season over WIU, and NDSU slapped UND back down to reality in Fargo. Should be a fun finish.
                I'm afraid all NDSU was missing was there fullback, Sheesh. UND had NO answer.

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post

I'm afraid all NDSU was missing was there fullback, Sheesh. UND had NO answer.
                  If they try that in a couple weeks, hopefully the Krock Pot's fired up for some "Bison FB Stew" (Noland-daise Sauce optional)

Comment

Illinois St had opted out of rest of spring season.

Comment

Originally posted by NWHSUandSDSU View Post
                      Illinois St had opted out of rest of spring season.
                      Spack has been vocal about Spring season being an iffy proposition, even as recently as last week in the article I linked to in the Saluki GDT.

Could you see other teams in conference that've essentially been eliminated from playoff consideration following suit?

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post

Spack has been vocal about Spring season being an iffy proposition, even as recently as last week in the article I linked to in the Saluki GDT.

Could you see other teams in conference that've essentially been eliminated from playoff consideration following suit?
                        UNI next? WIU.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post

UNI next? WIU.
                          I was thinking YSU then WIU, but UNI wouldn't surprise me. There's discussion that Valley could give Redbirds' opponents that've been impacted forfeits, but I don't see how that'd matter much (sure it helps winning percentage, but both Jacks and UND would benefit)

I'd prefer to see Valley shift schedule to have UNI play UND somehow on a neutral site to give currently ranked Valley teams another common opponent (and UND a potential loss)

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post

I was thinking YSU then WIU, but UNI wouldn't surprise me. There's discussion that Valley could give Redbirds' opponents that've been impacted forfeits, but I don't see how that'd matter much (sure it helps winning percentage, but both Jacks and UND would benefit)

I'd prefer to see Valley shift schedule to have UNI play UND somehow on a neutral site to give currently ranked Valley teams another common opponent (and UND a potential loss)
                            If they do that, then they likely make the Jacks play MSU. Which is no bargain with the way the Bears have been playing. Plus the games would have to be played April 17th, which puts those teams at a disadvantage by not having the week off before the playoffs start.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post

If they do that, then they likely make the Jacks play MSU. Which is no bargain with the way the Bears have been playing. Plus the games would have to be played April 17th, which puts those teams at a disadvantage by not having the week off before the playoffs start.
                              Or just axe one game for each team and make UND, SDSU, and NDSU finishing the season with the max. number of common opponents a priority.

The Valley is already playing more than the minimum number of games to qualify for the playoffs, and they'd still play more than CAA playoff qualifiers are likely to, even if they do cut a game for each school, so they're putting playoff qualifiers in the conference at a disadvantage by playing more games than other conferences

Comment

Also, I'm seeing some Jacks fans on Twitter griping about Jacks having to play Redbirds on the road during Fall 2021, but Jacks' next game against them isn't until 2022, and it's at home (unless schedules are incorrect)

It's almost as questionable as the narrative that a game Saturday would still be a trap game despite their DL injuries

Comment

Working...
                                X