X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mr_Tibbs
    replied
    Re: MVFC 2018 Season

My take on USD is that Neilson is very much a "system" coach, and patterns have started to show themselves in his teams.

1) The offense they run is asmuch about speed between snaps and number of offensive plays as it is scheme. Their offense is fairly basic, but they run it fast. I mentioned earlier, but if they get "off pace" and face a 3rd and long, their production seems to drop off.

2) Recruiting down there seems to have improved, but I think it's mostly been at the skill position. Their line is atrocious this year.

3) They are really undisciplined. Lots and lots of unsportsmanlike penalties and untamed emotion.

4) Simmons has a great deep ball. But he holds onto it way too long, panics with pressure, and makes bad decisions if they get "off pace".

5) Their run game is non existant this year. Yote fans don't understand why, but I think it's pretty obvious that their ground production the last two years was a product of Chris Streveler. And now that he's gone, they have to reinvent their ground scheme with a QB that, while capable in running the ball, is not even close to the talent that Strev was.

I'd be very surprised of they are better than 6-5 this season. I also think YSU will take them out on Saturday. If the game were in verm, I'd say the yotes would be favored. In Youngstown, I think it's the guins.

All of that being said, I think Nielson is a hell of a coach. But it also seems to me like USD, at best, will be a program under him that may occasionally contend for playoffs, but settles into average in the mvfc. They don't play good D down there, and the offense relies on surprise and speed to put up points. When USD has played anyone with a good D this year so far, they've been inept on O since they can't get into a hurry up timing.

Leave a comment:

• GopherHole
    replied

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
    For USD to make it, that's probably going to require them beating NDSU or SDSU as well as probably running the table for the rest of the season. I think they are struggling a bit. Nielsen is a heck of a coach, but this is his toughest test yet, with that program.
    USD has beat the teams they were supposed to and have lost to those that are better than them. You are spot on with projecting their need to run the table and either beating NDSU or SDSU to qualify for the playoffs. That loss after leading late to KSU is becoming a bigger loss than the moral victor it appeared to be in August. Getting dominated by Weber State's defense was tell-tale on what kind of team they are. Giving up back-to-back TD's in the last minute of the first half against UNI could have spelled doom to their season. I actually hope that they bring a 6-4 record into Brookings the last week of the season. It would make for a fun, playoff type atmosphere and hopefully fill the stands better than if the game has no meaning.

Leave a comment:

• da_coach
    replied

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
    For the last 4 years, MoSt has been a W, especially in Brookings. I think this year, it’s a good thing we’re hosting rather than playing there. I’d be perfectly happy to have all 4 Dakota in the playoffs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    For USD to make it, that's probably going to require them beating NDSU or SDSU as well as probably running the table for the rest of the season. I think they are struggling a bit. Nielsen is a heck of a coach, but this is his toughest test yet, with that program.

Leave a comment:

• rabidrabbit
    replied

For the last 4 years, MoSt has been a W, especially in Brookings. I think this year, it’s a good thing we’re hosting rather than playing there. I’d be perfectly happy to have all 4 Dakota in the playoffs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• WestSideRabbit
    replied

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
    No unexpected outcomes from this last weekend and the standings are pretty full of teams with postseason dreams. The next two weeks could sort out the pretenders from those with championship dreams. I'm a dreamer.

NDSU (3-0) hosts ISU red and travels to Vermillion.
    Illinois State (2-1) travels to Fargo and hosts SDSU.
    SDSU (2-1) travels to UNI and ISU red.
    Missouri State (2-1) hosts Western and Southern Illinois.
    UNI (2-1) hosts SDSU and travels to Western.
    USD (2-1) travels to Youngstown and hosts NDSU.
    Western Ill (1-2) travels to Missouri State and hosts UNI.
    YSU (1-2) hosts USD and ISU blue.
    ISU blue (0-3) travels to SIU and YSU.
    So. Illinois (0-3) hosts ISU blue and travels to MSU.

I would not be surprised to see Missouri State alone in 2nd on November 1st with a few other contenders a game back. If SDSU is alone in 2nd at that time, I could honestly start thinking about dreams of a #2 seed. Until then, too many quality opponents in the way.
    Here's hoping YSU knocks off USD this weekend. I'd like to see USD below or at .500 where they belong. I'm glad Illinois State has to go get beat up in Fargo before we play them. We know how physical NDSU is and it can likely only help if the redbirds get beat up a bit, like us. It'd be nice if they could escape Fargo with a win. Injuries are starting to accumulate for NDSU a bit too but nothing super serious like Wallace. Bruce Anderson and Robbie Grimsley have some hamstring issues but sounds like they aren't severe. Western at Missouri State will be an interesting game forsure. Is Missouri State for real this year?

Leave a comment:

• GopherHole
    replied

No unexpected outcomes from this last weekend and the standings are pretty full of teams with postseason dreams. The next two weeks could sort out the pretenders from those with championship dreams. I'm a dreamer.

NDSU (3-0) hosts ISU red and travels to Vermillion.
    Illinois State (2-1) travels to Fargo and hosts SDSU.
    SDSU (2-1) travels to UNI and ISU red.
    Missouri State (2-1) hosts Western and Southern Illinois.
    UNI (2-1) hosts SDSU and travels to Western.
    USD (2-1) travels to Youngstown and hosts NDSU.
    Western Ill (1-2) travels to Missouri State and hosts UNI.
    YSU (1-2) hosts USD and ISU blue.
    ISU blue (0-3) travels to SIU and YSU.
    So. Illinois (0-3) hosts ISU blue and travels to MSU.

I would not be surprised to see Missouri State alone in 2nd on November 1st with a few other contenders a game back. If SDSU is alone in 2nd at that time, I could honestly start thinking about dreams of a #2 seed. Until then, too many quality opponents in the way.

Leave a comment:

• Mr_Tibbs
    replied

Not to sound like a blatant Coyote hater, but USD has not impressed me much. Simmons has a cannon for an arm, but he has to have the perfect set up for it to be effective. Their o line has been ineffective in pass protect, and he is a deer in the headlights under pressure. They don't have much of a ground game, and their D hasn't been a strength either. They are really good on O if they can get 5+ yards on 1st down arena go hurry up. If they get behind schedule, they have to slow down and then look very pedestrian. I don't see them better than 7-4.

Leave a comment:

• Nidaros
    replied

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
    Two weeks in and it looks like there maybe more questions than answers for league teams. Here's a look at the standings and notes for each team.

NDSU (2-0): NDSU is where they belong, at the top of the standings. However, for being one of the best teams in school history there seems to be some holes. Giving up 24 points to UNI in the first half last week before pouring it on in the 2nd half. We all know that the Jackrabbits had their opportunities to win the previous week. NDSU will likely roll through their remaining schedule, with Western Illinois, Illinois State, and USD the next best chance for them to stumble. No FBS team to test them this year and their out of conference schedule was about as soft as they've had in recent memory. If they don't finish the regular season undefeated with the #1 seed going into the tourney, it would be a huge disappointment for the Bison faithful.

USD (2-0): Just win baby. With 7 point wins over both the Salukis and the Bears, they join the Bison as the only other undefeated team in the MVFC. Their 7 point loss to Kansas State validates that there is life after Strevler. The next three weeks will validate if they will be competitive for a postseason game or not. They host UNI this week, travel to Youngstown next, and host the Bison after that. If they are 3-2 after that run, they will have a legit shot.

Illinois State (1-1): A puzzling loss to Missouri State is the only blemish on their record thus far. They've been dominant versus two cream puffs, and followed that up with wins against Colorado State, and Western Illinois. Makes that loss to the Bears even more puzzling. They have a soft Salukis team coming to town this week before traveling to Fargo on the 20th. That could spell the difference from being a high seed in the playoffs to likely hosting a first round game. It would be a huge blunder for them to not qualify for postseason play.

SDSU (1-1): While everyone has a thought or two over the disappointing win over ISU blue, the Jacks are still 3-1 overall with a close loss to the northern bovine as the only blemish in the win column. If the defense can get fixed after what was hopefully an anomaly, nearly all goals for the season are still in front of us. Need a solid performance on Hobo Day to set the table for the Redbirds and the rest of the season.

Missouri State (1-1): Who are the Bears? Are they the team that handed the Redbirds their only loss the week after they rolled then ranked #20 NAU by 32 points? Or are they the team that gave up over 500 yards in a loss in Vermillion last week? They get ISU blue and both directional Illinois schools before coming to Brookings and then hosting NDSU. They must win the next three to set the table for a potential postseason bid. Their final three games are as tough as anyone in the MVFC. (SDSU/NDSU/UNI)

UNI (1-1): Playing an excellent half against the Bison is no moral victory. Getting outscored 35-7 in the second half is not what teams that want to compete for championships do. Losing to Montana early in the season could have a significant impact on postseason positioning. They have no soft teams remaining on their schedule, unless YSU or MSU have a meltdown towards the end.

Western Illinois (1-1): The culture is changing in Macomb, but it would still be hard to see this team qualify for postseason play. Back to back wins versus the Griz and the Guins show potential, but the reality of their loss last week to Illinois State and their likely stampede from the Bison this week show that a .500 season is a good goal.

YSU (1-1): The fighting Pelinis come to Brookings hoping to make a statement. Thus far, their statement games are a loss to Butler and splitting with the directional Illinois schools. A pair of games against the Rabbits and Yotes could spell doom for the Guins season. They need to win the next two games to have any shot at postseason play.

Indiana State (0-2): Moral victory last week and getting manhandled the week before by UNI. This building project will take some time. Their saving grace to this season is no date with NDSU and they did beat Eastern Illinois.

Southern Illinois (0-2): They may end up the season 1-10 after opening the season with a 49-10 win versus Murray State. Hope they enjoyed boat racing the Racers! They do get Indiana State for Homecoming, but if the Trees build off their success in Brookings, the Salukis could end the season alone in the cellar.
    The bottom three programs all have relatively new coaches that is if you consider Bo new at YSU. All three are potential trap games.

Leave a comment:

• GopherHole
    replied

Two weeks in and it looks like there maybe more questions than answers for league teams. Here's a look at the standings and notes for each team.

NDSU (2-0): NDSU is where they belong, at the top of the standings. However, for being one of the best teams in school history there seems to be some holes. Giving up 24 points to UNI in the first half last week before pouring it on in the 2nd half. We all know that the Jackrabbits had their opportunities to win the previous week. NDSU will likely roll through their remaining schedule, with Western Illinois, Illinois State, and USD the next best chance for them to stumble. No FBS team to test them this year and their out of conference schedule was about as soft as they've had in recent memory. If they don't finish the regular season undefeated with the #1 seed going into the tourney, it would be a huge disappointment for the Bison faithful.

USD (2-0): Just win baby. With 7 point wins over both the Salukis and the Bears, they join the Bison as the only other undefeated team in the MVFC. Their 7 point loss to Kansas State validates that there is life after Strevler. The next three weeks will validate if they will be competitive for a postseason game or not. They host UNI this week, travel to Youngstown next, and host the Bison after that. If they are 3-2 after that run, they will have a legit shot.

Illinois State (1-1): A puzzling loss to Missouri State is the only blemish on their record thus far. They've been dominant versus two cream puffs, and followed that up with wins against Colorado State, and Western Illinois. Makes that loss to the Bears even more puzzling. They have a soft Salukis team coming to town this week before traveling to Fargo on the 20th. That could spell the difference from being a high seed in the playoffs to likely hosting a first round game. It would be a huge blunder for them to not qualify for postseason play.

SDSU (1-1): While everyone has a thought or two over the disappointing win over ISU blue, the Jacks are still 3-1 overall with a close loss to the northern bovine as the only blemish in the win column. If the defense can get fixed after what was hopefully an anomaly, nearly all goals for the season are still in front of us. Need a solid performance on Hobo Day to set the table for the Redbirds and the rest of the season.

Missouri State (1-1): Who are the Bears? Are they the team that handed the Redbirds their only loss the week after they rolled then ranked #20 NAU by 32 points? Or are they the team that gave up over 500 yards in a loss in Vermillion last week? They get ISU blue and both directional Illinois schools before coming to Brookings and then hosting NDSU. They must win the next three to set the table for a potential postseason bid. Their final three games are as tough as anyone in the MVFC. (SDSU/NDSU/UNI)

UNI (1-1): Playing an excellent half against the Bison is no moral victory. Getting outscored 35-7 in the second half is not what teams that want to compete for championships do. Losing to Montana early in the season could have a significant impact on postseason positioning. They have no soft teams remaining on their schedule, unless YSU or MSU have a meltdown towards the end.

Western Illinois (1-1): The culture is changing in Macomb, but it would still be hard to see this team qualify for postseason play. Back to back wins versus the Griz and the Guins show potential, but the reality of their loss last week to Illinois State and their likely stampede from the Bison this week show that a .500 season is a good goal.

YSU (1-1): The fighting Pelinis come to Brookings hoping to make a statement. Thus far, their statement games are a loss to Butler and splitting with the directional Illinois schools. A pair of games against the Rabbits and Yotes could spell doom for the Guins season. They need to win the next two games to have any shot at postseason play.

Indiana State (0-2): Moral victory last week and getting manhandled the week before by UNI. This building project will take some time. Their saving grace to this season is no date with NDSU and they did beat Eastern Illinois.

Southern Illinois (0-2): They may end up the season 1-10 after opening the season with a 49-10 win versus Murray State. Hope they enjoyed boat racing the Racers! They do get Indiana State for Homecoming, but if the Trees build off their success in Brookings, the Salukis could end the season alone in the cellar.

Leave a comment:

• RowdyRabbit
    replied

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
    Watching the MSU-USD game...the Bears look very improved this season
    I just turned the game on the radio in pickup while wife is shopping...I swear I just heard van goor refer to himself as THE Joe van goor....this is the first time I've heard his radio call. Uffda is all I'll say.

Leave a comment:

• SoDakJack
    replied

Watching the MSU-USD game...the Bears look very improved this season

Leave a comment:

• SoDakJack
    replied

Originally posted by goon View Post
    I think the coaches were to worried about the oline holding their own.
    Then you let TC use his legs to get out of trouble. ALthough it has seemed that he has been a little hesitant to actually run with the ball outside of the deisgned plays. That is what made him so dangerous a couple years ago

Leave a comment:

• goon
    replied

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
    This is where SDSU lost the game last week. The inability, or unwillingness, to press downfield in the passing game.
    I think the coaches were to worried about the oline holding their own.

Leave a comment:

• SoDakJack
    replied

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
    256 yards in the air
    This is where SDSU lost the game last week. The inability, or unwillingness, to press downfield in the passing game.

Leave a comment:

• OldHare
    replied

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
    When is the last time a Bison defense gave up 24 points in the first half?? Or either half for that matter!?!
    256 yards in the air

Leave a comment:

Working...
X