X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• da_coach
    replied
    Re: MVFC 2018 Season

Just of note, before SDSU/USD started, I was watching Army/Colgate.

Colgate looked good. This is a good Army team this year, and Colgate was playing right with them.

Just a thought.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
    I really doubt that the MVFC gets in 4 teams tbh. They would have to take TWO 6 DI win teams. I just don’t see it happening. If ISUb wins then I think they’re probably in. I have a hard time seeing UNI in at 6-5 with no FBS win. The only reason I could see them or WIU getting in is if ISUb loses and the committee feels the Valley deserves 3 teams resume be damned, and then I think they probably go with WIU due to head to head wins. This is all of the assumption that we don’t have another week of absolute chaos with the playoff bubble. Nichols winning last night helped bubble teams because it likely makes the Southland a 1 bid league. Need some more good fortune for the Valley to get 4, but one of the things that would help the Valley is Weber beating ISUo and that hurts our seed capabilities. So go Idaho State cause I don’t give a rip how many teams our conference gets in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    i bet this is what happens. The valley has too strong of a rep to only get 2 teams in. Resume be damned somebody out of those 3 will make it. If they’re tied at six fcs wins I have to say uni would be tough to beat simply cuz they have a likely top 5 win and lead ndsu for most of the game.

Leave a comment:

• thumper_76
    replied

Originally posted by Roy View Post
    Going in to the final weekend Dratings.com (never heard of them) has 4 MVFC teams penciled in, Jacks, Bison, ISU (blue) and UNI. Selection show on 11/18! Go Jacks!!
    I really doubt that the MVFC gets in 4 teams tbh. They would have to take TWO 6 DI win teams. I just don’t see it happening. If ISUb wins then I think they’re probably in. I have a hard time seeing UNI in at 6-5 with no FBS win. The only reason I could see them or WIU getting in is if ISUb loses and the committee feels the Valley deserves 3 teams resume be damned, and then I think they probably go with WIU due to head to head wins. This is all of the assumption that we don’t have another week of absolute chaos with the playoff bubble. Nichols winning last night helped bubble teams because it likely makes the Southland a 1 bid league. Need some more good fortune for the Valley to get 4, but one of the things that would help the Valley is Weber beating ISUo and that hurts our seed capabilities. So go Idaho State cause I don’t give a rip how many teams our conference gets in.

Leave a comment:

• Roy
    replied

Going in to the final weekend Dratings.com (never heard of them) has 4 MVFC teams penciled in, Jacks, Bison, ISU (blue) and UNI. Selection show on 11/18! Go Jacks!!

Leave a comment:

• 91jack
    replied

The top 8 already do get a week off. Do you mean an extra week on top of it or am I just confused?

I might not have made it clear but they were talking about going back to a 16 team playoff.
    I think if you do that some automatic bid teams will get killed. This way all of the teams that are #9-24 have to beat another playoff team to play a top seed. The #25 team (because of an automatic bid) doesn't have to go to NDSU the first week and get beat up/killed. Of course, the #16 team will go there and get beat up anyway but it shouldn't be as bad.
    The bye week does give a team like SDSU a week off to get healthier so maybe playing a little tougher team will even out because it will help the top teams get closer to full strength for the playoffs.
    That way you should have fairly competitive games week 1 of the playoffs and healthier top teams later in the playoffs.
    I see the system as a win-win as it is.

Leave a comment:

• thumper_76
    replied

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
    I could be wrong but I think when it got to 16 teams left in the playoffs last year only 2 teams that were left were not ranked in the top 18 in the final FCS poll. I go by 18 since you have the two conference champs that opt out of the playoffs. That means that if you only have a 16 team playoff, you would have about the same match ups but a couple of the "bad" auto bids wouldn't have a chance to lose out in their first round game. This way the top 8 teams get a off week to get healthy too so they are more at full strength later in the playoffs.
    The top 8 already do get a week off. Do you mean an extra week on top of it or am I just confused?

Leave a comment:

• 91jack
    replied

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
    Yes. I'm okay with 24, because it adds more schools and fan bases into the post season, which is fun. It doesn't help the games be more competitive, but I'm not sure they would be if they went back to 16 today either. People like to point out how exciting the field was when it was 16, but they fail to mention that part of what made it exciting back then was the GSU/App State/Marshall/UMass teams of the division making it more comoetitive. Back then, Delaware, Montana, and McNeese were all at the top of the standings too, which added a lot to it. So I'm not sure if going back to 16 would automatically make the first round games better than the current set up. It would certainly make things more cut and dry.

I think 24 would be perfect if we had the IVY/MEAC/SWAC champions in the field too. This year, including those conferences would add in at least 4 quality teams to the field. 24 without them means we have to fill in those slots with #2 and #3 teams from places like the Ohio Valley.
    I could be wrong but I think when it got to 16 teams left in the playoffs last year only 2 teams that were left were not ranked in the top 18 in the final FCS poll. I go by 18 since you have the two conference champs that opt out of the playoffs. That means that if you only have a 16 team playoff, you would have about the same match ups but a couple of the "bad" auto bids wouldn't have a chance to lose out in their first round game. This way the top 8 teams get a off week to get healthy too so they are more at full strength later in the playoffs.

Leave a comment:

• thumper_76
    replied

Originally posted by Evolution Prime View Post
    How about the bus-rule for the 1st round games, then re-seed those winners and send them off to their respective matchups. Though I could see the top 8 seeds not liking it as is basically takes away a week of focusing on only two teams.
    Wouldnt be bad IMO but i dont think that changes anytime soon either. It makes too much sense and still saves the commitee abiut what it saves them now.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Evolution Prime
    replied

What really needs to happen is to do away with the bus rule, but that will never happen.
    How about the bus-rule for the 1st round games, then re-seed those winners and send them off to their respective matchups. Though I could see the top 8 seeds not liking it as is basically takes away a week of focusing on only two teams.

Leave a comment:

• thumper_76
    replied

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
    I did not know that. When it was 16 teams, were there only 8 auto bids? Did 2 conferences get added?
    Yes. Pioneer got their auto bid and the Big South if I remember correctly. Going to 24 allows it to stay at the same number of the HBCUs and the Ivy decide to partake in the playoffs. I’m perfectly fine with the 24 team field. More football is always more fun to me. What really needs to happen is to do away with the bus rule, but that will never happen. Besides, if San Diego can have two years in a row with playoff W’s, who knows who could come out of nowhere. I got a feeling once teams like North Alabama and some of the Southland teams get their sea legs, 24 won’t feel so crowded. There’s a legit chance that the Big South could become a 4th power conference if Campbell, Monmouth, and UNA keep getting better. That would wash out a decent chunk of poor at large teams.

Leave a comment:

• Mr_Tibbs
    replied

Back then, the Pioneer didn't have an autobid, the Big South only started offering football in 2002, and I believe the NEC did not have a bid either. The Patriot may not have also had an auto bid back then either, but I'm not entirely sure. Back then, most conferences that didn't offer any/full scholarship numbers were not eligible for an automatic bid. I believe the NEC is still capped at 45 full scholarships today, but I could be wrong.

Leave a comment:

• CappinHard
    replied

Originally posted by Evolution Prime View Post
    Only way to get back to 16 is to start revoking auto bids. Since it is a NCAA sponsored postseason, at-large bids must at least equal auto bids. Lowest we can get to right now is 20. I guess that would be a start.
    I did not know that. When it was 16 teams, were there only 8 auto bids? Did 2 conferences get added?

Leave a comment:

• Evolution Prime
    replied

Only way to get back to 16 is to start revoking auto bids. Since it is a NCAA sponsored postseason, at-large bids must at least equal auto bids. Lowest we can get to right now is 20. I guess that would be a start.

Leave a comment:

• Mr_Tibbs
    replied

*whispers* the field is too big, it should only be 16
    Yes. I'm okay with 24, because it adds more schools and fan bases into the post season, which is fun. It doesn't help the games be more competitive, but I'm not sure they would be if they went back to 16 today either. People like to point out how exciting the field was when it was 16, but they fail to mention that part of what made it exciting back then was the GSU/App State/Marshall/UMass teams of the division making it more comoetitive. Back then, Delaware, Montana, and McNeese were all at the top of the standings too, which added a lot to it. So I'm not sure if going back to 16 would automatically make the first round games better than the current set up. It would certainly make things more cut and dry.

I think 24 would be perfect if we had the IVY/MEAC/SWAC champions in the field too. This year, including those conferences would add in at least 4 quality teams to the field. 24 without them means we have to fill in those slots with #2 and #3 teams from places like the Ohio Valley.

Leave a comment:

• RowdyRabbit
    replied

*whispers* the field is too big, it should only be 16
    Don't whisper that. It needs to be shouted.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X